Fish Farms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooke dug its own grave on this, from shoddy maintenance on its facilities allowing the escape, blatant lies on the number of fish escaped, to bizzare PR blaming the collapse on the eclipse. Good riddance to an arrogant operator that showed disdain for the environment and believed because it created a few hundred jobs it would be immune to any repercussions to its actions. We will also get a laboratory to see if this action helps salmon returns in PS.

Piscine reovirus may be the biggest industrial spill in the history of British Columbia.
The virus that the salmon farming can't get rid of,
the law says they can't operate with and
wild salmon may not survive.
There is only so much I can do without your help:

Write Premier John Horgan - premier@gov.bc.ca"Protect wild salmon and respect the rights of First Nations. DO not renew the BC salmon farm tenures that start expiring in June 2018"
The industry says they don't have a disease problem.
What do you say Birdsnest, Shuswap, Dave, Bones and you other Fish Farm guys who have been strangely silent lately.

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/racing_a_virus/

Say about what? If you mean Almo's rant, let's wait and see how the NDP handles this. In the meantime, send her more money, lol.

Science has left the building this fight is now being decided with social media.

Balls in horgans court according to fisheries ministry

Not much to say on it some believe PRV is endimic others don’t.

No need to fight over the same issues nothing new been posted that we did not cover in October and December

Also the admins sent a pretty clear message to pro fish farm supporters though private messages and bans so have at it.

I think it is true that social media has become an indispensable part of how we receive news - but I am not blaming social media for the scrutiny that the open net-cage operations have been under as of lately. That is due to both the actions and inactions of the industry itself - and the fact that it is getting harder and harder to hide the risks and consequences of things like disease transfer, especially in the last couple of years. I know the pro-farm lobby likes to have a boogie(wo)man to rail their troops against - but to be honest - Alex is actually a minor player within the people and the scientists who are legitimately concerned about the impacts from the open net-cage technology. I think the pro-FF lobby likes to try and distract the conversation surrounding these potential and realized impacts by instead attempting to paint the issues as a battle of personalities/teams - rather than being accountable. That's where our governance and regulatory systems need to step in - and the simplest (and likely cheapest) way to change the industry's modus operandi is to simply let the leases expire and not renew them - as Washington State is doing.

Pretty easy question Dave and the other Fish Farm supporters who choose to remain silent...
"The industry says they don't have a disease problem.
What do you say Birdsnest, Shuswap, Dave, Bones and you other Fish Farm guys who have been strangely silent lately."

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/racing_a_virus/

Yes you are one fogged in fool! You have been brainwashed by social media marketing. Don’t feel bad because you are among many others here.
I personally believe my own field observations rather than being sucked into believing all the bs hype you and others support.
I have tried to contact AM to discuss water chemistry and collapse of fresh water ecology but she would not respond. Obviously she has a pre determined agenda and will not accept other information.
It may be your ambition to follow nose tail the marketed science that solely focuses on eliminating net pens and does not accept possible stressorsto salmon stocks but there is no need to taunt others.
I have found and presented a more plausible scientific reason for the demise of our salmon and steelhead runs. I have presented supporting factual reports and videos. My marketing skills and budget apparently can’t compare to AM so it will never be acknowledged.
Maybe some day you California, Terrin or Bigdogeh, or Alexandra Morton will man up to the challenge and prove me wrong!!!
Sorry for the rant but I feel it fair to poke back and am very frustrated.

Don’t let the Provence fool u they can stop these farms.

The federal fishery’s minster already said the Provence can revoke, not renew and not approve more.

Seems to me like the Provence is trying to put the decion back on to the federal government.

This decision is 100% in the Provence court.

The Provence is being political and does not want to risk votes by making a decision.

They don’t want to ban them and then the federal government put out science that says their safe. So their trying to defer this back to the federal government.

Last edited:
Don’t let the Provence fool u they can stop these farms.

This is completely true, and also why it will never happen. While the evidence it not 100% certain (and rarely is anything in science)a all the pieces point to harmful effects of these operations on wild salmon, even if only one of multiple possible vectors for their deleterious influence is true. They are not the only issue facing wild salmon to be sure, but I personally believe they should be eliminated. However, the reality is it has become established as a significant industry, employing a significant number of people and the industry lobbyists are quite powerful. Even if a smoking gun comes out on effects, the governments (Provincial and Federal) do not have the courage to take action and responsibility for the economic consequences of doing so.

The hope is land based operations. They very likely will become viable (and already are) , and eventually will probably replace these net operations, but its also a reality BC may not be part of that revolution. Cheap land and close access to markets will determine where those operations are based, and unfortunately it likely wont be in BC with high land prices and remote locations. The worlds largest land based operation was just announced in Maine. Cheap land, close to Boston, NY and other major US markets. https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/...-land-based-salmon-farms-to-be-built-in-maine . This operation will eventually produce 33,000 tons annually. According to the BC Salmon farmers association website the entire industry in BC produces 75,000 Tons. So the hope to eliminate these farms lies not in government as they are unlikely to act, but technological change coupled with continued exposure of the practices of net pen farming so that consumers, once they have a choice of buying from operations like the Maine one, can choose the more environmentally friendly land based product at a similar cost. I am optimistic market forces and continued painting of net pen farms as environmental pariahs will eventually win the day.

This is completely true, and also why it will never happen. While the evidence it not 100% certain (and rarely is anything in science)a all the pieces point to harmful effects of these operations on wild salmon, even if only one of multiple possible vectors for their deleterious influence is true. They are not the only issue facing wild salmon to be sure, but I personally believe they should be eliminated. However, the reality is it has become established as a significant industry, employing a significant number of people and the industry lobbyists are quite powerful. Even if a smoking gun comes out on effects, the governments (Provincial and Federal) do not have the courage to take action and responsibility for the economic consequences of doing so.

The hope is land based operations. They very likely will become viable (and already are) , and eventually will probably replace these net operations, but its also a reality BC may not be part of that revolution. Cheap land and close access to markets will determine where those operations are based, and unfortunately it likely wont be in BC with high land prices and remote locations. The worlds largest land based operation was just announced in Maine. Cheap land, close to Boston, NY and other major US markets. https://www.seafoodsource.com/news/...-land-based-salmon-farms-to-be-built-in-maine . This operation will eventually produce 33,000 tons annually. According to the BC Salmon farmers association website the entire industry in BC produces 75,000 Tons. So the hope to eliminate these farms lies not in government as they are unlikely to act, but technological change coupled with continued exposure of the practices of net pen farming so that consumers, once they have a choice of buying from operations like the Maine one, can choose the more environmentally friendly land based product at a similar cost. I am optimistic market forces and continued painting of net pen farms as environmental pariahs will eventually win the day.
We will get help from the First Nations.
Previous expert reports, including the Cohen Commission, have suggested one problem is the Department of Fisheries and Oceans dual mandate of fish conservation and promotion of the fish farming industry.

Proboszcz wants to see DFO abandon its promotional efforts and focus solely on conserving B.C.’s iconic salmon. As for the province, he — like Chamberlin — wants to see existing fish farm tenures lapse.

Chamberlin said the B.C. government agreed to work with the First Nations through a “consent based” decision making process on the fish farm issues in the Broughton Archipelago issue in January.

Following that meeting between governments, the First Nations sent a draft framework to guide that decision-making process. That was more than two weeks ago and Chamberlin said he still hasn’t received a response.

The timeline is only getting tighter, he said. There’s just three months before the Broughton Archipelago area fish farms tenures are set to be renewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back