Fly fishing for 10-year-old

Ghostprof

Hi there,

My 10y.o. son is wanting to fly-fish somewhere with a reasonable chance of catching a fish and not so much in the way of the local greenery. Any recommendations? We're in Oak Bay, but can be mobile on most of the south island. Thanks!

Do you have some sort of water craft available. Float tube, raft or some sort of easily launchable boat.

Do you have some sort of water craft available. Float tube, raft or some sort of easily launchable boat.
Sorry -- I missed your reply. Yes, we have a little 14' Lifetimer and a canoe.
I took my kids to Durance lake when they were little. Lots of little hatchery raised trout in there that are very bitey. A great place for kids to learn.
Any recommendation on a go-to fly to start with? I'm thinking of a wooly bugger he can cast and then strip back just below the surface.

Sorry -- I missed your reply. Yes, we have a little 14' Lifetimer and a canoe.

Any recommendation on a go-to fly to start with? I'm thinking of a wooly bugger he can cast and then strip back just below the surface.
Best chance of success in my humble opinion is a micro leech, Phil Rowley's Ruby eyed would be my first choice or a pumpkin head. Works for my grandkids anyway.

Back