fish head soup?Holmes!!

sammyslabber

Any recipes for fish head soup please? caught a big ling on weekend wanna make soup out of the head any ideas?
thanx sammmy...

fish heads are usually for stock, not to eat.....

Throw it and the spine and everything but the guts in the pot with just enough water to cover it. Toss in celery, onions and carrots. Simmer for a few hours and strain. Now you have a good stock, its up to you what to do, but if it was me, I'd put the veggies back in, some heavy cream and let simmer and thicken up.I would add a few diced potatoes which will also help with thickening because of the startch. add some of the cod, about 10 mins before you want to eat it, prawns 5mins and clams in the last few minutes. grab your self a nice chunk of bread and have at er!

Chowder time!

Lorne

fish heads are usually for stock, not to eat.....

Throw it and the spine and everything but the guts in the pot with just enough water to cover it. Toss in celery, onions and carrots. Simmer for a few hours and strain. Now you have a good stock, its up to you what to do, but if it was me, I'd put the veggies back in, some heavy cream and let simmer and thicken up.I would add a few diced potatoes which will also help with thickening because of the startch. add some of the cod, about 10 mins before you want to eat it, prawns 5mins and clams in the last few minutes. grab your self a nice chunk of bread and have at er!

Chowder time!

Lorne

Somehow you actually made a fish head sounds pretty yummy Lorne lol.

I smoked one two weeks ago..... Got a salad bowl FULL of great meat. most of it came from the "neck". mixed with mayo and horseradish. Made great sandwiches

tanx guys, heck why not...big ugly head why waste it...besides naysayers millions of ppl make soup from worse things everyday...it's boiling as we speak I'll go with Lorne's great advice he sounds like a man who knows his eats...SS

I'm with you bub.:D Crab type cakes come to mind. I get excited when I catch a red Snapper only for it's head and coller.;) eman

Tanx Lorne & hey the rest of you the chowder was awsome!!...started it out as discussed...covered the noggen with water in a lrg. pot cooked the crap out of it 2.5 hrs. strained & added milk & a little 1/2n1/2 coffee cream (I'm in training doing beer curls) spuds,carrots,celery & chicken paste(Cosco) spices & some leftover crab also thru in some Mango Salsa(Cosco) I put that**** on everything!... My sis n law from down south said "you throw the heads away wow" got the wife to take a pic of the "Ugly Head" for her, send it off in an e-mail...that pretty much set the stage for my wife she wanted no part of sammy's stew...funny in the end she had 2nds...Tell me guys am I at risk of getting more head???

Buen Provecho...SS

Tanx Lorne & hey the rest of you the chowder was awsome!!...started it out as discussed...covered the noggen with water in a lrg. pot cooked the crap out of it 2.5 hrs. strained & added milk & a little 1/2n1/2 coffee cream (I'm in training doing beer curls) spuds,carrots,celery & chicken paste(Cosco) spices & some leftover crab also thru in some Mango Salsa(Cosco) I put that**** on everything!... My sis n law from down south said "you throw the heads away wow" got the wife to take a pic of the "Ugly Head" for her, send it off in an e-mail...that pretty much set the stage for my wife she wanted no part of sammy's stew...funny in the end she had 2nds...Tell me guys am I at risk of getting more head???

Buen Provecho...SS

Nice!!! mango salsa is a nice touch!

Sopa de Cabeza,
We caught a parrot fish snorkeling in a village in Mexico and had a couple locals over for dinner. We filleted the fish and were about to chuck the head when the guys freaked out and thought we were nuts.
They made sopa with this thing and it was tasty. Boiled with an onion and not much else.

Reminds me of my dear departed Ma nLaw(Dona Leo) Sancoho de Gallina (boiled hen stew) most ppl fight over the neck/head some of my buddies even use the beak to pick their teeth...mi no Gracias!! SS

Back