Fraser Chinook Issues

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
The PDF was to large to upload but the issues are important as they could have some impacts in 2019. Let me know If these Screen shots worked. I have also been told their are a few errors in this document, Fraser Chinook it says have been "identified as critical habitat." It should read an important diet source.

upload_2018-11-16_8-34-10.png
upload_2018-11-16_8-34-39.png
upload_2018-11-16_8-35-1.png
upload_2018-11-16_8-35-32.png
upload_2018-11-16_8-35-53.png
upload_2018-11-16_8-36-17.png
upload_2018-11-16_8-37-4.png
upload_2018-11-16_8-37-31.png
upload_2018-11-16_8-38-8.png
upload_2018-11-16_8-38-51.png

I should also note that their is a lot of people that are looking at the Chinook Fraser Issue as a freshwater one. Capilano use Harrison brood and is having good returns this year. Cowichan is have great return this year and Harrison Chinook share a similar range in the ocean to Cowichan Chinook.

Their will be some people behind the scene this year tying to push DFO to look into why there are these inconsistencies. This is being looked at as a Fraser River problem not a coast wide problem.

I hate to bump this one but everyone should have a look because I have a feeling that their may be more management measure around these stocks in the future.

I hate to bump this one but everyone should have a look because I have a feeling that their may be more management measure around these stocks in the future.
Indeed. I think some folks are still in pure shock. There were some indications that there were lots of Harrison whites in the ocean. Where did they all get to? Chatted with one person last night who has friends in Washington State and they had to release Chinook, but said there were a lot of what they thought were Canadian fish staging on the US side of the border bank area.

On a heavy sockeye year with lots of in-river fishing pressure perhaps there is more than ever a need for purely selective fishing methodology to be employed by all fishers (rec, commercial, FN).

Indeed. I think some folks are still in pure shock. There were some indications that there were lots of Harrison whites in the ocean. Where did they all get to? Chatted with one person last night who has friends in Washington State and they had to release Chinook, but said there were a lot of what they thought were Canadian fish staging on the US side of the border bank area.

On a heavy sockeye year with lots of in-river fishing pressure perhaps there is more than ever a need for purely selective fishing methodology to be employed by all fishers (rec, commercial, FN).

Capilano that uses harrison/Chilliwack brood had returns this year above its 5 year average. I have not seen what the Chilliwack hatchery/Harrison white returns data yet tho for comparison.

Indeed it looks like there was some in river issues, With perhaps the out going smolts or the returns getting over exploited.

Some of the other stocks would of been really exploited in sockeye fisheries coast wide like the south thompson who are pretty much identical run timing. They were historically hammered and their returns dropped to less than 2k fish, Then in more recent times rebounded to 100k. Now it looks like they dropped from 84k to 40k.

DFO resource managers really need to look into why this is happening.

Must suck to be the last ones in line...

The Spruce City Wildlife Association (SCWA) of Prince George, B.C. requests the immediate closure of all fisheries (Recreational, Commercial and Food, Social, Ceremonial (FSC)) exploiting Upper Fraser Chinook (Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2) with the exception of Upper Fraser FSC. SCWA has received the formal support for this action from the Upper Fraser Sport Fishing Advisory Committee and we expect Fisheries and Oceans Canada to carry out this request based on the following reasons:

- The “Precautionary Approach” is identified in the Wild Salmon Policy as “An approach to decision making that requires caution when scientific information is uncertain, unreliable, or inadequate. It also implies that the absence of adequate scientific information cannot be used as a reason to postpone or fail to take action that could prevent serious harm to a resource.” If the Precautionary Approach is followed then ALL interceptions of 5-2 Chinook (Spring and Summer) should be immediately halted until the stocks are better monitored, and it is clear that there is a harvestable surplus to support fishing without further damaging the stocks

- Upper Fraser 5-2 Chinook do not have an indicator stock (CWT) in place; Furthermore, information used in the IFMP(Integrated Fisheries Management Plan) references Dome Creek. The Dome Creek facility did not meet the requirements needed to be classified an “Indicator stock” and suffered many failures in its time of operation, the information provided by the Dome creek facility that has been out of operation for approximately 20 years is still being used even though this data is out of date. This data should be considered inaccurate and use of it should be ceased immediately.

- In a DFO document from 2011 labelled “Information Document to Assist Development of the Fraser Chinook Management Plan”, the Department states in section 4.1 (Conservation) that “Conservation of Chinook is the primary objective and will take precedence in managing the resource”; yet this year it was indicated to Spruce City Wildlife Association that 5-2 Chinook were passing through the lower and middle Fraser and that significant harvest opportunities were available in those regions, yet the stocks are in conservation crisis.

- “Zoned Management” shows preferential treatment to the marine area fisheries and fisheries in the lower and middle Fraser to exploit the stocks while regions 5 and 7 very rarely have any access to fish.
In its course of its wildlife stewardship, Spruce City Wildlife Association does not seek closures of opportunity for its members and other members of the public. At this time, however, our organization believes that a closure is a necessary action the must be taken to ensure that the Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 stocks see as much opportunity to spawn as possible, in order to sustain recovery to harvestable levels. We request these measures so that future generations of upper Fraser residents may

1384 River Road Prince George, BC V2L 5S8 www.scwa.bc.ca sprucecitywildlife@gmail.com
UF SFAC – Nov 21, 2018 Page 7
once again get the opportunity to see these stocks reach a sustainable level, and when this occurs- we would support a reopening of this fishery.
In Conservation,

Spruce City Wildlife Association Board of Directors

These upper Fraser chinooks are basically in the same predicament as Thompson and Chilcotin steelhead - doomed; I understand a few rivers had less than 20 counted spawners this season.

Wildmanyeah....maybe you can post how many netting openings we had from February till the summer on the Fraser and you can realize how these fish never get a break from nets.
All the early stock are easy picking as they travel close to shore in the higher water and set nets clean house....then before the Fraser starts the drift netting around Chilliwack absolutely devastates them!
Only way these fish a chance is keeping the nets out of the Fraser and getting rid of the seals within the river and at the mouth!
Another way to help these fish would be to ban using salmon parts in April/May/June. Where do you think the sturgeon guides are getting their fresh spring parts from?? Endangered salmon used as bait for sturgeon fishing....**** poor!

Wildmanyeah....maybe you can post how many netting openings we had from February till the summer on the Fraser and you can realize how these fish never get a break from nets.
All the early stock are easy picking as they travel close to shore in the higher water and set nets clean house....then before the Fraser starts the drift netting around Chilliwack absolutely devastates them!
Only way these fish a chance is keeping the nets out of the Fraser and getting rid of the seals within the river and at the mouth!
Another way to help these fish would be to ban using salmon parts in April/May/June. Where do you think the sturgeon guides are getting their fresh spring parts from?? Endangered salmon used as bait for sturgeon fishing....**** poor!

Don’t need to convince me,

I’m sure by no you realize what it would legally take to stop thoes nets.

For sports fishermen in the JDF to give up their spring sports fishery.

Don’t need to convince me,

I’m sure by no you realize what it would legally take to stop thoes nets.

For sports fishermen in the JDF to give up their spring sports fishery.

And all along the inside from Hardy to Gulf Islands. All in the same boat. But I am sure we all would gladly park our fishing gear for a few years if that would make a meaningful difference. But only as ONE group, not one singled out area.

And all along the inside from Hardy to Gulf Islands. All in the same boat. But I am sure we all would gladly park our fishing gear for a few years if that would make a meaningful difference. But only as ONE group, not one singled out area.[/QUOTE

lol...good to see the 100m picture is still alive and well... o_O:rolleyes:

This was presented at the recently held SFI conference.

Lots of challenges for these fish.

Have a read.

https://sportfishing.bc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Al-Martin-Heart-of-the-Fraser.pdf

IMO that's less of a concern then issues like the one below.. Tones of fish bearing streams are being wiped out all the time

Province changes course after scientist finds fish in ‘not fish bearing’ stream

https://www.abbynews.com/news/provi...entist-finds-fish-in-not-fish-bearing-stream/

It definitely would seem like a Fraser river issue as stated with Capilano and other stocks doing well with similar traits. Nets, land development, seals, and traffic on the river all add up to **** poor returns. I’m sure others would want to say rec fishing but again such a drop in the bucket. We would be way down the list on reasons for decline.

Back