FN proposes ecosystem in Tofino.

OldBlackDog

First Nation proposes ecosystem fee in Tofino to reinvest tourism profits back into the land
hi-bc-130112-tofino-beach-kevin-drewes-cp.jpg

Tofino's mayor says an ecosystem fee proposed by local First Nations would direct the profits of the tourism industry toward maintaining the land.

Josie Osborne says visitors to Tofino are able to take advantage of activities like whale watching and beach walks thanks to the stewardship of the Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation.

The Tla-o-qui-aht is now proposing that businesses include an extra charge of one to two per cent for customers.

"[The ecosystem service fee] would help them to reinvest back in their territory and into their programs and services that they undertake to provide this incredible place where we are lucky enough to do our businesses," Osborne said.

She says implementing the fee would partly meet the call to action to the corporate sector from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

"It's not just we, the latecomers to this place, that are here," said Osborne. "There's a much deeper sense of responsibility toward the land and the people and the waters and the fish and the trees and everything that's here."

Funding for ecological work
Saya Masso, the Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation's natural resources manager, says the fee is about recognizing the guardian programs run for drinking water, clean air, fisheries and forestry activities outside of Tofino's municipal boundaries.

"A lot of businesses were unaware of all the services that our guardians provide already and all the lack of funding that we have to recover all the habitats that we want," said Masso.

The money from the ecosystem fee could fund salmon-habitat enhancement, cultural revitalization programs and other services for the community.

"We have no bus service for our members in our community to get to work in Tofino, yet tourists have a free bus in the summer," said Masso. "We'd like to have that service provided for our community."

Both Osborne and Masso are optimistic about the business community's response to the proposed fee.

"I think that businesses feel like they can contribute a fee and it doesn't go so much to Victoria, Ottawa or to LNG projects that they may not agree with," said Masso. "They're going to see it in long houses being built, in sewage and better environmental stewardship in this area here."

A working group has been started by the Tla-o-qui-aht to discuss the details of how the fee could be implemented.

"I think this is probably the most important part of it — this dialogue and this process of learning about each other," Osborne said.

Tofino ecosystem fee would reinvest tourism profits back into the land, says mayor
The mayor of Tofino says an ecosystem fee charged to visitors of the area would fund the work being done by a local First Nation to preserve the land.6:50

So what is it that they do to preserve the land, walk on it, look at it. Like what process do they undertake. It states that people enjoy walking the beach and whale watching all because of the bands stewardship, please explain this to me. Part of the reconciliation process, here I thought the money they are getting from the government (Our money ) for free housing, free education, free health care, free, free, free would cover that no. Man alive this stuff is getting out of hand.

Wowzers this one has me baffled.

Race based fisheries, race based tax. Interesting.
Ever wonder why indigenous Canadian groups have no involvement with immigration? You would think in the spirit of reconciliation that they would however, I suspect that what First Nation groups would want would not match what our current liberal government would like. Not one bit.

Dang those Coastal FN wanting to raise money to build a fish hatchery on Canoe Creek. They must be commies.... Am I right.
sarc/off
I find it interesting that our friends here don't have a clue what this is all about but are sure this is really bad. I'm not surprised, I guess, that this triggers some. It's a new business model to pay for stuff that makes this area so special. After all tourism is one of the main industries and puts considerable pressure on the services in this community. Is it fair that the locals bear all the costs.

https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/first-nations-ecosystem-service-fee-in-the-works-for-tofino/

One of these days when I am retired or something I am going to test the laws. I am going to fish for sustenance in an area where there is a FN only fishery occurring. When I get charged we can then see which laws are more powerful in court. Are the laws stating that Canadians cannot be discriminated based by race trumped by the laws granting FN priority over fisheries?

I think what is pissing people off is them saying that we wouldn’t be able to enjoy the area if it weren’t for their stewardship. I’m sure some local FN do care and put in effort in the name of conservation but the ones showing up weekly in Alberni and other areas with huge yeti coolers full of seafood that they sell for cash on the reserve sure aren’t. I also doubt there will be any accountability for the money raised through this “tax”. Show me and others that will pay this “tax” what exactly the local FN have done in the name of stewardship and show everyone exactly how the money will be spent and I’m sure you’d get less blowback.

Sounds to me like if they are going to institute this tax, because that’s what it is. It should be managed, benefit and accounted for by the Community as a whole? It has some merit, user pay,however as far as infrastructure goes, don’t the businesses and property owners already cover that?

Tax for a Canadian to walk on Canadian beaches ??????? Its ********. ( no-- my opinion has nothing to do with racism..-- just frustration with another money grab, by what wants to be another layer of government )

Dang those Coastal FN wanting to raise money to build a fish hatchery on Canoe Creek. They must be commies.... Am I right.
sarc/off
I find it interesting that our friends here don't have a clue what this is all about but are sure this is really bad. I'm not surprised, I guess, that this triggers some. It's a new business model to pay for stuff that makes this area so special. After all tourism is one of the main industries and puts considerable pressure on the services in this community. Is it fair that the locals bear all the costs.

https://www.bclocalnews.com/news/first-nations-ecosystem-service-fee-in-the-works-for-tofino/

Tribal parks are far more complicated then that.

Harrison lake has a municipal and hotel tax to cover these expenses. It’s essential a tourist tax .

Last edited:
Tax for a Canadian to walk on Canadian beaches ??????? Its ********. ( no-- my opinion has nothing to do with racism..-- just frustration with another money grab, by what wants to be another layer of government )
It does not say that in the article that was posted. No one is going to get charged to walk on the beach.
The problem is that the town has a small tax base of around 2000 people but in the summer there can be 10 times that many and you need to have services for that many. Remember a few summers ago when the just about ran out of water? Who pays to transport in more water or expand the water system? That falls to the residents and if you don't have a large tax base then the money has to come from somewhere. Who is next on the list? Business needs to have their taxes go up and at some point even they can't compete. Who picks up after the tourists, cleans the public washrooms and maintains the trails? Roads , street lights fire protection. There are many costs to running a small town and surrounding district and it looks like they are exploring new sources of income to survive.

It seems to me that FN, Town, RD and local Chamber of Commerce are coming together to tackle their issues and we should support their dialogue and not just bash FN when they are trying to show some leadership. AND. I know you Cuba Libre you don't have a bad bone in your body. You always have my respect.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like if they are going to institute this tax, because that’s what it is. It should be managed, benefit and accounted for by the Community as a whole? It has some merit, user pay,however as far as infrastructure goes, don’t the businesses and property owners already cover that?
I think they have setup a non-profit to handle the details.
http://tribalparksalliance.com/

I think they have setup a non-profit to handle the details.
http://tribalparksalliance.com/
Thanks GLG, I don’t live there and so don’t know the whole story, which I’m sure those impacted do. So I guess the local population has to make the decision based on their intimate knowledge and what’s better for the community as a whole. I still have concerns whenever groups are asking for more money, be they government or organizations furthering their own causes.

Make sure that you are not contracted or bound by a recreational license at that time. You will have a high probability of success and likely win if you see it all through to the end. It won't be a cheap ride. The Magna Carta, Admiralty Law, Common Law, Human Rights Law, Corporite Law and Law of the Land will be helpful areas for you to review and begin to understand.
https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/magna-carta
http://www.admiraltylaw.com/index.php
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/culture/canadian-identity-society/human-rights.html

On a side note: Older video clips that share some rational. All in all it is the United Nations requiring Canada to change.

Everyone should watch these videos. I did last night and was worth it. Extremely interesting. It ties into this issue. Didnt now our BC flag was given as gift to FN here in BC by King George. Then we took and turned it upside down. Suns supposed to be on top.

Thanks StormTrooper. I am so far from retirement is not funny. This would be a project I would only take on later in life when time and money are of less concern.

Guilty pleas in hunting case of three B.C. Indigenous men a concern: chief
A court ruling in a trespassing case raises larger issues of Indigenous land rights and title
The Canadian Press
sun0806n-watershed-0315.jpg

A court ruling in a trespassing case raises larger issues of Indigenous land rights and title, a southern British Columbia First Nation said. A file photo of a deer is shown here. Ric Ernst / PNG Files

PENTICTON — A court ruling in a trespassing case raises larger issues of Indigenous land rights and title, a southern British Columbia First Nation said.

A statement issued by the Penticton Indian Band said it supports three Indigenous men each fined $500 after they pleaded guilty to trespassing for shooting a deer on property marked as private.

Cole Kruger, Felix Thomas Kruger and Fred Kruger were initially charged with trespassing, unlawful possession of dead wildlife and discharging a firearm in a no-shooting area, following the January 2017 incident.

The men entered a guilty plea in provincial court on Tuesday to trespassing after an agreement that the remaining charges would be dropped.

Penticton band Chief Chad Eneas said in the statement that the pleas were entered after the band was unable to reach a deal with the provincial government to address concerns related to hunting on private land within the band’s traditional territory.

“Our members were acting under the direction of our elders in accordance with Syilx law and protocol. We will always support their right to hunt for food and ceremonies in a safe and respectful manner on Syilx Okanagan lands,” the chief said.

“By pleading guilty we do not admit that the province or private individuals are the rightful owners of the property. These lands have always been subject to the title and rights of the Syilx Okanagan Nation.”

Trending in Canada
Top Headlines From canoe.com
The Penticton band is part of the Syilx people in B.C.’s Okanagan Valley.

The three men, including Fred Kruger an elected Penticton Indian Band councillor, declined comment after sentencing.

The $500 fine was substantially higher than the usual $115 fine imposed for trespassing, but the prosecution requested and received the stiffer penalty following a joint sentencing submission.

“The aggravating feature is the fact that there was a firearm discharged on private property and it could have been a dangerous situation given the time of day,” said Judge Michelle Daneliuk in her reasons for sentence.

Crown counsel Karla Dodds said earlier that the deer was shot in an area where no-trespassing signs were clearly visible and at no time did the property owner give permission to the men to be on the property.

(Penticton Herald)

OBD - I am uncertain of the relevance of the case you noted, and the topic of this thread?

On the particular case:

It was a directed and overt action.
They intended to push the province into dealing with them directly over their demands to access deeded title lands within some rather poorly defined "traditional territory".
A power play of sorts.
Apparently that did not work... this time around.

Mark my words, they WILL be back...

Nog

I agree and I put it here as just a way to add to what is going on that can or might effect others.

OBD - I am uncertain of the relevance of the case you noted, and the topic of this thread?

On the particular case:

It was a directed and overt action.
They intended to push the province into dealing with them directly over their demands to access deeded title lands within some rather poorly defined "traditional territory".
A power play of sorts.
Apparently that did not work... this time around.

Mark my words, they WILL be back...

Nog

Back