Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say goodbye to Atlantic salmon fish farms. Motivated by the summertime escape of more than 230,000 farmed Atlantic salmon from Cooke Aquaculture’s collapsed net pen in the San Juan Islands, the Legislature voted to kick the industry out of the state. Specifically in HB 2957, lawmakers banned new leases for Atlantic salmon net-pen farming and forbade renewal of existing leases. Not giving up, Canada-based Cooke and the Washington Fish Growers Association called on Democratic Gov. Jay Inslee to veto the bill sponsored by retiring Rep. Kristine Lytton, a Democrat from Anacortes. The company is exploring “all our available options,” Joel Richardson, vice president of public relations, said in a prepared statement. Before the vote, he threatened mandatory arbitration under the North American Free Trade Agreement “to recover our confiscated investment, plus costs and lost profits” if the Legislature approved the ban. “We are deeply disappointed,” he said after the vote, adding that 600-plus rural Washington employees and their families depend on the firm for their livelihoods.

https://crosscut.com/2018/03/environmental-wins-and-losses-olympia-year

Let's hope the WA governor doesn't cave in to the corporate pressure and boots these guys out of their waters - good riddance I say!
If they want to farm Atlantic salmon have them do it on land where their harmful impacts can be better managed. Gotta keep working hard to make the same thing happen here in BC!

AA seems like ISA most likely originated from a fresh water hatchery. What safe guards are in place in our own fresh water hatcheries to insure they don't propagate virus and diseases? are they being tested to the same level and should they be?

"European ISA virus genetic sequence was detected in 72 percent of the cutthroat trout that reside in Cultus Lake, home to Canada’s most endangered Fraser River sockeye salmon population. Government attempts to restore Cultus Lake sockeye with fishing bans and habitat enhancement and restoratio"

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2016/...-virus-has-arrived-in-bc-waters/#.WqwLR67typo

Glad you brought that up WMY. There is testing for things like IHN, BKD for hatchery fish going for stock assistance programs.

The single biggest difference is that the brood stock used is from the natal river being enhanced - or rarely - and adjacent river. The natal stock would have already been exposed to those pathogens that are endemic to that watershed for thousands of years - and likely would have inherent, genetic resistance to those disease vectors.

The risk of introducing a new, novel disease vector to naive stocks would be quite low in comparison to open net-cages using Atlantic stock placed on migratory routes of wild Pacific salmon - as that comparison - again - thanks for highlighting those differences.

Oh - and by-the-way - no FF advocate seems to want to touch the fact that the PRv found now in BC is a slightly altered NORWEGIAN form of the disease. There is NO FRIKKEN WAY that one can protect the FF industry from claims of no impacts to wild Pacific salmon stocks through disease transfer and introduction when one looks at the genetics of PRv.

Glad you brought that up WMY. There is testing for things like IHN, BKD for hatchery fish going for stock assistance programs.

The single biggest difference is that the brood stock used is from the natal river being enhanced - or rarely - and adjacent river. The natal stock would have already been exposed to those pathogens that are endemic to that watershed for thousands of years - and likely would have inherent, genetic resistance to those disease vectors.

The risk of introducing a new, novel disease vector to naive stocks would be quite low in comparison to open net-cages using Atlantic stock placed on migratory routes of wild Pacific salmon - as that comparison - again - thanks for highlighting those differences.

Oh - and by-the-way - no FF advocate seems to want to touch the fact that the PRv found now in BC is a slightly altered NORWEGIAN form of the disease. There is NO FRIKKEN WAY that one can protect the FF industry from claims of no impacts to wild Pacific salmon stocks through disease transfer and introduction when one looks at the genetics of PRv.

So if we took Fraser river chinook, say and used harrison brood stock, Stuck them out in the SOG and harvested them or used them for SRKW food, that would be a much better and safe method?

WoW! sorry, WMY - not following your train of thought - if there is one

WoW! sorry, WMY - not following your train of thought - if there is one

I am saying if we use pacific species that are native to our watersheds for farming that disease and virus transfer is a non issue beacuse

he single biggest difference is that the brood stock used is from the natal river being enhanced - or rarely - and adjacent river. The natal stock would have already been exposed to those pathogens that are endemic to that watershed for thousands of years - and likely would have inherent, genetic resistance to those disease vectors.

Last edited:

Is the varrent your talking about different from these ones?

The ability of PRV to cause HSMI in Norwegian Atlantic salmon (4) is in contrast with laboratory challenge studies of BC Atlantic salmon that demonstrated high transmissibility of PRV but failure to elicit HSMI by either injection or cohabitation (22). Differences between Norwegian and Canadian studies may be confounded by challenge methodologies, PRV strain differences or other variables influencing stress and host disease resistance (4). Continuing genetic studies have shown that PRV has at least three major variants in salmonids: PRV (also called Genotype I) in Norwegian Atlantic salmon with two sub-genogroups 1a (also in BC Atlantic salmon; BC, WA, AK Pacific salmonids and Chilean coho salmon) and 1b (also in Chilean Atlantic and coho salmon); PRV-2 in Japanese farmed coho salmon causing EIBS; and a third variant (PRV-3 or Genogroup II) in Chilean coho salmon and Norwegian rainbow trout (5, 6, 7, 17).

If your interested in the PRv and where it came from you need to read these three papers. It's clear that it came from Norwegian Atlantic salmon and it's clear it got here in the last 20 years or so. Anything else is just an attempt to muddy the waters with plausible deniability. A tactic that has been used with the tobacco industry and others.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0141475

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0164926

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0188690&type=printable

A tactic that has been used with the tobacco industry and others.

Kinda like the climate change deniers eh?

If your interested in the PRv and where it came from you need to read these three papers. It's clear that it came from Norwegian Atlantic salmon and it's clear it got here in the last 20 years or so.

Those three papers did not clear things up for me....

"If PRV was endemic to western North America, it is equally probable that movement of infected Pacific salmon or trout eggs could have concomitantly spread PRV in Europe. There have been no published retrospective studies of archived samples conducted in Norway to determine how long the virus has been present in that country. However, Atlantic salmon tissues from Norway collected in 1988 tested positive for PRV RNA (Rimstad pers. comm.) suggesting that the virus was present at least a decade prior to the first reports of HSMI. There has been little surveillance for this virus outside Norway and Western North America. Thus, it is premature to speculate about transmission pathways given the lack of understanding of the global distribution of PRV."

Again i'm gonna have to side with the Alaskan Scientists

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/PRV whitepaper revised Sept 2017.pdf?3c0h5&b2f0s02j4i

The Alaskan Scientists are not from Canada or from anti fish farm people. In fact Alaska probably has more to gain if fish farms are removed from Canada

Also Yes i did read Almo's conclusion but again she is being paid to come up with that conclusion

"Conclusion We conclude that the longer-term presence of PRV in BC prior to 2001 has not been adequately described and that the evidence that the virus was introduced from Norway is more robust than the hypothesis that PRV is endemic to the eastern Pacific Ocean."

This one does concern me

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0171471

Last edited:
Kinda like the climate change deniers eh?
Those three papers did not clear things up for me....

"If PRV was endemic to western North America, it is equally probable that movement of infected Pacific salmon or trout eggs could have concomitantly spread PRV in Europe. There have been no published retrospective studies of archived samples conducted in Norway to determine how long the virus has been present in that country. However, Atlantic salmon tissues from Norway collected in 1988 tested positive for PRV RNA (Rimstad pers. comm.) suggesting that the virus was present at least a decade prior to the first reports of HSMI. There has been little surveillance for this virus outside Norway and Western North America. Thus, it is premature to speculate about transmission pathways given the lack of understanding of the global distribution of PRV."

Again i'm gonna have to side with the Alaskan Scientists

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/PRV whitepaper revised Sept 2017.pdf?3c0h5&b2f0s02j4i

The Alaskan Scientists are not from Canada or from anti fish farm people. In fact Alaska probably has more to gain if fish farms are removed from Canada

Thank you for making my point on plausible deniability. A claim that PRv came from BC to the Atlantic without a shred of evidence.
You can choose who you want to believe as I could care less. The arguments are made in the science literature so until I see a fourth paper on the subject count me as, your theroy holds no water.

Thank you for making my point on plausible deniability. A claim that PRv came from BC to the Atlantic without a shred of evidence.
You can choose who you want to believe as I could care less. The arguments are made in the science literature so until I see a fourth paper on the subject count me as, your theroy holds no water.

One thing does concern me after reading all these papers is that hatcheries and net pens are breeding grounds for viruses and disease. They are also extremely under tested. Why are we skimming morts out of net pens and not testing why they died?

To me it doesn't matter where it came from, its here. The question is what harm is it doing. I have seen no evidence either strain of PRV is harming wild salmon ... or did I miss that paper?

To me it doesn't matter where it came from, its here.

Last time I checked their was pink salmon in atlantic canada.... must not bother them to much all the PRV invested waters over thier!

"Sutton told CBC that there was an attempt to introduce pink salmon in the province back in the 1960s in North Harbour River in St. Mary's Bay."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...salmon-newfoundland-labrador-russia-1.4297983

"There was also a stocking program to transplant these pink salmon into some rivers in northern Russia starting in the late 1950s and running right through until about 2001," Sutton said. "The fish there apparently did take and this year we understand there's been an explosion of them."

Good luck proving where PRV came from or originated or any of its variants, Unless we have a time machine to go back 100 years and test the salmon on both coasts there's been to much introduction both ways to ever determine where the virus came from.

One thing's for certain you certainly cannot blame the introduction of PRV on Fish farms. Even Mortons paper does not say it was introduced by fish farms altho im sure she would of loved to make that correlation if she could have.

Last edited:
Molly JT Kibenge, Tokinori Iwamoto, Yingwei Wang, Alexandra Morton, Richard Routledge, and Frederick SB Kibenge. 2016. Discovery of variant infectious salmon anaemia virus (ISAV) of European genotype in British Columbia, Canada. Virology Journal (2016) 13:3

p.5:ISAV sequences detected in British Columbia fish include both ISAV-HPRΔ and ISAV-HPR0 and are of European genotype”.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Molly JT Kibenge, Tokinori Iwamoto, Yingwei Wang, Alexandra Morton, Marcos G Godoy, and Frederick SB Kibenge. 2013. Whole-genome analysis of piscine reovirus (PRV) shows PRV represents a new genus in family Reoviridae and its genome segment S1 sequences group it into two separate sub-genotypes. Virology Journal 2013, 10:230

p.10:Chilean PRV strains had 100% amino acid sequence identity with the Norwegian strain Reovirus sp. Salmo/GP-2010/NOR, whereas the Canadian strains had ≤92.7% amino acid sequence identity with this [Norwegian] PRV strain…”

p.11:Our analysis using BEAST simulation [32] shows the time when Canadian PRV isolates diverged from Norwegian PRV isolates was between 2006 and 2011
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heart and skeletal muscle inflammation (HSMI) disease diagnosed on a British Columbia salmon farm through a longitudinal farm study
  • Emiliano Di Cicco ,
  • Hugh W. Ferguson,
  • Angela D. Schulze,
  • Karia H. Kaukinen,
  • Shaorong Li,
  • Raphaël Vanderstichel,
  • Øystein Wessel,
  • Espen Rimstad,
  • Ian A. Gardner,
  • K. Larry Hammell,
  • Kristina M. Miller
logo.plos.95.png

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0171471#sec029

Alternately, in sampling programs that may capture only a small number of fish on a farm, whether in response to a mortality event or as in the Audit program, as a random sampling event at non-peak stages of disease, it may be difficult to diagnose HSMI with a high degree of confidence

to date, lack of access to representative samples throughout the life cycle limits the conclusions possible for the natural history of the complex relationship between PRV and HSMI in wild fish populations.

Has someone sent all this evidence to horgan and andrew weaver so they can do their job and stop the leases?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back