Fishing Herring in Vancouver

Alex_c

Anyone fish big ******* herring to keep the shakers away? I'm interested to see how people rig them and what kind of speeds they use. I am going to open up a herring teaser head to fit a large one and run it without a flasher tomorrow to see how she goes.

Sounds like an interesting thread, let's see what the biggest herring is where you can have a six inch spring hanging off the end of it lol

What aheny said above. I tried this with a half dozen of herrings last year and the juvenile chinooks were slamming the stinger hook in the shallows. Unless you give upon the trailing stinger hook or drop your gear really deep, this won't keep the dogfish and baby chinooks away. Changing location and fishing the deeper waters seems like a better solution.
I hate dragging those pesky baby chinooks around while others are landing slabs left and right.

Agreed. I also don't like killing juvenile fish. Dragged one for at least 30 minutes with a giant 5/0 sized hole opened up in its face (yes, I should have checked my gear more often) I'll try trolling a bit faster, although I had a small jack smash a 4.5" coyote spoon yesterday...

I'll post some pics of the ridiculously huge herring setup tomorrow.

No luck today with the monster. Had to stay close in due to weather. I'll try again maybe at the sand heads.

Attachments

• 20170827_082903.jpg
    20170827_082903.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 109
I don't find it helps that much with shakers but I do really like using them. Whenever I'm fishing bait this time of year I'll have one side herring blue label

Probably roll better with a proper teaser head, super herring strip teaser head. I dont think you are getting a proper roll and know your catching even less.

Probably roll better with a proper teaser head, super herring strip teaser head. I dont think you are getting a proper roll and know your catching even less.

Lol...that's a herring teaser head. Roll looked pretty good surprisingly.

Last edited:
No luck today with the monster. Had to stay close in due to weather. I'll try again maybe at the sand heads.
I do it all the time,medium herring In a bullet roll anchovy teaser head,works like a charm,started doing that one year because lack of large anchovy and bam and bam and bam big fish,now run one side always,wish I could post a pic I just prep 36 pcs for my week in PA slash bamfield,leaving wenesday.

Back