Fisherman Died at Capilano River

Was fortunate enough to Live within walking distance of the Cap for 10 years . Loved to walk and fish the river.
It is a beautiful but dangerous area as most of it is Canyon. High water events are dangerous as ther are few places to get out of the river if you go in.
A sad but common event.

So sad....such a tragedy.
I read in the Sun or Province that he was wading the tail out of the Cable Pool? I’ve waded the Gold, Squamish and Thompson when I was young and gung Ho but would have never considered wading there although I usually fished the Cap when the water was up.

A sad event. I'm sure as more info is brought to light that we'll have a better understanding of what happened. More questions than answers right now.

Yes it sure is... Started out fishing the Cap as a young man and I can say that Cap river is a killer claiming quite a few anglers over the years... the river level change so fast in that dam control river...Lost 2 of my best friends on Cap in 1982 wading the tail-out of the Ranger Run ... :(

Very sad, and apparently was an experienced well known fishermen.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/fire-departme...r-fishing-tragedy-on-capilano-river-1.4658565

"RCMP say the man took a couple steps in to the river in an attempt to untangle the fishing line when it appears he slipped."

“The waters in these rivers are extremely powerful, much more powerful than a lot of people realize,” said DeVries. “It can be deceiving, and it can be a bit disarming.”

According to police, the fisherman who died Sunday had been wearing hip waders, but it’s unclear if that may have contributed to what happened.

In light of the tragedy, RCMP and the fire department are now urging people who spend time on the river to wear lifejackets.

“With fast flowing water, you need to wear a life jacket. You need to take those safety precautions,” DeVries said.

Poor guy and his family so tragic to loose someone
That river taught me to respect the power of water, i've fished there many years back in the day and telling guys to back up or be careful it's
only a fish, one slip and you’re done.. some listen some have fish tunnel vision on the edge of a cliff trying to sling a fish up the rock
and the river is blown out...

Back