Fish lice found in record levels

alctel

https://thetyee.ca/News/2019/06/11/Sea-Lice-Plagues-Return/

“At one point during the out-migration, sampling of smolts at the Cedar Coast Field Station found 100 per cent of the juveniles were infected with sea lice,” Glambeck said.

“If this happens for a couple more years we won’t have any wild salmon left in Clayoquot Sound,” she added. “This is the second year in a row and there should be stiff penalties for the company.”

It seems that DFO really doesn't have anything they can really do to threaten these guys.

One email dated May 4, 2018, between two DFO staffers at the aquaculture management division acknowledged the department was powerless to take action on sea lice levels that exceeded allowed levels at Cermaq’s farms in Clayoquot Sound.

“DFO staff confirmed exceedance of sea lice thresholds for these farms (one was as high as 23 lice per fish) and... have been working with Cermaq to address. We do not have any other regulatory tools to require action.”

I wish someone in government took this seriously. The BCNDP were making noises for a while about pulling leases but I haven't heard anything since

They take things like lice and conditions of licence way more serious in Norway. 3 strikes you're out - like baseball. Serious fines and suspensions along the way.

This news should come as no surprise to ANYONE.
It is a fact, excessive Sea Lice kill wild salmon smolts! There is no defending it!
Atlantic Salmon Open Fish Farms have a world wide Sea Lice problem and nowhere is it worse then right here in B.C.
Fish Farm advocates have in the past said "show me the dead fish"
What a disgusting statement to defend their killing fields.
Just saw the story on Global BC 1 news ( rerun from last night) and they report DFO will bring in penalties to Fish Farms for excessive Sea Lice outbreaks NEXT YEAR.
Penalties are not the answer!!

Last edited:
[QUOTE="
Penalties are not the answer!![/QUOTE]

Even if token penalties are eventually put in place. The question for me would be how much would these penalties be offset by direct and indirect taxpayer/Govt. provided corporate welfare.

[QUOTE="
Penalties are not the answer!!

Even if token penalties are eventually put in place. The question for me would be how much would these penalties be offset by direct and indirect taxpayer/Govt. provided corporate welfare.[/QUOTE]
It's a line item on their income statement and they wouldn't actually give a rats butt. Bussiness just caries on as per usual. Only cancelling their operating permits like they did in Washington State will work.

Summer of discontent over fish farms:
Aquaculture industry faces growing protests on Island’s west coast

“We’re seeing millions and millions of lice growing and spreading from these farms. One farm had 50 lice per fish … What we have is a huge explosion of sea lice and wild salmon are covered with them,” Dick said. “It’s not just a coincidence.”

Cermaq operates more than half of the 27 fish farms in Clayoquot Sound, though it harvested and closed three of its farms after sea lice counts spiked beyond the regulated threshold last summer.

https://hashilthsa.com/news/2019-07...ulture-industry-faces-growing-protests-island

Some of the Pinks we have caught recently going past Sooke have had lots of lice on them and not just around the anal fin, something I have not seen in previous years.

I fished pinks commercially back in the eighties for two years on the west side of the Charlottes. They were infested with sea life too!!!

Some of the Pinks we have caught recently going past Sooke have had lots of lice on them and not just around the anal fin, something I have not seen in previous years.
I noticed the same thing too.They have always been more infested than the other species of salmon but are carrying o lot of lice this year for some reason.

Back