Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
The smoking gun - FINALLY after all the years of denials. I wish there was some accountability from the FF lobby as to their actions. I hope this ends up in a class-action lawsuit...

PRV VIRUS MAY CAUSE DISEASE IN CHINOOK SALMON
The Pacific Salmon Foundation is taking the unusual step of posting a scientific paper in advance of publication within a scientific journal. The paper by Di Cicco et al. (2018) was accepted for publication in FACETS on the 23 April 2018 and is referenced as: DOI 10.1139/facets-2018-0008. This article will be released in the journal in May or June, 2018 editions but the date is uncertain. The paper is an outcome of the Strategic Salmon Health Initiative lead by Dr. Kristi Miller-Saunders (DFO Science) and Dr. Brian Riddell (PSF) but neither person will be available for comment from mid-May through early June, 2018. To respect that media or others may wish comment from these leaders, PSF and the editor of FACETS have decided that posting the article in advance is an appropriate means to address this.
https://www.psf.ca/news-media/prv-virus-may-cause-disease-chinook-salmon

how is this the smoking gun???? it says "it may cause disease"

does it or doesn't it???? this goes both ways still.

I believe most share your frustration bones. If you are Pro or Anti FF, the inconclusiveness of the report is frustrating.

I believe that this is just the 1st in a string of investigations into the release of PRv/HMSI and other exotic diseases into wild fish populations by the FF industry and demonstrates how inadequate the testing for these diseases has been so far - and the lack of focus on protecting wild stocks by the regulators who are instead defenders of the FF industry. What about herring? Eulachon? the list goes on. It's the problem w the "OPEN" part of the open net-pen technology...

There has been no findings of HSMI in pacific salmon Farmed or wild that im aware of.
Perhaps your not looking and have forgot what the new science paper is telling us.
I wonder if we have seen this before and now that I'm preparing for the pain of this fishing season on the harrison springs could this be related?

What the hell is turning pink salmon yellow in the Fraser River?
YellowSalmon2011.jpg

https://www.straight.com/blogra/what-hell-turning-pink-salmon-yellow-fraser-river

Perhaps your not looking and have forgot what the new science paper is telling us.
I wonder if we have seen this before and now that I'm preparing for the pain of this fishing season on the harrison springs could this be related?

What the hell is turning pink salmon yellow in the Fraser River?
YellowSalmon2011.jpg

https://www.straight.com/blogra/what-hell-turning-pink-salmon-yellow-fraser-river

Yep the new paper says that that prv may cause jaundice.

That’s correct. However AA said HSMI. We should stick to facts.

HSMI has been found in farmed Atlantic salmon not farmed or wild pacific salmon.

I would recommend reading the discussion on the PSF paper on Prv - very informative as to the differences and similarities in etiology between PRv in Chinook verses Atlantics....

How about the PSF just come out and say in a news breefing that without a shadow of doubt fish farms are causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands of wild salmon.

so we can all just move on

It will certainly be interesting to see if the Provincial Government will renew the 22 Fish Farm tenures in June and if they do not renew some or all of them, what the reaction will be from the Fish Farm guys!!
Gota admit there has been a lot of credible science and terrible PR videos and Sea Lice reports for Fish Farms lately!

B.C. government 'very interested' in moving open-net fish farms onto land, minister says
The B.C. minister in charge of aquaculture tenures for the province is hinting at a sea change in the provincial government's approach to Atlantic salmon farming in Pacific waters.
With provincial tenures for 22 fish farms coming up for renewal in June, the minister said the provincial government's vision for the future includes moving them out of the ocean and into land-based operations, wherever possible.
Provincial officials have launched "government to government" discussions about the future of the 18 fish-farm tenures in the Broughton Archipelago, which are opposed by five bands representing six First Nations with traditional territories in that area.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...losed-containment-donaldson-tenures-1.4566374

Lol they say they can’t do anything because they are regulated by the feds then the next sentence they say they are inchage of the leases.

It’s clear they don’t have to renew the leasese. Im sure the feds would prefer it if the province kills the industry.

And I’m sure the Provence would prefer the feds kill the industry.

I think it would be easier for the Provence to do it. The feds have to worry about blow back on the east coast.

Lol they say they can’t do anything because they are regulated by the feds then the next sentence they say they are inchage of the leases.

It’s clear they don’t have to renew the leasese. Im sure the feds would prefer it if the province kills the industry.

And I’m sure the Provence would prefer the feds kill the industry.

I think it would be easier for the Provence to do it. The feds have to worry about blow back on the east coast.
Totally agree. Same reason there is a moratorium on FFs on the North Coast...

Last edited:
Good take on the PSF study, Riddell says fish farms got to go.

http://www.fis.com/fis/worldnews/wo...=8&id=97194&l=e&country=0&special=&ndb=1&df=0'

“Our study used novel molecular tools to show that PRV-1 was intimately involved in the development of jaundice/anemia in chinook salmon,” said Dr. Kristi Miller-Saunders, Fisheries and Oceans Canada and lead scientist in the SSHI.

“The study also reveals a difference in PRV-1 sensitivity between species that could easily explain why the virus causes inflammation in Atlantic salmon and cell death in chinook salmon,” Riddell stressed.

In Riddell’s view, the study goes far enough to encourage regulators to act on protecting wild salmon.

“It’s extremely difficult to measure mortality rate in wild salmon,” he said. “The idea that we have to demonstrate everything to the last degree in wild salmon is not going to get us to a solution.”

Well that’s pretty conclusive statement by PSF.

“This transition to closed containment will take time but the removal of open net-pen farms along migratory routes of wild Pacific salmon, particularly for those stocks of greatest concern, should occur as soon as possible. During this transition, everything possible should be done to improve the assessment of the risks to wild Pacific salmon, including through the work of the Strategic Salmon Health Initiative that is being done in partnership with PSF, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and Genome BC. “

In Riddell’s view, the study goes far enough to encourage regulators to act on protecting wild salmon.

“It’s extremely difficult to measure mortality rate in wild salmon,” he said. “The idea that we have to demonstrate everything to the last degree in wild salmon is not going to get us to a solution.”

Well said, Dr. Riddell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back