Fly and spinning rods and reels for pinks

Jamie Munroe

My son and I are coming from NS for a few days from Aug 25-28th. Was gonna try for some pinks with spinning and possibly some flyfishing. Was wondering on spinning setups (spinning rod length and action, reel size) and flyfishing setups too. Thanks in advance. Was gonna try the Squamish.

I’ve only River fished them once. Sink tip fly line with some T-10 to get to the bottom was the ticket. The length of t-10 was dependant in depth and strength of flow.

I wouldn’t go less than a 6 weight rod, I’d probably go 8 weight. But that’s just me, others that are more experienced may argue. I have really only fished pinks from the beach in the ocean. I hope you get more opinions or phone one of the fly shops around Vancouver for some good advice.

I’m not a gear guy for fresh water so I can’t offer anything there.

Pinks in the river can be hard on equipment, mainly because so many of them are foul hooked. I use a 6wt switch rod or 7wt single handed rod. Off the beach, tidal, a heavy trout rod is adequate.

Reactions: Bjw
Bass or heavier trout rods and reels are fine in the river.

Think 7-8 foot 8-12lb 10-14lb rated stuff.

I wouldnt go lighter than that, you'll be fighting current.

6 weight fly bare minimum on the fly and with that depending on the flow you are fishing will be tough.

Slack in the lower fraser or beach fishing no problem with the lighter options.

Faster flows present more of a challenge on the lighter end.

Welcome and good luck.
The first rod I ever broke was on a Pink in the Indian River. 9 foot #9 Diawa fly rod. graphite ferrule broke when trying to land it.
The classic lure for beaches was the Les Davis Hot Rod spoon.
Flies of pink, pink/ purple, pink/ silver, would be good.
All kinds of pink and red, etc. spinners and spoons can be found hung up on the sticks at the bottom end of the runs when the level goes down,... just sayin'

I love using my 5 wt for pinks, full sink line or floating with sink tip or sinking leader works best. I was fishing the mamquam

Back