Float Free or Die

Application of Municipal By-law prohibiting mooring - By-law In applicable - Interjurisdictional Immunity - Public Right of Navigation - Right to Anchor

West Kelowna (District) v. Newcombe, 2013 BCSC 2299 2015 BCCA 5
http://canlii.ca/t/g2ck4 http://canlii.ca/t/gfvn7
Précis: The British Columbia Court of Appeal affirmed the decision of the Trial Judge (2013 BCSC 1411) that anchoring/mooring was a core element of Federal jurisdiction over navigation and shipping and a municipal by-law prohibiting mooring was constitutionally inapplicable pursuant to the doctrine of interjurisdictional immunity to the extent it prohibited temporary moorage.

Facts: The plaintiff, the District of West Kelowna, passed a bylaw in 2009 that permitted only “temporary boat moorage accessory to the use of the immediately abutting upland ... parcel”. The defendant/respondent, who did not own any “upland parcel”, moored his house boat in an area governed by the bylaw until he was issued a notice to relocate. He then moved his house boat to another anchorage that was also within the area governed by the bylaw. The plaintiff then brought these proceedings for an injunction against the defendant and any other person with notice of the order. The defendant challenged the constitutional validity of the bylaw.

At first instance (2013 BCSC 2299), the trial Judge held that, although constitutionally valid, the bylaw had to be read down so as not to prohibit temporary moorage which was within the protected core of exclusive federal constitutional jurisdiction over “navigation and shipping”. The trial Judge nevertheless held that the defendant was in breach of the bylaw as his moorage was not temporary. Both parties appealed.

Decision: Appeal dismissed.

Held: The trial Judge correctly held that the purpose and pith and substance of the impugned bylaw were to regulate land use including land use of the foreshore. “Land use” is inherently local and within the constitutional jurisdiction of a province under s. 92(13) [Property and Civil Rights] and s. 92(16) [Matters of a merely local or private Nature] of the Constitution Act. But the double aspect doctrine is also applicable. The trial Judge was correct in addressing “the ambit of moorage rights incidental to navigation as part of the interjurisdictional immunity analysis” and correctly read down the impugned provisions. The defendant relies upon Ordon v Grail, [1998] 3 S.C.R 437, for the proposition that it is constitutionally impermissible for a validly enacted provincial statute of general application to affect matters coming within the exclusive jurisdiction of Parliament. However, Ordon v Grail was overturned by the Supreme Court in Marine Services International Ltd. v. Ryan Estate, 2013 SCC 44.

Comment: It might not be entirely correct to say, as the Court of Appeal did, that Ordon v Grail was overturned by Marine Services International Ltd. v. Ryan Estate. Although the analysis and tests used in Ordon v Grail have clearly been modified by Ryan Estate (and Canadian Western Bank v. Alberta, 2007 SCC 22 and British Columbia (Attorney General) v. Lafarge Canada Inc., 2007 SCC 23) the Supreme Court of Canada has been careful to not expressly overturn the holding in Ordon v Grail that maritime negligence law is subject to interjurisdictional immunity.

Sums it up pretty good. If the argument is that the moorage is incidental to navigation I agree, the only consideration should be that the moorage not impede anothers right to navigate. But do these cases involve moorage incidental to navigation? Not IMO.

Where I find the whole concept of restricting moorage being an affront to the right to navigate, being little more than a red herring, is because I don't believe the problem exists for vessels actually navigating.

The vessels these bylaws impact are ones that are for all intense and purposes motionless. To me navigation involves movement from one position to another with brief periods of moorage.

If however these vessels are deemed to be navigating, which I personally can't see, then let's ensure they are safetied like I seem to be every year on the water. Ensure they have operational holding tanks and proof of pump out, or functioning composting heads. License, ownership papers, operator cards etc!

Constitutional Law - Boating Restriction Regulations - Right to Anchor - Charter of Rights

R v. Lewis, 2009 BCPC 386 (2009-12-10)

The issue in this case was the constitutional validity of the Boating Restrictions Regulations under the Canada Shipping Act. Specifically, the challenge was to restrictions imposed on anchoring in False Creek, Vancouver. The accused were charged with anchoring without a permit. The defence was that the Boating Restrictions Regulations was an attempt by the Federal Government to legislate in respect of property and civil rights, a provincial jurisdiction, and were contrary to the Charter of Rights. The Court first noted that there is a common law right to navigation which includes a right to anchor but said this was a right to anchor for a reasonable time, not permanently. The Court then considered the constitutional validity of the regulations which required a consideration of the pith and substance of the regulations having regard to both their purpose and effect. The Court had little difficulty in concluding the regulations were in pith and substance in relation to navigation and therefore valid. The Court next turned to the Charter of Rights. The argument was that the regulations were contrary to s. 7 of the Charter which provides that everyone has the right to life, liberty and security. Essentially, the accused argued that they needed to anchor in False Creek for reasons of safety and could not obtain anchorage elsewhere. The Court accepted that False Creek was a safe anchorage and that alternative moorage facilities were limited, however, the Court found that the accused anchored in False Creek for economic or lifestyle reasons, not for reasons of safety or shelter.

Another reference regarding navigation from Transport Canada

Questions about the Navigation Protection Act
Question 1: What is the “public right of navigation”?

Answer: The public right of navigation is generally the right to free and unobstructed passage over navigable waters. This is a right that has long been recognized in law

Note here they say unobstructed passage (implies movement), so once again I say trying to tie the issue of long term moorage to the right to navigate, a stretch at best. One could argue if the vessels in question were in fact exercising their right to navigate, there would be no requirement for additional laws.

Thanks for your last couple posts, Ziggy. I agree with your comments.

I am glad you posted the False Creek court case - as a comparison - to me, it illustrates some significant differences in approach and regulatory success.

Firstly, the municipality went through the proper FEDERAL level of authority - the Boating Restrictions Regulations - verses a municipal by-law (unlike Victoria).
Secondly, as a companion guide to those regulations - Coast Guard published the Local Authorities Guide that I attached to post #59. In it is a checklist of due diligence so that if/when this stuff ends-up in court (like the False Creek case)- there is a record of accountability to legal process that any trial judge can follow. Again, unlike Victoria's attempt. That is why - IMHO - the court outcomes were so different, and why Victoria's butt is hanging in the breeze on this one...

Victoria has a License of Occupation from the Province, is not attempting to restrict navigation and is not denying temporary moorage. I'm betting their bylaw stands.

Guess we have to wait and see if it goes to court and if so if the bylaw stands (subject to not denying temporary mooring)like the West Kelowna bylaw verdict you posted did!

Thanks 4 the info, Ziggy. As far as I understand - neither the Province nor the Municipality own/regulate the water column.

You're probably right regarding the water column. But is that really even relevant to this discussion? I see no mention of any attempt at a water column bylaw?? I was talking mooring/ anchoring, which is what the bylaw is trying to address

Tough to anchor/ moor without touching bottom/land though and they can own/ regulate that and that's what this discussion is about is it not? If your point is somehow hovering in the water column is fine, can't say. But its not terribly practical nor applicable to this thread and certainly not to the vessels in question? Then again who knows what ridiculous spin a lawyer can resort to?

Last edited:
I mention the water column - because that is what the boats float on. I guess the question that may come-up is whether or not a non-permanent anchor is "allowed" to rest on top of the bottom - my answer would be yes - using British Common Law. Any Lands Act or other quasi-provincial law can only regulate the "bottom" - not the water column. That's why I mentioned it. I think it is an important distinction in this case...

Wow that seems to me to be quite a reach AA and I don't mean the part about boats floating in the water column.lol. That part is quite true. However to suggest that an anchor or a work can be placed on the bottom and be the same as floating in the water column or suspended above the bottom, defies logic, wouldn't you agree?

If you look back to the court ruling you posted about West Kelowna, you can clearly see the courts already found no problem with the city regulating the bottom as it pertained to anchoring. It did say however it could not totally ban anchoring as it was a right INCIDENTAL to navigation. In essence you cannot refuse to allow a vessel navigating through those waters (water column) to anchor. You can however limit how long they may remain at anchor (regulate the bottom).

Yes, you are right - Ziggy. The extent of what is considered to be "navigating" can be regulated FEDERALLY through the
Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations but NOT through municipal by-laws. That's my point....

Ok now I understand. For some reason I thought you questioned the validity of a bylaw that pertained to anchorage and mooring, whereas you were questioning whether a hypothetical bylaw, if ever brought forward, concerning the restriction of navigation would be valid?

Of course not, Federal law would hold precedent. I'm sure that's why in Victoria's case their lawyers were careful to differentiate. Hence the difference in the findings in two cases cited, one in which the right of passage was upheld, the other where the right to unlimited anchorage was declined, both of which Victoria's legal staff would be privy to. So why do you believe, based on these precedents that " Victoria's butt is hanging in the breeze"? Which case do you believe mirrors Victoria's?

Good questions, Ziggy. The Kelowna case quoted above in post #61 is informative:

[12] Ultimately, the judge found the portion of Bylaw 871 creating and defining the W1 Zone to be constitutionally valid as being in pith and substance about land use and regulation of land use under property and civil rights (s. 92(13)), and matters of a merely local or private nature (s. 92(16)), both within provincial jurisdiction under the Constitution Act, 1867 (U.K.), 30 & 31 Vict., c. 3.

[13] While finding Bylaw 871 did not purport to regulate the operation of boats or other marine vessels, the judge determined it did impact moorage by permitting temporary boat moorage and moorage buoys only if accessory to the use of the immediately abutting upland parcel. Applying the doctrine of interjurisdictional immunity to Bylaw 871, the judge held it could not prohibit temporary moorage of vessels which falls within the protected “core” of shipping and navigation, a matter exclusively within federal jurisdiction.

Yeah Agent we have both been in agreement since the get go that mooring incidental to navigation cannot be denied by a municipal bylaw. I have stated that numerous times in this thread and am at a loss why you keep trying to pretend that this is at issue in the Victoria bylaw. Remember the one where " their butt is swinging in the wind".

We have been talking about municipal bylaws, which are talking about setting limits and in effect defining what temporary moorage is. To continue to deflect to a hypothetical bylaw you are imagining that impedes navigation by banning all forms of moorage/anchoring is just mudding the waters.

If however it helps. Should some hypothetical municipality at some point, pass a hypothetical bylaw, that bans moorage/ anchorage incidental to navigation, that would be wrong. Until then I think we've beat this one to death.

She does NOT look like Pamela Anderson....
Mayberry? or Clark?
Would be interesting to see how Mayberry made her determination - testing for faecal coliforms - or how?
Also interesting that Mayberry is the past Chair, Board of Directors, of the Boat Daycare Society....

Last edited:
The one that lived on the boat, the author said she looks like Pam....
Some of the questionable and unsupported claims she makes on this audio interview:

She says: "You require a permit to live on your boat" - NEGATIVE. Anyone can live-on and/or navigate a boat in Canada. This is NOT municipally-regulated through permits. When the interviewer questions her on this she says :"you can get a moorage permit" - thereby avoiding admitting that. reference above conversations re: navigation.

She states that only ~20 boats are at anchor - while the rest are in Marinas connected to a sanitary water system. Her proof: she claims that they had a "greena-city scholar" [whatever that is] complied and analyzed all the data that has been collected to date that "helped to focus" the understanding of what the actual sources of pollution were - and that the main source of faecal coliforms were human waste (no "duh" there in Vancouver...).

Yet there's only 20 boats dumping sewerage - compared to the whole population of Vancouver. Then she states that the sewer outfalls only "overfill" (and not "function normally" other times) at high water events. So "presto" out comes a magic wand and the blame wand hits the boats.

If they had instead wanted to prove it - they could of instead did faecal counts (MPN method) at the outfalls and looked at discharge rates of the outfalls and dilution effects/discharge of the river - but they didn't because they are "SURE" it is the boats. What???

Maybe it is instead that the Fraser is at high water at that time of year and backfloods the sewerage back into False Creek:
FRASHOP.gif

The sewerage is not the only thing that stinks here...

Last edited:
Back