Fishing App - which one?

Vossie

Hi there, having a tough time searching this in previous threads, just getting errors.

What fishing app would you suggest for mainly ocean fishing in BC?
At a minimum looking for one with BC regulations, boundaries and downloadable maps that can work when you are offline.
Dont mind paying for it.
Something equivalent of iHunter for fishermen.
FishingBC app any good?
Thanks

Hi there, having a tough time searching this in previous threads, just getting errors.

What fishing app would you suggest for mainly ocean fishing in BC?
At a minimum looking for one with BC regulations, boundaries and downloadable maps that can work when you are offline.
Dont mind paying for it.
Something equivalent of iHunter for fishermen.
FishingBC app any good?
Thanks
I think FishingBC is the only option. I don’t know if all the maps are still there while offline but should be able to get a good idea of where you will be and then know the map for that area.

FishingBC is probably the only and best app for what you describe. Add the mobile Navionics mobile app and you are pretty good to go. Also check out the BCWF Conservation App so you can report poachers and violaters!

+1 on the Navionics app. Besides just contours, you can also get weather, wind and tides.

Screenshot_20180321-091331.png

Screenshot_20180321-091209.png

X2 on the FishingBC app and Navionics. FishingBC has all the current regs and closures. It can tell you if you are close to a RCA. It doesn't have the salmon closure areas on it, or at least it didn't last time I used it. And the Navionics app works very well as a GPS and doesn't cost much. You can look at new areas before you head out and plan where you want to fish from the comfort of your home.

Just the one off the App Store. The RCA’s are represented by a dashed red line, you need to click on the border and then it’ll tell you that it’s an RCA. It’s not totally obvious that it’s an RCA, but if you know the area and have a good idea where they are, the app is great for letting you know when you’re getting close.
I use both the Garmin MFD as well as my Navionics when I’m out. I’m used to Navionics so sort of prefer it to Garmin for its bottom representation. It’s also a great, cost effective redundancy. There’s no way you can get that amount of info for $15/year (or whatever it is now). It’s also fun to do some planning at night when you’re not on your boat.
For what it’s worth, Garmin now owns Navionics and hopefully both maps will improve as a result.

What Navionics app you guys using ?

They streamlined it into one, there used to be several. Below are more details.

18011_Consolidation_Mobile_News_1.png

THE NEW APP:
- Includes an additional source of local information shared by boaters — theActiveCaptain® Community at Garmin®.
- Will run with an optimized interface on smartphones and tabletswith the same operating system, using the same subscription. Users will be able to sync charts and data among their mobile devices (Menu > Me > Subscription > Restore Purchases). Charts and subscription cannot be synced across Apple® and Android™ apps.

WHICH APPS WILL BE DISCONTINUED?
On Apple®:
- All the «paid titles» — These are the apps you currently pay for on the App Store; they include charts and the one-year subscription.
- Boating HD Marine & Lakes — Our FREE app for iPad® devices.

On Android™:
- All the «paid titles» — These are the apps you pay for on the Google Play Store and include charts and the one-year subscription.
- Boating Marine & Lakes — That’s our FREE app for smartphones.

Update your current app now to switch to the NEW boating app
By doing so, you will continue getting new features and updates. You will also keep your charts, the subscription days you have left and all your data and settings — at no additional cost.

If you have:
- An active subscription, you’ll also keep the subscription days you have left.
- An expired subscription, you’ll be able to renew directly in the new app.

YOU JUST NEED TO
- Update your soon-to-be-discontinued app to the latest version
- For Apple, on your mobile device, go to the App Store > «Updates»
- For Android, on your device, go to Google Play > Menu > «My apps & games»
- Then, open the app, and follow the procedure to automatically download the new boating app and transfer all your data to it.
Please be aware that the transfer process might require up to one day.

I can see the RCA areas and the SRKW No Go Zones in the Navionics app. For boundaries such as the no fishing zone out at Swiftsure or specific closure areas for Chinook, I'm guessing you have to draw that yourself? Is the best way to draw a route?

Thank you in advance!

We use Windy or Ventusky on the WCVI
X2 on the windy app. Friends live in a float cabin on the West coast. They say it is the most accurate they have used for winds and weather.
I also use Cmap Very good charts. I will check out the fishing BC app

I can see the RCA areas and the SRKW No Go Zones in the Navionics app. For boundaries such as the no fishing zone out at Swiftsure or specific closure areas for Chinook, I'm guessing you have to draw that yourself? Is the best way to draw a route?

Thank you in advance!
The Swiftshire boundaries are on the navionics app the seasonal salmon closures and whale no go zones are not . At least the one beside Swiftshire that goes to the beach near Bonilla pt is not. The one at Pender Island is

Last edited:
I used to use the Fishing BC app until I found the Mycatch app is a much more useful app than the FishingBC app. It shows your exact location with respect to the area and subarea that you are in. It also shows the exact location of the RCA's relative to your boat position so that you can fish up to but not into an RCA.

I used to use the Fishing BC app until I found the Mycatch app is a much more useful app than the FishingBC app. It shows your exact location with respect to the area and subarea that you are in. It also shows the exact location of the RCA's relative to your boat position so that you can fish up to but not into an RCA.
+1 to the Mycatch app -- it has an alarm if you stray into an RCA and is pretty good on species

Back