Flasher variations?

CVmike

Are new flasher variations designed to catch fish?... Or fisherman? I have caught many fish on the classic green and siver/ red and silver flashers but have been recently intrigued by the new flashers. UV's, purple onion, bon chovey.. super betsy's... The list goes on and on.
What's your opinion? Do the fish have rich taste? Can they tell the difference between a 10$ and a 15-20$ flasher? Or do the classics fish just as well as the new flashy ones on the market?

Find a color that you like and it will catch you fish.
my "go to" flasher is glow/moon jelly.
works well all year

my "go to" flasher is glow/moon jelly.

One of my top 3! ;)

The new flashers do have some great reflective/glow/iridescent properties (if you want to call it that) in the water. The "kinetic" ones have some great look in the water. I largely just run the newer ones.....but my old favourite is the Boogie Man with a glow blade. Just gold/silver tape.....love that one. :D

In saying that about the new ones....a FEW salmon have been caught before these new ones came out I believe. ;)

One of my top 3! ;)

The new flashers do have some great reflective/glow/iridescent properties (if you want to call it that) in the water. The "kinetic" ones have some great look in the water. I largely just run the newer ones.....but my old favourite is the Boogie Man with a glow blade. Just gold/silver tape.....love that one. :D

In saying that about the new ones....a FEW salmon have been caught before these new ones came out I believe. ;)

Agreed. But don't fool yourself - salmon are evolving. They are becoming vain and are trending toward 'never being seen' caught on a 2014 offering much less something from the 2000's or .... the 80s, well except for the hipster lunkers.

- Gold Betsy

The social media and guides out there would all have you believe it better be a "Gibbs Delta Guide Series" or some "Club Dub" "Monkey Puke" or "Salty Dawg" Flasher to have a reasonable chance to catch a Chinook.

Well, the old Red, green and blue Hot Spots still out produce anything these "marketing machines" have yet to produce. Until I see rows and racks full of Gibbs Deltas on the back of commercial trollers I'll stick to my classic flashers and fish the new fangled psycho flashers for ***** and giggles. Fish aren't smart.

a wise old fisherman who caught more salmon than i ever will - bob wright- told me , flasher don t catch fish- flashers catch fisherman!!! lol

a wise old fisherman who caught more salmon than i ever will - bob wright- told me , flasher don t catch fish- flashers catch fisherman!!! lol

If this the same Bob Wright who is now deceased, you and I are talking about the same person. I'll never forget my guest's Tyee getting wrapped up in his guests lines because he refused to veer off and reel up his lines. We ended up losing the fish. He then accused me of not staying on top of the fish. I guess I was supposed to ram him out of the way given that we were 50 feet from eachother off Gong Show Point.

Originals for the win!

I like the original flashers such as red, green and blue are working very well.

I like the super Betsy ( gold and glow) is working for catching big springs.

Other flashers are looking nice and cool.

Agreed. But don't fool yourself - salmon are evolving. They are becoming vain and are trending toward 'never being seen' caught on a 2014 offering much less something from the 2000's or .... the 80s, well except for the hipster lunkers.

- Gold Betsy
Lol!!

A few years ago I had a buddy tell me about his awesome flasher. I bought a box at Trotac and went fishing on wcvi. Did quite well and when I told him he said yeah they are great. I showed him the setup and he said that is not what I told u to get. Turned out the box was mislabelled.

i seen one this year for the first time ,black pastic hotspot body with moonglow 3"x10" strip and on the forward convect side a glow strip the length 1 " wide.what is this flashers name?

I probably have hundreds of Flashers. Many vintage old metal dodgers and Flashers. They mostly all produce at one time or another. Some work much better in specific light conditions, bright sunshine vs. Overcast, late night, early morning, dark water, gin clear.. Etc. Etc...

I think guys give the finish on the flasher way too much emphasis. Not sure if Captain Downriggers website is still up, or not. He had some very innovative ideas in lure and flasher presentation on his website. He actually removed the tape or bought untaped blanks and claimed they were superior to off the shelf Flashers. Some he taped up with a thin glow stripe.

That kind of got me thinking. I had a lot of Flashers with damaged or peeled tape on one side. I used to give them away or chuck them when they got beat up, as I figured they were pretty much useless.

After reading his modifications he did to his Flashers including drilling holes in them I thought I'd do some experimenting with my junkers I had kicking around..

I'll be dammed if the totally untaped Flashers didn't out produce some of my favorite taped versions at times. Some years those were the hottest Flashers I had. Sockeye seem to really like untapped Flashers in red and chartreuse colors at times. The springs also seemed to like those colors as well. Although the springs seemed to prefer them with a small diamond shaped bit of green tape added.

I also have taken a saw and bucked off a chunk at the rear end of those untaped Flashers and the fish seemed to like that mod as well. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that in my opinion the tape finish on a flasher is way over rated.

This weekend I took the wife out. Normally I fish glow flashers but the fish have been up shallow latley so I dug out a beat up 10 year old silver betsy that I forgot existed. Low and behold we hooked up 8 fish on that rod. Bit of an eye opener for us but fun day none the less.

One year in Nootka on one rod we exclusively fished a beat up green flasher, barely any tape left. It out fished anything else we put on the other side 3-1.

Especially when fishing in the top 100 feet, I don't believe the tape/flash makes a damn bit of difference.

Greens, blues and purples - in that order are the first out of my box.

I probably have hundreds of Flashers. Many vintage old metal dodgers and Flashers. They mostly all produce at one time or another. Some work much better in specific light conditions, bright sunshine vs. Overcast, late night, early morning, dark water, gin clear.. Etc. Etc...

I think guys give the finish on the flasher way too much emphasis. Not sure if Captain Downriggers website is still up, or not. He had some very innovative ideas in lure and flasher presentation on his website. He actually removed the tape or bought untaped blanks and claimed they were superior to off the shelf Flashers. Some he taped up with a thin glow stripe.

That kind of got me thinking. I had a lot of Flashers with damaged or peeled tape on one side. I used to give them away or chuck them when they got beat up, as I figured they were pretty much useless.

After reading his modifications he did to his Flashers including drilling holes in them I thought I'd do some experimenting with my junkers I had kicking around..

I'll be dammed if the totally untaped Flashers didn't out produce some of my favorite taped versions at times. Some years those were the hottest Flashers I had. Sockeye seem to really like untapped Flashers in red and chartreuse colors at times. The springs also seemed to like those colors as well. Although the springs seemed to prefer them with a small diamond shaped bit of green tape added.

I also have taken a saw and bucked off a chunk at the rear end of those untaped Flashers and the fish seemed to like that mod as well. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that in my opinion the tape finish on a flasher is way over rated.

Chartreuse double glow crushed flasher has been my go to for a long time , and a good collection of guide series that are on steady ,good priced and work ..ok cool names too loll .
and all the other brand of flasher names i remember is betsy.. the rest by colour :cool:.

One chrome and blue no glow for super clean water that's the only non glow.

Heck on that insane sockeye year the double crushed flasher on both sides were killing it ...:D so the red or orange flasher thing went out the window killer year i guess .

Last edited:
According to popular media in fishing reports these days the best flashers are the most expensive ones...guess that must be true...by default...lol

I have always sworn by the old standard red and green flashers like Andrew is saying. Bought about 25 from a marine/tackle place in Langley that was going out of business about 5 years ago, thought I hit the jackpot at about $6 a piece.
I will say the gold Betsy can be dynamite as well.

Back