Fixing a broken flasher terminal gear

pescador

I've collected 30+ flashers over the past 10 years that have broken terminal gear at the bait end of the flasher. I find that over time they all seem to break or weaken by constant connecting and changing gear. I use pretty well only Hot Spots. Anyway, I don't want to toss them out and am looking for ways to replace the terminal gear some how. They all still have a ball bearing swivel and metal loop. Somebody told me to just connect on a duolock snap to the metal loop and you're ok. Just doesn't seem like the perfect solution to me though. Any ideas?

ok, I know what a Hawaiian snap is. just looked it up. I'm not keen on that approach. There has to be a better way to make them factory new.

Add Berkley snap and ball bearing swivel as needed. If old swivel still there ( on ring ) and unusable then you can cut off old swivel. If you really want to use the old swivel that is on the ring and it is a working ball bearing that has just lost its old duo-lock then you could alternatively just add a split ring to it ( where the duo-lock broke off) and then a Berkley snap. Then attach leader with the bead swivel.

As you may be noticing I dislike the duo-locks and much prefer Berkley snaps.

You could also just use flashers for dummies as they don't need anything on the bottom end.

Or turn your flashers into copies of a "Farr Better" flasher by adding a GDF quick release

Attachments

• Berkley_Snaps_Nickle.jpg
    Berkley_Snaps_Nickle.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 7
....Somebody told me to just connect on a duolock snap to the metal loop and you're ok. Just doesn't seem like the perfect solution to me though. Any ideas?

This ancient POS must be 12 years old if not more and was the hottest in the arsenal @ Nootka last year-no need to overthink things.

20190130_172334[1].jpg

Add Berkley snap and ball bearing swivel as needed. If old swivel still there ( on ring ) and unusable then you can cut off old swivel. If you really want to use the old swivel that is on the ring and it is a working ball bearing that has just lost its old duo-lock then you could alternatively just add a split ring to it ( where the duo-lock broke off) and then a Berkley snap. Then attach leader with the bead swivel.

As you may be noticing I dislike the duo-locks and much prefer Berkley snaps.

You could also just use flashers for dummies as they don't need anything on the bottom end.

Or turn your flashers into copies of a "Farr Better" flasher by adding a GDF quick release
I'm not sure I understand how you're still not fighting the flasher. Maybe I missed something.

This ancient POS must be 12 years old if not more and was the hottest in the arsenal @ Nootka last year-no need to overthink things.

View attachment 43061

After putting on the Hawaiians, which I happen to have in my terminal gear box, I'm starting to think the Duolock Snap is an easier solution. You have to put pressure on the Hawaiians to get them on the split ring and that makes them change shape a bit. Plus I have on set of carpal tunnel and my dexterity aren't what is used to be. Not sure I trust them having gone thru the process. btw, I have the same ancient piece of ****. I think I've got every flasher ever made. Thanks guys....

I'm not sure I understand how you're still not fighting the flasher. Maybe I missed something.

A bit off topic from this thread but here is basic description. 'Farr Better' flasher slides up line toward rod from top ring as fish runs after the pin releases from bottom holes (a big bead and crimp stop prevents it from sliding opposite direction, toward fish) I have used these and they work great but the problem is that the variety of flashers were limited so I just stopped using them. If I had time I'd make up my own with flasher styles of my choice.

The GDF or similar device I've never used but see in use down in Puget Sound. Similar pin release at bottom of flasher but main line stays fixed to the top of flasher. Not sliding. The fact the flasher becomes just attached at top when a fish is on apparently provides a more direct fight with fish and less interference from flasher. Never tried it so can't speak for its success but our friends down south seem to like em. When I first saw people playing fish with these it kinda resembles a tangled leader lol

A bit off topic from this thread but here is basic description. 'Farr Better' flasher slides up line toward rod from top ring as fish runs after the pin releases from bottom holes (a big bead and crimp stop prevents it from sliding opposite direction, toward fish) I have used these and they work great but the problem is that the variety of flashers were limited so I just stopped using them. If I had time I'd make up my own with flasher styles of my choice.

The GDF or similar device I've never used but see in use down in Puget Sound. Similar pin release at bottom of flasher but main line stays fixed to the top of flasher. Not sliding. The fact the flasher becomes just attached at top when a fish is on apparently provides a more direct fight with fish and less interference from flasher. Never tried it so can't speak for its success but our friends down south seem to like em. When I first saw people playing fish with these it kinda resembles a tangled leader lol
I feel like having a fish on the end of your flasher creates less drag than a free spinning flasher.

I feel like having a fish on the end of your flasher creates less drag than a free spinning flasher.

A flasher being pulled backwards ( eg fish running ) for sure has less drag than a flasher being trolled foward ( spinning ) so

Yes with regular flasher set up, as the fish pulls/runs (flasher being pulled backwards ) it is designed to not spin and therefore much less drag. The GDF system doesn't slide at the top so does seem like you'd be introducing flasher spin when playing a fish. Flasher spin = drag. Have no hands on use with it so rather than speculate, maybe one of our Puget Sound members or anyone that has used one could chime in ? I suppose if one was really interested they could contact GDF directly. I'd suggest that until I know more, and from my experience with the 'Farr Better' sliding system is that it is far better.....lol

Last edited:
[QUOTE="

one of our Puget Sound members or anyone that has used one could chime in ? l[/QUOTE]

I'm one of those guys!

I've used a bunch of the "releasing" flashers but never the GDF. The best were the no longer made q-cove. MUCH less resistance from the flasher when the fish was on.

On flasher topic, but off the OG topic - tried dream weaver spin Dr flasher last year in 8" version. They seem to exit the water on a slant thereby reducing the crazy tension change that happens when a traditional in line flasher exits.

HB

s-l500.jpg

Wayne longrens were the best. Could Clint r copy these out of stainless? Sorry to assist the topic wandering

Speaking of flashers... I have seen no mention on this forum of the new ProTroll blinking LED flashers. Down here in Puget Sound they have become extremely popular and the guys are knocking them dead. They are activated when they enter the water. Maybe they are not legal in BC ?

Speaking of flashers... I have seen no mention on this forum of the new ProTroll blinking LED flashers....Maybe they are not legal in BC ?
No that kind of thing is legal here.

ProTroll do have reputation for selling the cheapest kind of idiotic junk that falls apart in no time though that may be why local retailers are hesitant to carry them.

No that kind of thing is legal here.

ProTroll do have reputation for selling the cheapest kind of idiotic junk that falls apart in no time though that may be why local retailers are hesitant to carry them.
Pew pew pew! Shots fired! Lol

[QUOTE="

one of our Puget Sound members or anyone that has used one could chime in ? l

I'm one of those guys!

I've used a bunch of the "releasing" flashers but never the GDF. The best were the no longer made q-cove. MUCH less resistance from the flasher when the fish was on.

On flasher topic, but off the OG topic - tried dream weaver spin Dr flasher last year in 8" version. They seem to exit the water on a slant thereby reducing the crazy tension change that happens when a traditional in line flasher exits.

HB[/QUOTE]

The Q dove was a knock off of the Farr better flasher the colour s weren't great and plastic used were soft plus the pin used is too big affecting the action . I've been told his real business is plastic manufacturing of food container.
Thus the ability to to build a flasher blade fairly easily.

Farr better flasher work great when trolling chovies or spoons I pull the pin so the blade helicoptors around in a bigger rotation . Something different for the salmon to look at.

Back