Fly fishing Victoria/Westshore

Ellford

I'm looking for some ideas on shore fishing for trout in the Victoria area. I'm not interested in sunfish or bass, so Elk/Beaver are out. Purpose is to teach my son how to fly fish so having wide open spaces and less people is beneficial.

Langford has a dock which is decent, but there's far too many people that walk around it so the back casting would be a significant issue.

Most others (Mathison, Thetis, Glen) all have beaches that at this time of year would be full of sun worshipers.

What about some of the streams and rivers near here? I was thinking if there's access to Sooke River somewhere it might be decent. Has anyone ever fished Goldstream River or any of the smaller creeks with any luck?

No fishing in Goldstream, no trout to speak of in sooke river this time of year. All lakes are kind of in the summer doldrums. By late September there will be far more opportunities. When the chums come into sooke basin and river it is a great opportunity for newbies. Trout will start to turn on.

Most rivers are closed on the Island due to drought conditions. Tough go for fishing everywhere it seems. If you have a small boat, some good lake fishing can be had.

Take the boy out to Bazaan bay near Sidney and fly fish for searun cutthroat trout. Wide open beach for the back cast. great place to learn.

That's a real shame about our local rivers and streams.

Anyone had any luck up in Cowichan? I know of a few guys that have fished it and landed some browns.

Tinboatrobb, that's a GREAT idea! I don't know where that is, so I'll have to look it up.

Thanks!

It is the strip if beach south of tulusta park in Sidney. Park near the south end of the beach and walk out to where the creek meets the ocean. Lots of fun if you hook a seating cutthroat but they must be released. Small shrimp pattern fly. Good luck. Pm me if you want to know more.

Remember first rule of Sea Run Cutthroat Club . . . . . ;). Probably do better fishing the Gorge, though I know the trout there got pounded a few years ago when the bobber and worm crew got onto them.

Beach fishing would probably be the best bet right now to teach a newbie how to fly fish. Do a little research on Sea Run Cutthroat and go exploring. There are dozens of beaches between Sidney and Jordan River that hold trout. Some are closer than you may think. When you find some, join the club and remember rule no.1.

It is the strip if beach south of tulusta park in Sidney. Park near the south end of the beach and walk out to where the creek meets the ocean. Lots of fun if you hook a seating cutthroat but they must be released. Small shrimp pattern fly. Good luck. Pm me if you want to know more.
Hey Robb I was hoping I could get some info on spots. I’ve had some luck Up island, at Billings spit and Muir creek fly fishing for Cutties hoping for a couple more spots to check out close to home (westshore) thx man

Hey Robb I was hoping I could get some info on spots. I’ve had some luck Up island, at Billings spit and Muir creek fly fishing for Cutties hoping for a couple more spots to check out close to home (westshore) thx man

Do you want GPS coordinates? LOL. Seriously, close to home in the Westshore. Go explore Esquimalt Lagoon, the Gorge waterway, and even Esquimalt Harbour if you can handle the mucky quagmire. All of those have healthy trout populations. It's not only where, but when. Big tides are better in most spots. This time of year the bite dies off at 0700 and picks up just before dusk. Beyond what is told, the fish don't always show themselves. So much to figure out. That's most of the fun.

Eroyd nailed it. All those places are good places to try. If you just stand knee deep and wait the fish will eventually swim by. You will see them finning and breaking the surface. Caution, they spook really easy.

Do you want GPS coordinates? LOL. Seriously, close to home in the Westshore. Go explore Esquimalt Lagoon, the Gorge waterway, and even Esquimalt Harbour if you can handle the mucky quagmire. All of those have healthy trout populations. It's not only where, but when. Big tides are better in most spots. This time of year the bite dies off at 0700 and picks up just before dusk. Beyond what is told, the fish don't always show themselves. So much to figure out. That's most of the fun.
Thanks Eroyd that info is more than enough for me, although I’ll never turn down GPS coords ;)

I’ve got a couple books on fly fishing for Sea run cutts but nothing beats local knowledge!

Back