Fishing Trip

Brian Lehr

During the first week of June, my son is treating me to a father/son fishing road trip for my 55th birthday. The plan is to drive from Edmonton to Hope, do a day charter on the Fraser for Sturgeon, and then head to Victoria for a day charter for salmon/halibut. Since we'll be driving and tenting, we're hoping to line up some nice lakes (preferably with campgrounds) along the way. We'll also have an aluminum boat with a trolling motor.

For those of you who are familiar with that area, would you have any good recommendations?

Thanks.

Brian

this will be time to hit the lakes as the big
muddy....mighty fraser will be cresting
soon with the spring thaw from what the province emassed throughout this past winter.
With that said id be looking at some lakes
around merrit or princeton as you head
west....

a little late for cutties and early for pinks
interior lakes would be your best bet
then head for the coast for some stellar
memories

Hi Brian.

I think you need to give a bit more info to get recommendations. Are you just talking about lakes and camping along the way to fish in BC. Your aluminum boat how big is it? Electric motor, or gas &HP. Some lakes have elec only, or HP restrictions. Downriggers? How do you fish, are you a flyfisher, or strictly gear. If you are strictly a fly fisher that will affect the choice of lakes. What route into BC were you planning on taking. The more details you give the better, so guys can give you good advice.

1. Lakes and camping along the main route, or not too far off.
2. Route will be Hwy 16 (Yellowhead) from Edmonton up through Jasper and Mt. Robson; then BC5.
3. Not a large boat, maybe 11 feet (transported on top of my van), with electric trolling motor.
4. Mainly gear fishing with bait, rapalas, spoons, etc.

We're taking about 8 days for the trip, so we're looking forward to enjoying the great BC outdoors.

I'd stop at Roche or Tunkwa on your way though the interior. Agreed with 1Marko about the Fraser, maybe spend a 2nd day fishing in the salt on the island somewhere else like Tofino, Uki, Port Renfrew (closer to Victoria)

you should try Elk lake in Victoria, or even Mesachie lake if you're willing to make the trip up to lake cowichan. I would stay off Cowichan lake with only an electric engine.

Johnson lake not to far from Barriere is a really nice spot. Lake is a really beautiful blue colour

If you're coming down the Yellow Head you could turn west at Little Fort on to HWY 24 then you're within 40 min. of some of the best fresh water trout fishing in B.C., Highway 24 is known as the fishing highway, the beginning of june could be prime time! You could be there 3 weeks and fish a different trophy lake every day. It's B.C.'s fresh water heaven.

Back