Ford 6.4L diesel blown head gasket - Advice needed

eriks

My son's truck has a blown head gasket and I'm looking to get it repaired here in the Lower Mainland area. I've called a couple places, and there seems to be a big range in repair cost, depending on how bullet proof you want to make it. I don't want to dump unnecessary thousands of $'s into the truck, but will suck it up for an intelligent amount of upgrading to the engine.
Does anyone know what exactly should be done and upgraded (new studs seems smart) and any recommendations where I should get it done? Truck still runs well, just blowing coolant out the degas reservoir (and no, after the 3rd new rad cap, new rad and degas reservoir I know its the head gasket, not another freaking rad cap.) @noluck I seem remember that you were involved with diesel engines, and you helped me get my heater.

There is no bullet proofing a 6.4 unfortunately, it’s actually much worse than the 6.0. Problem with the 6.4 is it actually has catastrophic failures, mine blew cylinders with only 120 thousand on it. I had it all done up to prevent failure at like 90 000 km but it did nothing. Verdict was it probably already had unforeseen damage from the retard regen system and dpf. I would not spend much on it.

With the amount of money “bullet proofing” the 6.4 would cost, (even though something will blow up again) you could swap a common rail Cummins in it for a bit more. And the resale value with a Cummins!!! no brainer lol.

When mine blew up most diesel heads were saying to throw a Cummins in the ford and have the ultimate rig.

Back