Floscan or other?

Capt. Red

Gentlemen ( and ladies)

I have been playing with the idea of adding a fuel flow element to my dash to help identify the sweet spot for fuel consumption, and doing a little research just seems to add more confusion than clarity. I am considering the FloScan 5500 or the 7000, but not locked into those products.

I was hoping some of you run some of these devices and can offer first-hand experiences. Generally it sounds like they are well worth the coin, and pay for themselves fairly quickly with fuel saving. My boat is a 24'er with a Volvo 5.7.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Capt. Red

i run one and its basic and very much helps with the sweet spot for mileage as the boat is loaded differently quite often, inline and uses a small impelor and sensor to send flo amount to your dash... 28.8 mph at 11gph :] thats my ideal.

Gentlemen ( and ladies)

I have been playing with the idea of adding a fuel flow element to my dash to help identify the sweet spot for fuel consumption, and doing a little research just seems to add more confusion than clarity. I am considering the FloScan 5500 or the 7000, but not locked into those products.

I was hoping some of you run some of these devices and can offer first-hand experiences. Generally it sounds like they are well worth the coin, and pay for themselves fairly quickly with fuel saving. My boat is a 24'er with a Volvo 5.7.

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Capt. Red

what are you running for a chart plotter?
with my lowrance HDS I just installed an ep60 fuel flow sensor and it gives me pretty much all that same info
GPH, MPG, Fuel remaining, fuel used, distance remaining, you name it and it can be pretty much programmed anyway you want it,
just a little fuel for thought (pun intended)

Gidyup
I am running a Furono GP 1810 and a Raymarine C80 GPS/Plotter/FF. It would be sweet to have something that calculates GPM, as that would save me a ton of mental gymnastics over what the FloScan would give me ( figuring out, say, I am burning x amount of fuel an hour at x speed, and if I slow down, am burning x fuel per hour, but now I am only traveling x distance... makes my head hurt just thinking about it).

C.S, The best price I have found is around 250$ for the 5500, and 499$ for the 7000.

Thanks for your help guys!
Chris

Back