Fishing line?????

S

sheephnter

Gents- can I take a little poll please?

WHAT fishing line you guys using out on the saltchuck and test? So many to choose from and I am all ears to learn

thank you in advance

Tight lines

Me personally I use 30 lb test maxima and i change about every 4 weeks even if it looks like it doesnt, now your probably wondering why so heavy sometimes i get guests that seem to clamp down on the reel thinking you have to hold on for dear life to get a big spring in they havent quite learned the term "let it go" LOL LOL also with all the debris in the water sometimes(weeds,wood etc) its nice to have a little bit heavier line to combat nicks.I tried the new triple fish that was brought out this very good line also but i have been a die hard maxima user for years its kinda hard to leave something that has work so well. I tried that ANDE line once and hated it thought it was absolute crap after about a week had it break like thread.
Wolf

Me personally I use 30 lb test maxima and i change about every 4 weeks even if it looks like it doesnt, now your probably wondering why so heavy sometimes i get guests that seem to clamp down on the reel thinking you have to hold on for dear life to get a big spring in they havent quite learned the term "let it go" LOL LOL also with all the debris in the water sometimes(weeds,wood etc) its nice to have a little bit heavier line to combat nicks.I tried the new triple fish that was brought out this very good line also but i have been a die hard maxima user for years its kinda hard to leave something that has work so well. I tried that ANDE line once and hated it thought it was absolute crap after about a week had it break like thread.
Wolf

Maxima 25 lb main and P-Line flourocarbon coated 25 lb leader. The P-Line is thin and strong and has worked better for me than Maxima did for leaders as far as fish in the boat.

Remember, "When the Fish aren't Biting...the Fish aren't Biting!!"

Maxima 25 lb main and P-Line flourocarbon coated 25 lb leader. The P-Line is thin and strong and has worked better for me than Maxima did for leaders as far as fish in the boat.

Remember, "When the Fish aren't Biting...the Fish aren't Biting!!"

i actually the charterboat stuff made by yakima bait co that comes in the spools u can just pull it out. handy and i've never had it break without being nicked. very good stuff. and ya i tried ande and thought it was gross. and if you use trilene bump up the test a bit because it breaks easier then maxima at the same pound test.

i actually the charterboat stuff made by yakima bait co that comes in the spools u can just pull it out. handy and i've never had it break without being nicked. very good stuff. and ya i tried ande and thought it was gross. and if you use trilene bump up the test a bit because it breaks easier then maxima at the same pound test.

Well leaders are another thing as i had said before i use 40lb yami line it is soft but very very strong 15 years ago a old commercial friend of mine gave me some to try and its the best i ever used i used to use it also on my main line but they only sell it in 500 yd spools when it was 100 yd spools i used to do 3 reels with it so thats why i use maxima now. Commercial fisherman are way harder on equipment then us sporties!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck Wolf

Well leaders are another thing as i had said before i use 40lb yami line it is soft but very very strong 15 years ago a old commercial friend of mine gave me some to try and its the best i ever used i used to use it also on my main line but they only sell it in 500 yd spools when it was 100 yd spools i used to do 3 reels with it so thats why i use maxima now. Commercial fisherman are way harder on equipment then us sporties!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck Wolf

I too like Maxima especially Chameleon for Saltwater.
I wish I could afford the stuff but I can't anymore-it's so so expensive now it's stupid.
So I switched to Ande Green and have been quite pleased-it's excellent line for a decent price.

that's why there's a warranty!

I too like Maxima especially Chameleon for Saltwater.
I wish I could afford the stuff but I can't anymore-it's so so expensive now it's stupid.
So I switched to Ande Green and have been quite pleased-it's excellent line for a decent price.

that's why there's a warranty!

I use trilene 40lbs for all-a-round purpose fishing and its cheap but maxima is far superior.

Until a few years ago it was nothing but Maxima Chameleon. Then I tried Power Pro. The diameter was so fine for any given strength, I bumped up to 50 pound and for some fishing 80 pounds. Not because you need the strength, but because the diameter is so fine you need more line diameter to keep the line from cutting into itself on the reel. So these heavier Power Pro diameters are the same as 15 and 20 pound Mono, but much stronger, of course. And, they do not cut in to the laying line. Can't see anything wrong with that. Also very little stretch so instant hook sets, even at great depths..

I find it superior for virtually every usage. It casts like a dream. I even use it for casting and drift fishing Steelhead.

I know a lot of you will say you have tried it and don't like it. Or at best, will say I am crazy, but it really works wonderful for me and after several years, I have absolutely no complaints.

In some instances I need leaders or need something in front of thw mainline. In these instances, I still go back to good old faithful Maxima.

Skip

Edited by - Pescadero on 09/06/2004 19:10:20

For the last couple years weve been fillin our reels with a service spool of 30lb triple fish. It is good line, it doesnt fray too easily and the salt doesnt seem to hurt it too much. I am a maxima fan but i find that the ultragreen corrodes easily in the salt.

I use the following:
- 30lb Maxima Ultragreen main line, 20-25 lb for leaders in saltwater.
- 100lb Tuf-Line Plus (green) for halibut
- 15 lb Maxima Chameleon for steelheading
- 6-10 Berkeley Trilene XL for bass and trout

I have never (knock on wood) had a problem with this combination yet.

Sharp hooks and full traps!

Most people are shocked when they here this:
SALMON. Maxy line green-20/25 lb main. Leaders with flasher 40 lb. Without flasher 15 lbs. (85% of my fishing is doen with bait only, flashers tied on downrigger seperatly)
HALIBUT. 100 lb. Tuffline main. 40-80 lb. mono leader (mostly 40)
LINGCOD. 40 lb. main Maxy green. 12-15 lb. leader
Leaders I prefer Cameleon for bottom scraping and Green for salmon.
MOOCHING. 20 lb. main Maxy green. Leader, 12 lb. Cameleon.

Good luck and greater fish'n.

C.S actually all I use on rivers is ironsilk 17 pound. both my level wind and spinning rod's have it, and it is awesome! on friday i landed a 30 pound spring(chrome fresh beauty) in a river and it swam through 3 trees, and went over a small water fall, as well as making me climb through several other trees and rocks scraping the %&*^% out of the line. Same thing with a couple 20 pound cohos 2 years ago. make sure you tie a palomar knot or the line is useless.

Back