Flasher and spoon wrapping around each other

uksf23

Hi I’m relatively new to trolling , when I bring one of my downriggers up to check the set up I get my flasher and spoon wrapped around each other in a mess . Any suggestions on what I’m doing wrong please

Jono

ok, first how far back from your release clip are you running your flasher and spoon, 2nd how long a leader are you using, are they new flashers,

More times then not I find this will happen for 1 of 2 reasons, 1 being you lowered the downrigger to fast for how you were moving, or 2 slowed down to much and maybe even went backwards abit because of the current or turned a corner to sharp, Ive had it happen a few times to me and most of the times it because one of those reasons...

Hope that helps!
Michael

What pound test are you using to connect the spoon & the flasher?

30# is minimum and twice that not too heavy.

As others have said above would be the questions.

Are you sitting in neutral bringing up your gear?

Are you dropping too fast? You should see the line bouncing as soon as you drop at that point.

I’m running 30lbs test with new flashers about 25feet from the release clip and the spoon is about 35-40” from the flasher , I’m also using swivels and never bring up in neutral , I may be dropping too fast I think . Thanks for all the advise will try and drop the line slower and see if that works .
Jono

I’m running 30lbs test with new flashers about 25feet from the release clip and the spoon is about 35-40” from the flasher , I’m also using swivels and never bring up in neutral , I may be dropping too fast I think . Thanks for all the advise will try and drop the line slower and see if that works .
Jono

make sure you’re in gear when dropping your flasher and spoon, so it blows back and away from your downrigger cable on the drop. also 25’ from the clip seems excessive. personally i only run about 15’ max , but i don’t think that’s your problem here

Many thanks for all the replies I will try some of the tips once the weather improves
Jono
Are you using the relatively new hi-speed riggers? If so I find it helps to stop the retrival at 20 or 30 ft because sometimes you cannot retrieve the slack fast-enough and the flasher will pick it up and make a heck of a tangle! Plus all the other stuff mentioned above

We had this issue last year and shortened up our tag to 15 ft as mentioned above and no more tangles. Also try not to drop sideways in steeper current.

Back