Flasher or Not

Beacon

When using a spoon like a skinny G do you use a flasher or not. If so what length between the flasher and the spoon.

Cheers

winter, dummy flasher, spoon 10' back

spring early summer 6'

Fishing the Vancouver waters I use a flasher all year. With the water clarity it makes sense as when ever I have tried without I get nothing but a sense that I’m not fishing properly. But that’s just me.

With a spoon I use a leader length that is both arms stretched out, with hoochies I use a length that is one arm stretched out and the other hand folded to my chest.

Don’t over think it.

I constantly try to get fish without flashers in line as the fight is way better.
This dummy flasher set up that Andrew P posts on his site is similar to what I use and is very effective.

Attachments

• C6612E5C-8EA1-4074-9BAB-06EDE87F17D0.jpeg
    C6612E5C-8EA1-4074-9BAB-06EDE87F17D0.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 220
I constantly try to get fish without flashers in line as the fight is way better.

Agree 100%. I hope to only use dummy flashers from now on, unless I’m fishing hoochies. Although, this past summer 90% of the time it was plugs and spoons. Way more fun to fish, not fighting a flasher.

I like the above setup but prefer to have 6’ between the flasher and second clip.

Great question. I fished with a guide once who was using Anchovy; dummy flasher on one side, in-line flasher on the other side. Dummy outfitted the in-line 2-0. Very non-scientific study. Most use an in-line flasher with a spoon. I NEVER do. Remember that guides are usually fishing with rookies; as such they need to hook-up lot's of fish, so it makes sense for them to use a in-line flasher. If there are lot's of fish & they are in a biting mood, Iv'e caught large Salmon on a spoon dead in the water.
I doubt that an in-line flasher adds much action with the leader lengths mentioned above, so the flasher is a visual & sonic attractor only - might as well be a dummy then IMO.

Next outing i'm gonna give it an honest full day fish, one side dummy/lure... and the other side flasher/lure.
with the consistent bites out there what better time to test, for local waters... if this turns out more hook ups
i'll be ecstatic, new setup for hitting those fish that are easily spooked maybe.

I doubt that an in-line flasher adds much action with the leader lengths mentioned above, so the flasher is a visual & sonic attractor only - might as well be a dummy then IMO

With 6' leader and under the flasher makes quite a difference.
have a look at the flasher arc and how that affects the spoon.

With 6' leader and under the flasher makes quite a difference.
have a look at the flasher arc and how that affects the spoon.
For longer spoon leaders (5-7') It's not so much that the flasher creates the additional action as it rotates (a la hootchie whip), but it's the turbulent water that the flasher creates that makes the spoon do a few extra wobbles.

This dummy flasher set up that Andrew P posts on his site is similar to what I use and is very effective.
The dummy system as shown works well....and good with PLUGS also but set plug much further back...like 30-50 feet.

Back