Found crab trap

Ghostprof

On our way back in from fishing yesterday my son and I saw a float just below the surface. It looked like it had been in the water a long time so we pulled it up to check. It is clearly someone's lost trap from a way back, so I thought I'd see if anyone is missing one. If you think it might be yours, message me with a note on the kind of float and bait holder it had, and we'll return it to you. It's rusted a bit, but still useable. Found just outside Cadboro Bay.

If no one claims it, we'll just put it up for free on usedvictoria.

PS - we know about the issues with pulling traps that aren't ours, etc. but in this case we felt like getting junk out of the water outweighed worry over DFO giving us a hassle for pulling a trap without our name on it. There is no name or anything on the float, btw.

Was the float green and was it in Baines channel? Saw one out there a few weeks ago that was just under water on a good ebb.

No, I don't think that's the one. We saw one by Fulford reef a few months ago, too, but it was really stuck on the bottom. This one was only visible on the low tide, too, but closer to Caddy bay.

I found a nice Scotsman with over 200' of rope and a prawn trap on the end in deep water half way to Border Bank a few years ago.
Phoned the USA number on the ball and the guy laughed and said it had been lost for nearly a year. Keep it.

Ok. Just curious.
Yeah, no worries. I never know if I should pull up something like that when it's obviously been in the drink for a looooong time, but it seems like the lesser of two evils to get the junk out of the water and clear any possible prop-tanglers.

If the float and rope are covered with significant growth, no name visible I'd pull it and leave it at the boat launch, just like any other garbage.

PS - we know about the issues with pulling traps that aren't ours, etc. but in this case we felt like getting junk out of the water outweighed worry over DFO giving us a hassle for pulling a trap without our name on it. There is no name or anything on the float, btw.
I am with you on this 100%. Non identified gear should be removed from water. Everyone knows the regs on identification. And if it has drifted from elsewhere... we don't need any ghost gear fishing.

Back