the11fisherman

Recently I was out fishing on the Island with a few charters and I have a few conversation starters for the forum due to these trips.

On my first day charter we caught a few flounder and the outfitter threw them back without asking us if we wanted to keep them, and he made the claim that they are trash fish. I have kept many over the years with other guides and when I have been fishing off shore myself and have always enjoyed the flavor. I would put them up there with rockfish or halibut, other than the fact that they produce way less meat. So what are your thoughts on Flounder and Sole?

My next conversation starter is in relation to outfitters abilities to fillet halibut. My guide this year absolutely butchered the first halibut, so I then stepped in and filleted the rest of the fish. When I'm paying big bucks to go out and catch fish to take home, I want all the meat I can get off the fish. It isn't too much to ask I think. So have many of you that go with outfitters seen guys that can't seem to fillet fish?

Here is a quick video that I hope helps those of you that do not know how to fillet flatfish. I hope it helps.

Most guides I know are pretty proficient at filleting and are more than happy to let you keep fish (if legal) that they wouldn't keep themselves. You just have to tell them-not everyone wants flounder, Cabazon, dogfish ( hate filleting dogfish). Remember if the guide is filleting every damned fish under the sun and still smiling at the end of the day-make sure the tip shows the appreciation!!

Yikes - we pan fried a piece of arrow tooth - 5 lbs ish - and it turned to the consistency of oatmeal in the pan. Not horrible tasting but weird from a texture perspective. My friend kept several and plans to make fish cakes. We kept a few flounders this year and have not tried them yet but when we have eaten them before they were good.

Yikes - we pan fried a piece of arrow tooth - 5 lbs ish - and it turned to the consistency of oatmeal in the pan. Not horrible tasting but weird from a texture perspective. My fired kept several and plans to make fish cakes. We kept a few flounders this year and have not tried them yet but when we have eaten them before they were good.

I havent tried the frozen product yet. Fingers crossed

I tried an arrowtooth flounder this year about 20lb and it made great fish and chips fresh.

Are you sure it was an arrow tooth? Unless you like fish that has a mash much patato texture??

I must admit i havent tried them but i havent ever heard anything good about them

Flounder is my Grandmother's favorite Fish to eat.

I prefer LingCod, then Halibut, but she wants her flounder

Most guides I know are pretty proficient at filleting and are more than happy to let you keep fish (if legal) that they wouldn't keep themselves. You just have to tell them-not everyone wants flounder, Cabazon, dogfish ( hate filleting dogfish). Remember if the guide is filleting every damned fish under the sun and still smiling at the end of the day-make sure the tip shows the appreciation!!
A good guide that does good in everything definitely always gets a good tip from me, but if you are incapable to even filleting a halibut, the tip may not look so nice. I've never even heard of someone keeping a dogfish lol

Nothing better than fresh caught flounder, floured and fried in butter, then served on a piece of buttered white bread, preferably served for a picnic lunch on a beach somewhere after a successful morning fishing!
Man......... someone has the right idea here. I just need to hit the coast again lol

The funny thing about watching this thread is that I haven't heard about some of the species of flounder being discussed lol. I guess I'm too much of a mainlander....

Many years ago I commercial fished out of Rupert on a dragger/trawler. We had a guy from England that did our cooking and on most trips after the first haul came back he would pick out a few Rex Sole (witches we called them) and he would fry them up for breakfast. Man, that was always the best breakfast of the trip. Fried Dover Sole was also one of his specialities. Nothing better than fish straight for the net and into the pan.

Your missing something if you haven't tasted flounder or sole. It's great! Have heard from a few, arrowtooth flounder isn't worth eating, but honestly I've never tried it.

Your missing something if you haven't tasted flounder or sole. It's great! Have heard from a few, arrowtooth flounder isn't worth eating, but honestly I've never tried it.
They commonly are called Turbot and not to be confused with the east coast commercial turbot. They are very mushy and not appetizing-only tried them once and that was enough-nothing like real flounder and sole You can't mistake them because they have quite prominent needle like teeth

There must be a way to properly clean and handle an Arrowtooth Flounder (Turbot) for consumption. They are selling it and harvesting loads of them. Maybe they need to be cleaned and frozen immediately? What about filleting and on salt ice right away. Maybe firm up the flesh before cooking? I have caught them lots but my fishing partner has always suggested releasing them (for those reasons mentioned above) and so I have never tried one personally. If there was suggestions for best handling practices I might try one next time out.

Oly

My understanding is its the heat of cooking that causes enzymes to break down meat.

There must be a way to properly clean and handle an Arrowtooth Flounder (Turbot) for consumption. They are selling it and harvesting loads of them. Maybe they need to be cleaned and frozen immediately? What about filleting and on salt ice right away. Maybe firm up the flesh before cooking? I have caught them lots but my fishing partner has always suggested releasing them (for those reasons mentioned above) and so I have never tried one personally. If there was suggestions for best handling practices I might try one next time out.

Oly
They commercially harvested 7 million lbs for---MINK Food--what does that tell you!! LOL

Back