Fly fishing lake trout cariboo

Lonebutelife

This year when ice is off I plan on trying to catch lake trout on the fly. I got a 9wt with full sink, 10f heavy sink tip also (loop to loop) 4ft a sec. When I ask other people about this they think I'm crazy. Any opinions on this. I have tied up lots of big minnow patterns such as rainbow and kokanee minnow patterns.

Hoping to do this all on horse lake.

Any opinions or tips would be great

Attachments

• 20200128_123349.jpg
    20200128_123349.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 31
I don't think it's crazy, I think it's for sure worth a go and I'll bet you have success. This is normally a troll fishery, I have friends that do it and they're using downriggers with plugs and spoons. The trick will be to get down to the lake trout zone and it sounds like you have that worked out with your heavy sink tip.

Report back with your findings, I'm curious, but I bet you have success. That's where the fun is, trying new stuff.

I think it will work, lots of videos and TV shows about ice out shallow water wolves. Last fall northern BC while moose hunting the lakers and bulls were crazy. Eating the rainbow carcases and grouse carcases right of the beach every night 10 mins after dark. I used a frog hula popper and caught them. First ever. Looks and sounds like you got the right flies, find them and you will catch I am sure.

HM

If you are lucky enough to be there within a week or so of ice off in the spring, you can fish the top 10 feet trolling a minnow pattern or even an egg sucking leech. Had lots of luck with that one just after ice off. After a week to 10 days after ice off, the lakers start to head down to the depths and you will have to get out the full sinking lines. Intermediate or sinking tip should be all you need for the first few days. Fished lots in the Cariboo during the spring when we lived up there.

Oly

I catch all kinds of Lakers on flys at Horse Lake. Not the deep down lunkers that Horse lake is known for but the one to three pounders that are mixed in with the rainbows I target. Get a good one on and they will take you down to your backing on a 9 ft 6 weight. Tons of fun. Hope this helps.

I don't think it's crazy, I think it's for sure worth a go and I'll bet you have success. This is normally a troll fishery, I have friends that do it and they're using downriggers with plugs and spoons. The trick will be to get down to the lake trout zone and it sounds like you have that worked out with your heavy sink tip.

Report back with your findings, I'm curious, but I bet you have success. That's where the fun is, trying new stuff.

Thanks I have my Hope's up. Itching to catch one up in that area
These are some of lakers caught out of horse. Any also why I am so eager to try it

Attachments

• 219 (1).jpg
    219 (1).jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 218.jpg
    218.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 55
We’ve caught quite a few over the years on flies. I have fly fished for pike in the past and the patterns are similar. I’ve caught them on 5-9 wt rods. Big streamers with lots of flash.

I think a lot will depend on the surface temperature, and how fast that warms.
A thermometer in the water might help.
I noticed that anglers are now using a single treble on flies, as per the single hook restriction, on Quesnel Lake. Check regs.
I had 2 Lakers take flies on June 18th. at Quesnel lake.
flies were trolled just below the surface, c/w spinner, a 4" red/blue and white bucktail, and a 2" pink flashaboo plastic fly.
Peeps recommend thick bushy flies and a spinner to make the fly undulate, but in the early season a smaller fly might be best.

I think a lot will depend on the surface temperature, and how fast that warms.
A thermometer in the water might help.
I noticed that anglers are now using a single treble on flies, as per the single hook restriction, on Quesnel Lake. Check regs.
I had 2 Lakers take flies on June 18th. at Quesnel lake.
flies were trolled just below the surface, c/w spinner, a 4" red/blue and white bucktail, and a 2" pink flashaboo plastic fly.
Peeps recommend thick bushy flies and a spinner to make the fly undulate, but in the early season a smaller fly might be best.
I am not going to bother trolling the surface. I'm trying to go for the deep lunkers sitting around 80feet deep. Dropping it to the bottom and stripping it back. Maybe a bit of jig action new bottom.

Back