For all those who think the Stamp has nothing but hatchery rats

hahaha apparently nothing has changed here!

It's been a while...
beer chug.gif

This is better than watching Family Fued, Jersey Shore and Jerry Springer all at the same time.

encore! encore!

are you going to cry because someone on the internet shot down your photo?

It looks better then 12, but not 20. but what the **** do i know! I am just a banky!

Although it is a magnificent steelhead, I have to agree that the photo does not look like a 20+ lb fish. I would have estimated this fish in the mid to high teens. It could be that the photo does not do it justice.

Just for the sake of comparison, here is a photo of an 18 lb steelhead from the Cowichan:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg71/JasonSach/TrophySteelheadJan182008.jpg

Wow, finally the voice of reason speaks out! I was wondering when that was going to happen. The whole measurement/formula things gags me with a giant soup spoon. It's like Hemingway standing over a pile of dead kudu in Kenya, drooling into his watered-down scotch, mumbling about the length of the antlers of the one he didn't shoot.

My take on Mr. Parker's initial response to SS's photo? He made a correct observation, though he might want to brush up on the way he delivers his message.

Whatever the weight, the fish in SS's pic was a stone-cold beauty of a fox; ain't it enough to say "mid to upper teens" or "high-teener" and be done with it?

Last edited by a moderator:
i have to agree with blackleech(now that one looks 18!). for a fish that is only 34 inches long and looks somewhat snaky i cant see it being 20 pounds...i think whatever formula is being used for the weight is not even close to accurate....in my limited experience and from seeing pics of real 20 pounders from the skeena area, typically you would need a at least a 37 inch fish, unless it is freakishly girthy, which the one in the pic is definitley not...ive caught a few over the years that looked very similar to that one but i just call em 15...a fine stamp fish no doubt...

Typically, 34" goes 14 to 16 depending on girth. 39 - 40 gets you low to mid 20's, although I once talked a guy into releasing a 38" fish on a Skeena trib (back when you could kill them, and he had blood in his eyes) that would have gone mid-20's on a scale (it had a girth on it that made it look like a shoe-box instead of a chunk of steel). Jeez, I'm starting to sound like Hemingway now....

If someone's holding a fish, the peduncle is the key to judging size (wrist of the tail). On a 20+ fish, a guy's fingers won't meet around the wrist unless he has monkey mitts.

That's been my experience, anyway. With the advent of C&R, I have seen a trend of size inflation. That's way better then giving the fish a wood shampoo (to remove all doubt about weight) , but it's not necessarily good science....

I once had a dead 39 pounder in my arms (chrome buck, caught in a P. Rupert seine, weighed on a commie scale) I could just barely get both hands around its peduncle....

Here's two pix. The first one, without reference, looks like a reasonably large chunk of fire-truck steel. The second one, with a yappy dog in the background, provides some degree of scale. I don't measure fish. I eyeball them and call them low to mid or mid to upper.

I also don't lay them on the mud any more to get hero shots... but this one I did and as far as size, my fingers didn't meet around the wrist so I figured high teens, low 2's.

That's not good science either, but at least it spares them the humiliation of a freaking tape measurement, and gets them back in the water quicker...

Attachments

• IMG_2160.jpg
    IMG_2160.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_2161.jpg
    IMG_2161.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited by a moderator:
Typically, 34" goes 14 to 16 depending on girth. 39 - 40 gets you low to mid 20's, although I once talked a guy into releasing a 38" fish on a Skeena trib (back when you could kill them, and he had blood in his eyes) that would have gone mid-20's on a scale (it had a girth on it that made it look like a shoe-box instead of a chunk of steel). Jeez, I'm starting to sound like Hemingway now....

If someone's holding a fish, the peduncle is the key to judging size (wrist of the tail). On a 20+ fish, a guy's fingers won't meet around the wrist unless he has monkey mitts.

That's been my experience, anyway. With the advent of C&R, I have seen a trend of size inflation. That's way better then giving the fish a wood shampoo (to remove all doubt about weight) , but it's not necessarily good science....

I once had a dead 39 pounder in my arms (chrome buck, caught in a P. Rupert seine, weighed on a commie scale) I could just barely get both hands around its peduncle....

Here's two pix. The first one, without reference, looks like a reasonably large chunk of fire-truck steel. The second one, with a yappy dog in the background, provides some degree of scale. I don't measure fish. I eyeball them and call them low to mid or mid to upper.

I also don't lay them on the mud any more to get hero shots... but this one I did and as far as size, my fingers didn't meet around the wrist so I figured high teens, low 2's.

That's not good science either, but at least it spares them the humiliation of a freaking tape measurement, and gets them back in the water quicker...

Nice fish. Skeena trib?

summersteel, looks long and girth on the tail looks decent, I dont doubt the poundage at all.

Whatever the case on measurements, etc... it is a beauty - congrats!

As for Lorne... what can i say? too bad...

summersteel, looks long and girth on the tail looks decent, I dont doubt the poundage at all.

Whatever the case on measurements, etc... it is a beauty - congrats!

As for Lorne... what can i say? too bad...

I'll pass the congrats along to the lucky angler, Thanks. Since there seems to be so much controversy over fish weight formulas, I did a google search and found at least a dozen different weight calculators. I ran the measurements ( 34x22 ) through all of them and came up with a dozen different weights ranging from 18.1 to 20.57 lbs. Which one is correct?? Who knows.....the ONLY way to know for sure would have been to weigh the fish on an accredited scale.Since the fish was obviously released, the measurements are all that there are to go by. How do these weight calculator formulas work?? I have no idea. I don't know who came up with the math or how all the numbers are suppose to relate together to estimate the weight. What I do know is, over half ( 8 ) of the calculators put the weight between 20-20.57lbs. If anyone has a problem with this, then you should take it up with whomever came up with those particular formulas and ask them how & why the math works the way it does. I'm just passing along the pic and info that was given to me. The whole point of the thread, as the title says, was to show that there are a lot more than just 5-7lb cookie cutter hatchery fish in the Stamp. The whole point of going fishing is you never know what you might catch. To all those who offered kudos on a very nice fish.....Thanks....I will pass them along. To the infantile haters........Grow up and get a life........high school is long over.

Very nice fish, thanks for posting the pic......got nothing to say about the rest of the shyt

One way to get a quick weight without bonking the fish is to weigh the fish while it is in the net. Attach the scale to the webbing of the net and lift the fish and net up while keeping the weight of the frame and handle off the amount being suspended by the scale. The fish can stay in the net and in the water until the scale is readied. The fish is weighed and then gently released. This sould take less than 30 seconds. No harm to the fish and you have a number rather than a formula.

Very nice fish SS. Your buddy should be congratulated . Super clean Silver bullet fresh from the ocean, but I'll chime in and say mid teens at best. Length/girth weight estimates are usually a bit over stated for male steelhead due to the elongated face. I once caught a big Thompson Male with a super long face. It was 42" x 23" in girth. Length/girth estimates would have put it at over 32 lbs. This fish was high 20's at best but certainly did not crest 30 lbs. Sorry no photo of that one. I'll have to scan it so I can prove it.

Having said that, here's one a buddy got a few years ago and it was high teens (maybe 18). You'll notice this too is a buck with an elongated face , but (as with most Thompson fish) it is a highshouldered fish, and thick.

Bday  Thompson River Steelhead Nov 09.jpg

Does it really matter if the fish was 17 or 21? It is a dandy fish for that system and a fish that will be remembered by the angler for awhile ( nice photo too ). Whenever I get a nice fish and it is released it is difficult to put a precise number on it so all you can do is estimate its size,routine 8-10 pounder, low to Mid teens, Upper teens, 20ish and 25 plus once on the Thompson(42.5 or 44.5 length, can't remember which, no girth). In your mind you know it was a beauty and you were happy to have enjoyed the encounter.
Any fish on the stamp over 15 pounds is a dandy IMO

I am from Port and there are good sized steelhead in tis system as I can atest to because on Jan 18 1992 I caught my trophy which was 20 lbs 12 onces.I had it mounted and it has been seen by many at Gone Fishing in Port.

Here's a couple of Stamp fish. One I caught back in 88 or so and one of a friend from around 02 maybe. Yes the Stamp spits out the odd big fish just not many. All my best big steelie pic's are from other rivers. They are scanned photos so may be a bit blurry. Would guess them as high teeners-twenty.

Attachments

• Big winter steel 007.jpg
    Big winter steel 007.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Big winter steel 008.jpg
    Big winter steel 008.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 109
Man do you ever look YOUNG in that pix Kenny! :p :D
Awesome Fish btw!

Agreed the Stamp can put out a few of these Biggies from time to time, just not many it seems. Certainly makes you remember when you get lucky enough to find one!!

Here's one from last season my Partner tagged, we guessed at something approaching 20...

Biggie_2.jpg

Unfortunately going to be off the flow for all of January and into February - surgery recovery period dammit!
At least they let me have the hunting season...

Hope to see one or two of the caliber posted here when I eventually get back to it...

Cheers,
Nog

Back