Fishing after full moon?

Whitebuck

Thoughts? Past experience? Planning a trip....but it coincides with a full moon. Buddy wants to reschedule trip based on full moon.
Hasnt really made a differance for me.in the past.

Last edited:
Usually big tides/currents around a full moon.
other than that, can't see a problem.
some say they feed at night during full moons

Always seems the best days are the ones you can’t go. Lol. “You should of been here yesterday, it was on fire.” How many times have we all heard that.

Always seems the best days are the ones you can’t go. Lol. “You should of been here yesterday, it was on fire.” How many times have we all heard that.
Shoulda been here yesterday, couldnt keep em off. I limited out... first hour.

I have noticed production drops on and a day or 2 either side of full moons for my boat generally, but not always. Last June's CR derby was on a full moon and plenty of good fish came in including from my boat.

If the night sky is clear I find the early dawn patrol bite isn't as consistent as would be if the night sky is cloudy because they have a chance to feed at night. As well the tides are big so slack tide bite doesn't last very long. I prefer the back end of full moon tides. I think new fish get pulled in on the big tides and then hang for a few days if there is bait around. Just speaking from experience from inside east van isle waters.

If the night sky is clear I find the early dawn patrol bite isn't as consistent as would be if the night sky is cloudy because they have a chance to feed at night. As well the tides are big so slack tide bite doesn't last very long. I prefer the back end of full moon tides. I think new fish get pulled in on the big tides and then hang for a few days if there is bait around. Just speaking from experience from inside east van isle waters.
That's true everywhere i think

Fishing: everything matters, some things matter more, what matters most changes often.

IMO excellent run timing for that area offshore; a little early for the Stamp run. High possibility of offshore restrictions due to run timing with Fraser river runs.
IMO run timing is more important than tides in that area. Find the bait & stick it out til the bite comes on.

Where we fish in JDF in the summer for big Chinook with a full moon/big tide and the related strong current, we have found that being ready for the short secondary bite times during mid-dayish tide changes is critical. With the current ripping they are often not feeding and may be hiding out deep or in the lee of structure, waiting for the current to slow down and then feed heavily for 20 minutes or so on the tide change. Make sure you are on one of your good proven spots for the change and your gear is weed free, and the chovies etc. are working. Have replacements ready and pre-rigged to snap on and work the gear quickly. That is often the difference between one big salmon in the boat and several.
As to the decision to fish or not, the wind/sea state is a much bigger factor in the decision for us, than full moons. It is just more fun and comfortable not to mention safer and we don't want to be out their fishing in the bumpy water unless we already paid for Derby tickets, especially if the wind is pushing against strong current.

I was planning a trip also at that same time. I changed my booking to a week earlier. I didn't want to deal with the full moon, etc. also. Some very good fishermen have noticed a drop off in the bite, after the full moon, even tho the tides aren't that bad.

Back