FN0447-Salmon - Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 Chinook - June 3rd Abundance U

TheRock

Subject: FN0447-Salmon - Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 Chinook - June 3rd Abundance Update

Category(s):
ABORIGINAL - General Information,
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Troll,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0447-Salmon - Fraser River Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 Chinook - June 3rd Abundance Update

In 2013, the Department has identified concerns associated with expected poor
returns of Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook to the Fraser River. Management
of these stocks is based on an in-season assessment of returns using the
cumulative catch per unit effort (CPUE) of chinook caught at the Albion Test
Fishery. A three zone management approach is used to identify management
actions.

The Department is planning to begin the season with management actions based on
the lowest management zone (zone 1) based on the number of spawners in the 2008
parental generation (32,000 chinook) and the recent lower than average survival
rates.

The model used to predict the returns of Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook to
the Fraser River uses data from the standard chinook net at the Albion Test
fishery and does not use catch from the multi-panel net (which is currently
fished on alternating days). The standard chinook net is an 8 inch (approx.
20 cm) mesh.

The 2013 Albion chinook test fishery began operating on April 21st. A total of
two (2) chinook have been caught in the standard chinook net; no additional
chinook have been caught in the multi-panel net. This is the lowest catch
observed for this time period since the inception of the Albion chinook test
fishery in 1981. The CPUE input into the model falls below the range of
historical observations of CPUE (1995 to 2012, excluding 2007) used to develop
the Albion prediction model. Based on this CPUE, for the period May 5 to June
1, the current predicted return of Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook to the
mouth of the Fraser ranges from 21,000 to 45,000 chinook (median of 31,000). A
need for a cautious approach to management of Fraser chinook continues to apply.

Management actions will be confirmed pending the final in-season update planned
for June 17th. Previously announced fishery management actions to conserve
Fraser River chinook remain in effect.

For more infrormation - please contact Kelly Binning 604-666-3935

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0447
Sent June 3, 2013 at 15:08
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Yep and yet some are still fishing them non-selectively. I can't help but feel that conservation isn't really number one with DFO it is just lip service, from the ones who now speak with forked tongues.

They are amazing catch 2 fish and project 21,000 to 45,000. Is that what happens when I bring 2 Hali onto the dock?

"That guy caught 2 chickens.... Take 25,000 lbs off the recreational TAC!"

Our fishery managment is in absolute chambles. Im struggling trying to conserve ET Fraser fish when the inside passage and mouth of the Fraser is open for retention why should we in Sooke/Vic release them? Because DFO says so? If they were really concerned about these fish and wanted to make improvements then DFO would be doing a lot more then restricting sports fishing in one managment area.

The slot limit is probably important to respect and I bet they don't want to expand it because then even more anglers would band together and they might have to actually do something about the problem.

Tell me why they can fish the whole Georgia strait with no slot restrictions ?
I guess none of these fish are Fraser bound .:mad:

All the more reason that anglers on South Vancouver Island need to stop complaining and start uniting and acting to bring about postive, sustainable changes to this debacle! It will take some time and hard work, but is definately worth it!

Consider joining SVIAC, volunteer to be on the various committee's (we really need more volunteers at this time) to do all the work we have planned out. The more members and volunteers, the more work and action we can do to change things.

SVI is the most heavily regulated fishing area on the whole coast and it will just get worse if we anglers don't band together to stop it. Rec. anglers are the easiest user group for Ottawa and DFO to pick on and punish in their on-going display of lip service in the name of "good resource management and conservation". Sadly, we all know that is not about conservation and good management, but about who has the most political influence.

The long term goal of SVIAC is to create more abundant fish for SVI and send to a full time lobbyist to Ottawa to work on our behalf to create conditions to increase the number of fish we have in the water so we are not just fighting the other users/sector over the last few fish. Time to stop just talking and to start coming together and acting for postive changes!!!

http://anglerscoalition.com/?page_id=1400

Last edited by a moderator:

No question the fish being caught of Nanaimo right now are Fraser river fish. A lot more damage being done to Fraser stocks in the straight of georgia then JDF.

well we are also restricted on this side of the boundary to only fin clipped fish. when i asked WDFW why, they said to protect fraser r. fish. so i have to agree if all management areas in BC do not have similar restrictions, what is the point of this?????

yes, there are tons of interesting studies dating from the 1950s regarding migration paths of fraser fish. and while the majority seem to perfer the direct route to the open ocean, a good number of them also head up the inside. i have to question the reasoning of restrictions in only certain areas while data suggest that 'conservation' of fraser fish require restrictions in all marine areas.

i will be sure to bring this up again with out WDFW when i get the opportunity.

I am sure that this question is hopelessly naïve, but are the few critical Chinook caught in the Albion test fishery caught in such a way that samples can be taken for research and then the fish released in good condition?

Last edited by a moderator:
well we are also restricted on this side of the boundary to only fin clipped fish. when i asked WDFW why, they said to protect fraser r. fish. so i have to agree if all management areas in BC do not have similar restrictions, what is the point of this?????

yes, there are tons of interesting studies dating from the 1950s regarding migration paths of fraser fish. and while the majority seem to perfer the direct route to the open ocean, a good number of them also head up the inside. i have to question the reasoning of restrictions in only certain areas while data suggest that 'conservation' of fraser fish require restrictions in all marine areas.

i will be sure to bring this up again with out WDFW when i get the opportunity.

well its the return migration that counts in this case not the outbound migration. As well ocean conditions 60 years ago were very different then now, its pretty clear that a very large portion of fraser fish have opted to return on the inside of the island in the last few years.

No question the fish being caught of Nanaimo right now are Fraser river fish. A lot more damage being done to Fraser stocks in the straight of georgia then JDF.

Check the regs. There is a slot limit in area 18 and portions of 29 just like there is in 19/20. http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x...m?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=150866&ID=all

Also the mouth of the Fraser is CLOSED for chinook retention.
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x...m?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=150878&ID=all

well its the return migration that counts in this case not the outbound migration. As well ocean conditions 60 years ago were very different then now, its pretty clear that a very large portion of fraser fish have opted to return on the inside of the island in the last few years.
Can you point to any data that suggest this? I have asked this same question and have been told that these fish come through JDF.

Check the regs. There is a slot limit in area 18 and portions of 29 just like there is in 19/20. http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x...m?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=150866&ID=all

Also the mouth of the Fraser is CLOSED for chinook retention.
http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/x...m?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=150878&ID=all

Most of Georgia strait remains open with no slot, area 18 and 29 comprise a small portion.
My point is if Fraser fish are in trouble as they obviously are, the whole inside should have the same slot restriction.
It makes no sense to try and protect fish with a slot size unless it is across the board.

Can you point to any data that suggest this? I have asked this same question and have been told that these fish come through JDF.

I could point out some anecdotal evidence to refute it. Nanaimo, Gabriola and south Bowen fisheries have been excellent for the past 2 months. In all that time only 2 chinook salmon were caught in the river test fishery. If there are tens of thousands of chinook passing through the area in that time period and they are Fraser bound why aren't they showing up in the test fisheries?

My understanding is that the south bowen fish are mostly bound for the squamish river and the ecvi fish are either american or cowichan river chinook.

If there was some proof that these fish were early Fraser then I'd fully support a slot. But, I have yet to see any evidence that even a small number of these fish are Fraser bound.

I could point out some anecdotal evidence to refute it. Nanaimo, Gabriola and south Bowen fisheries have been excellent for the past 2 months. In all that time only 2 chinook salmon were caught in the river test fishery. If there are tens of thousands of chinook passing through the area in that time period and they are Fraser bound why aren't they showing up in the test fisheries?

Perhaps a little early ?

Perhaps a little early ?

Seems unlikely given that large chinook can swim up to 50 miles a day. The hump (south bowen) is only a few miles away from the north arm of the Fraser. Gabriola is about 16 miles west. They could swim the crossing and up to the albion test fishery site in less than a day. Waves of fish have been coming through these areas for almost 2 months. You'd think more than two would've shown up by now.

I'm not saying that there absolutely aren't any Fraser fish being caught on the inside. I'm saying there is no evidence that they migrate this way in any numbers.

the path the incoming fish travel is not understood simply because there is no easy way to find out. most every study dealt with outbound smolt and a variety of interesting techniques were used, none of which can be applied in reverse.

word has it that the early chinook are already in the Skagit. which pathway they chose to return home is anybodys guess but the chinook you mention on the inside could be a part of this population.

Back