Fraser Pink run, half of projection.Dont know why.

Wasn't a surprise Sooke/Vic had worst fishery for them this year. That was very alarming on pink year, so I am not surprised. They were not around in big numbers, but the ones that were where very large co compared to normal.

He is a scientist and he said:
no one really knows why ocean survival has been so poor. Food, predators, and especially ocean warming could be factors. “It’s smart to be humble and admit we don’t know,” he said. “All we know is they didn’t come back.”
I am not a scientist, and he said "Food, predators and especially ocean warming COULD be factors." i'm just saying FISH FARMS "COULD" be factors also.

[QUOTE="terrin, post: 852217, member: 4116 i'm just saying FISH FARMS "COULD" be factors also.[/QUOTE]

Fish Farms ARE a factor.
None of the Fish Farm supporters have ever denied that Fish Farms kill wild salmon.
AND no one has ever said Fish Farms are the only factor in the alarming decline of some runs!!
It's is a complex problem with no single clear and obvious cause.
It baffles me how some can argue otherwise.

Last edited:
I find this pretty disturbing, with all the various government and NGO entities studying marine life, climate change, etc. are we really saying we don't have water temp data available? We know the technology has existed for decades. This is an incredibly basic parameter and we don't have measurements, something is wrong where is the money being spent? Where is all the data we're basing our science and policy decisions on? This doesn't add up.
Seems to me that lots of data have been collected. I am referring to the annual LineP cruises. https://www.waterproperties.ca/linep/2011-27/index.php#Profiles
Those data must be useful for something.

Lapointe said most ocean temperature readings are taken at the surface and may not fully reflect temperatures experienced by salmon deeper in the water. “We don’t really have the systematic sampling out there … don’t have the data to really answer the question you might want answered.”

A so-called “blob” of warm water identified in the North Pacific in the winter of 2013 and lasting into 2015 resulted in ocean temperatures in some areas of three degrees C above normal.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada said that warm ocean conditions can cause a change in species of plankton, from high-nutrition northern types to low-nutrition southern types, while increasing the presence of warmer water predators.

lpynn@postmedia.com

I find this disturbing that such statements from this news article do not reflect the current state of what we do know about ocean temps. We have a good understanding of ocean temps from the surface to 2000 meters below. This is not new as the Argo program has been around since 2000. Here is current map of where these are located.
status.gif

Here is a link to there website.
http://www.argo.ucsd.edu/

Before Argo
In the era before Argo (2003), measurements of ocean temperature were made from ships by putting a thermometer in a bucket of water drawn up from the surface or in the inlet valves of the engines, or by diving darts (XBTs) that could dive down to 800m with a thermometer, transmitting the data back to the ship along thin wires. The uncertainties in the temperature measurements made by the XBTs falling through the ocean were huge, because the XBTs fell too quickly to come into thermal equilibrium with the water around them. Also, there is a very strong temperature gradient in the surface layer of the ocean to below the thermocline , so the depth attributed to each temperature data point is arrived at from an assumed rate of descent of the instrument. Any deviation from the assumed rate of descent will put the instrument (and temperature) at the wrong depth, making the calculated temperature still more uncertain. Measurements from thermometers in buckets of water variously obtained are obviously hugely imprecise.

The geographic distribution of the sampling was sparse and very uneven, because the samples were taken along commercial shipping routes, somewhat irregularly. Most shipping lanes are in the northern hemisphere, but most of the world’s oceans are in the southern hemisphere — much of the southern ocean is hundreds or thousands of kilometers from where samples were taken. The oceans are really big, yet the presence of currents and layers at different temperatures means temperatures can be quite different in waters just a few hundred meters apart.

Obviously the errors are so huge compared to the expected/modeled increases (less than a tenth of a degree C per decade) that pre-Argo data is useless.

Last edited:
Does anyone have information of pink returns to the deadman river tributary of the Thompson river? I was there just last week and there were lots of spawned out pinks. It looked like the stream had received full capacity for spawners in the area I visited. The Thompson itself had very few morts. Is it possible that Deadman creek is having a different spawner to returning spawner survival rate than other Fraser stocks. Deadman creek did also have more stream taxa than all the other streams I surveyed in the area. Thompson had the least.
Grouping of all of Fraser pink runs into one ocean survival of 1.6 could be what is steering everyone from the truth in all the salmon losses. I am curious as to how concrete numbers of out going fry are composed and how the individual runs are factored in.
From what I seen on my stream visits last week was similar to Vancouver island. It is that most smaller streams are showing better signs of recovering ecology and the larger streams were set back again in 2016. Not that any believes in it but this is now an opposite reaction from when acid rain first started negative effects back in the 1990's. As the acid rain is gone for now the larger waterways are simply slower it cleanse and do not have healthy ecology.

Back