Fisheries Minister Keith Ashfield will step out of cabinet

So what do you think the chances are that we will finally have a west coast fisheries minister? It is more than time for it and in fact it would be best if that position alternated between the East and West coast. Harper has a fair number of West Coast MP's to chose from. If the conservatives continue to take the west for granted and don't use some of their West Coast talent perhaps the message BC should be sending Harper is that there is no need for so many of them come the next federal election.

I hear John Duncan is looking for a new job....lol hahahaha :)

That is funny Owen, I was thinking the same thing! (If that happened I would have to sell everything I have related to fishing - and quickly to boot, before it is worth absolutely nothing.).

Ministers are simply "Figureheads". They come and go repeatedly, and damn few ever make a hill of beans of difference while in office.
To an extent, the same can be said for ruling Federal parties when it comes to the world of fisheries.

DFO is ruled by an upper echelon of senior bureaucrats (Lifers) firmly entrenched within the castle on Kent Street. It is they who decide policy and programming and their "advice" to the Minister is basically "steering" whomever holds that office towards their various intended agendas. And btw, those senior bureaucrats are indeed "Lifers" in that they are so firmly entrenched, there is no feasible way to unhorse them from their lofty positions. Tends to make them rather unaccountable which of course has led to a fair number of the issues many have with the Department both historically and today.

Been this way for a considerably long period of time. The only wedges of change I perceive is the tight fist and budget throttling on the part of Harpo et al. And while many perceive a change is required, the type being currently inflicted is good for no-one and surely not the resources DFO is tasked with managing.

I do feel for Ashfield of course. One cannot help to given the circumstances. But as for the next Figurehead making much, or anything of a difference, I ain't holding my breath. The Machine that DFO is will continue to plod along much like it always has.

That said, it would be refreshing were a BC Minister to take that particular helm. However if he/she is knowledgeable with the concerns and issues here, and actually has something of a backbone, I fear that Herr Harpo won't allow them to last too long...

Cheers,
Nog

Back