Fish Farm trouble in BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that link. Thank goodness Watershed watch caught this.
I'm not convinced ISAv has been found here, regardless of origin. And seriously, have eastern NA strains of ISAv been found anywhere else in the world, other than possibly the Cowichan River?

But you seem like you have your hand up, and have a story to tell ... let's hear your version.

Molly JT Kibenge, Tokinori Iwamoto, Yingwei Wang, Alexandra Morton, Richard Routledge, and Frederick SB Kibenge. 2016. Discovery of variant infectious salmon anaemia virus (ISAV) of European genotype in British Columbia, Canada. Virology Journal (2016) 13:3

p.5:ISAV sequences detected in British Columbia fish include both ISAV-HPRΔ and ISAV-HPR0 and are of European genotype”.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Molly JT Kibenge, Tokinori Iwamoto, Yingwei Wang, Alexandra Morton, Marcos G Godoy, and Frederick SB Kibenge. 2013. Whole-genome analysis of piscine reovirus (PRV) shows PRV represents a new genus in family Reoviridae and its genome segment S1 sequences group it into two separate sub-genotypes. Virology Journal 2013, 10:230

p.10:Chilean PRV strains had 100% amino acid sequence identity with the Norwegian strain Reovirus sp. Salmo/GP-2010/NOR, whereas the Canadian strains had ≤92.7% amino acid sequence identity with this [Norwegian] PRV strain…”

p.11:Our analysis using BEAST simulation [32] shows the time when Canadian PRV isolates diverged from Norwegian PRV isolates was between 2006 and 2011

so... jeepers! wonder where these diseases came from? hmmm....

Never once have I seen a post from the Fish Farm supporters that Fish Farm Sea Lice and disease DO NOT, HAVE NOT AND WILL NOT KILL WILD SALMON IN THE FUTURE.
Why can't the Fish Farm supporters, just admit Fish Farm Sea Lice and disease have in the past and will in the future kill wild salmon, but you and nobody else know how many.
I assume you agree with this statement because you have never argued the point, therefor I must assume you believe the impact on Wild Salmon is minimal and is offset with the economic value of Fish Farms, or you just don't care about Wild Salmon??
The fact that some other locations that are unencumbered with Fish Farms are experiencing lower returns is totally irrelevant to the topic of "Fish Farms Trouble in B.C."

Can you Fish Farm supporters answer a simple question without deflection?
Do Fish Farm Sea Lice and disease kill Wild Salmon?
No need to know how many Wild Salmon they kill if any....
A simple yes or no, never have and never will answer will do.
You guys are looking like Time Share sales people
When given a question they do not like, they simple ignore it.

hehe, either that or they keep asking the same question over and over again, and it gets answered over and over again...
Really doesn't help their cause when the questions are answered, quite often with peer reviewed science and they keep asking them but ignore the answers.
When some of the FF supporters ask some of these questions that's been answered multiple times but they continue to do it, it sometimes reminds me of something
George Carlin once said and I have to remind myself to heed his advice,

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

George Carlin

you see, it's already working for them... Feels like I've just been been brought down a level or 2...

anyhow,
I thought this was a good article. I think it reflects how many concerned citizens are starting to feel as they become aware of the problems in the industry. Even the Norweigans have admitted the open net pen fish farm industry has problems and are going to self containment it seems in their country. I thought the one comment at the bottom of the article said alot....

comment:
"In May the Norwegian Industrial Council ( a consortium of the major businesses of Norway including StatOil, NorskHydro and Marine Harvest) announced that the entire fish "farm" industry will be moving to self-contained. The reason? With open net feedlots it is too expensive to deal with disease and damage to the environment. In our country, the rules are relaxed enough to make them profitable. Thank the DFO, and welcome to Nigeria North."

https://www.cowichanvalleycitizen.c...237222877&mc_cid=d5312c874a&mc_eid=2fb9de6a13

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...t-pen-salmon-farms-ending-in-norway-1.2185654

Last edited:
hehe, either that or they keep asking the same question over and over again, and it gets answered over and over again...
Really doesn't help their cause when the questions are answered, quite often with peer reviewed science and they keep asking them but ignore the answers.
Ya - funny how the crickets come out when irrefutable evidence is presented, eh? There's also a story that FF boosters would rather ignore and dismiss in the genetics of introduced diseases (above). crickets...

Canada's Governor General, Julie Payette (2017):

"Democracy and society have always gained from learned debate but we have to remain vigilant and we cannot let ourselves fall into complacency and we must be vocal, all the time, everywhere, every single one of us, so we can deconstruct misinformation and don't end up in an echo chamber just listening to what we want to hear," Payette said.

© The Canadian Press, 2017

As the mounting research and evidence documenting the negative environmental impact of net pen fish farming grows their supporters become more selective and deflection in their defense of their industry - not unlike the tobacco, pharmaceutical, big oil/coal, big sugar, industrial agricultural, forestry, banking, the list goes on...

The fact that no FF supporter will take up the challenge to rebut the issues and questions in the article with peer reviewed research links that I have posted several times above (or the dozens of articles that others have posted on this forum) is proof of this. Instead they focus on issues, ideas and questions that are mostly supported by their limited experiences, personal opinions and bits of cherry picked research data, and ignore the growing scientific research and the patterns and trends they are starting to show us.

I predict that they will get more dismissive and deflective and desperate as time goes on, until they are finally forced into a corner by mounting evidence they can no longer squirm away from.

History and current events, time and again, clearly shows that it is only the concerted and sustained action of concerned citizens and dedicated researchers that has brought about needed changes overtime to reduce the harmful actions of corporate industries that put their interest in profits before people and the environment we need to survive.

So I say to all those that challenge net pen FF's to keep up the good work of working to get these fish farms out of the water and onto land were their harmful impacts can be better managed!

Last edited:
Can you Fish Farm supporters answer a simple question without deflection?
Do Fish Farm Sea Lice and disease kill Wild Salmon?
No need to know how many Wild Salmon they kill if any....
A simple yes or no, never have and never will answer will do.
You guys are looking like Time Share sales people
When given a question they do not like, they simple ignore it.
They will not respond but here is some science that might help them understand that Fish Farm Sea Lice are directly and indirectly killing our Wild Salmon. In light of the growing evidence that C. clemensi infection is correlated with components of fitness for wild juvenile salmonids and the fact that this species constitutes 98·3% of the lice observed on juvenile O. nerka, it is worth considering why there is no management plan for this louse species on farmed Oncorhynchus spp. in BC. In contrast, L. salmonis are managed on BC Oncorhynchus spp. farms using an in-feed parasiticide [SLICE (emamectin benzoate); Intervet International B.V.; www.intervet .com; Saksida et al. (2010)]. As mandated by their licence for finfish aquaculture, marine farms perform a SLICE treatment when there is an average of at least three motile L. salmonis on a subset of their domestic fish, but there is no such threshold for C. clemensi. Caligus clemensi infestations of wild juvenile O. nerka are associated with open net-pen salmonid farms along their migration route (Price et al., 2011) and infection prevalence in wild juvenile O. nerka continues to be extremely high (Godwin et al., 2015). There seems no obvious reason for this discrepancy in treatment between the two louse species. Additional parasiticide treatments on farms for C. clemensi outbreaks could increase risk of louse resistance (Denholm et al., 2002; Bravo et al., 2008; Igboeli et al., 2012), but at minimum, a combined threshold should be established in which C. clemensi and L. salmonis are considered together when determining when treatment should occur. Fraser River O. nerka constitute a suite of populations under intense scientific and public scrutiny. After a two-decade decline in productivity, record low adult returns in 2009, and a federal judicial inquiry into the causes of the decline, Fraser River O. nerka briefly showed a modest rebound in productivity (DFO, 2015). Concern remains, however, as returns in 2016 were the lowest in over 100 years (PSC, 2016). Furthermore, while no single cause of the long-term decline in Fraser River O. nerka productivity was identified during the federal inquiry (Cohen, 2012), the decline was correlated with competition with O. gorbuscha and exposure to salmonid farms during early marine migration (Connors et al., 2012). This has led to a call for research on the factors governing juvenile O. nerka survival, particularly in regard to pathogens (Cohen, 2012). As 91% of the 43 fish genetically tested in this study were from the Fraser River and 37% of these were from conservation units with amber (of concern) or red (threatened) statuses (Grant & Pestal, 2012), the results presented here provide insight into a potential pathogen-induced survival consequence for this Oncorhynchus spp. stock complex. Any potential effect of sea lice on juvenile O. nerka is of particular concern given that C. clemensi is a generalist with multiple possible reservoir host populations. By infecting C. pallasii and domestic S. salar, C. clemensi can be maintained in the environment regardless of O. nerka abundance, thus sustaining infection pressure even at low O. nerka densities and creating the apparent competition structure that is most commonly associated with disease imperilment of wildlife (De Castro & Bolker, 2005). The results presented here highlight the need to consider the indirect effects of marine pathogens on host populations in addition to the traditional focus on direct mortality, as this may be vital for understanding wild-fish survival and, ultimately, for conserving at-risk populations.© 2017 The Fisheries Society of the British Isles, Journal of Fish Biology 2017, 91, 41–57 R E D U C E D G ROW T H I N S E A- L O U S E I N F E C T E D O. NERKA 51

Last edited:
More news on Canadian Press and Chek TV live coverage TODAY
Small news and small protest, but non the less keeps the problem in the spotlight.
Still no reply to my question.
"Do Fish Farm Sea Lice and disease kill Wild Salmon? "
surprise surprise...the Fish Farm supporters on this site know very well that that Fish Farm Sea Lice and disease DO KILL WILD SALMON.

Fish farm protesters light sacred fire at B.C. legislature; protect wild salmon
Posted By: The Canadian Press: November 02, 2017In: CP BC
VICTORIA — Protesters opposed to salmon farms on Vancouver Island lit a sacred fire today near the front steps of British Columbia's legislature.

Hereditary Chief Ernest Alfred told about 200 people gathered outside the legislature the crackling fire represents the sounds of his Indigenous ancestors.

The traditional leader has been calling for the removal of several long-term Atlantic salmon fish farms located near Alert Bay, just off northern Vancouver Island.

Chief Willie Moon of Kingcome Inlet told the placard-waving protesters salmon farms have been in his territories for 30 years and he's seen drastic declines in wild salmon stocks.

Protesters occupied salmon farms operated by Marine Harvest Canada on northern Vancouver Island earlier this fall.

Premier John Horgan says the health of B.C.'s wild salmon stocks is one of his government's top priority.

The Canadian Press

The provincial government cares, what bull ****.

Let’s just look at what a great job they did for Steelhead.

And yes the NDP did little to nothing when they were in power and where are they now when the Thompson run is decimated?

They are doing just as well looking after sea run cutthroat, nothing.

More news on Canadian Press and Chek TV live coverage TODAY
Small news and small protest, but non the less keeps the problem in the spotlight.
Still no reply to my question.
"Do Fish Farm Sea Lice and disease kill Wild Salmon? "
surprise surprise...the Fish Farm supporters on this site know very well that that Fish Farm Sea Lice and disease DO KILL WILD SALMON.

Fish farm protesters light sacred fire at B.C. legislature; protect wild salmon
Posted By: The Canadian Press: November 02, 2017In: CP BC
VICTORIA — Protesters opposed to salmon farms on Vancouver Island lit a sacred fire today near the front steps of British Columbia's legislature.

Hereditary Chief Ernest Alfred told about 200 people gathered outside the legislature the crackling fire represents the sounds of his Indigenous ancestors.

The traditional leader has been calling for the removal of several long-term Atlantic salmon fish farms located near Alert Bay, just off northern Vancouver Island.

Chief Willie Moon of Kingcome Inlet told the placard-waving protesters salmon farms have been in his territories for 30 years and he's seen drastic declines in wild salmon stocks.

Protesters occupied salmon farms operated by Marine Harvest Canada on northern Vancouver Island earlier this fall.

Premier John Horgan says the health of B.C.'s wild salmon stocks is one of his government's top priority.

The Canadian Press

By the way, finally someone has stated that they really have no ideal why the salmon are not coming back.

Bet the answer everyone is trying to answer here is exactly the same.

By the way, finally someone has stated that they really have no ideal why the salmon are not coming back.

Bet the answer everyone is trying to answer here is exactly the same.
I think numerous posters have posted numerous times that there are numerous impacts to wild fish stocks - the FF impacts one set of impacts that we can control.

You will NEVER EVER get all ff's out of the ocean on the coast of BC..doesnt matter what evidence you provide.

"IF" this native band is successful and gets them removed in "their broughton territory", just around the corner another native band is willing to have them in "their territory".
And you think any body of government will take that fight on?..NEVER!!
This is a battle that can not and will not be won.
But have at er

Too bad Recreational sport fishers aren't as good at representing their interests publicly. I see by some of the placards, the folks who want to shut down recreational fishing (?) to protect the orcas were represented

You will NEVER EVER get all ff's out of the ocean on the coast of BC..doesnt matter what evidence you provide.

"IF" this native band is successful and gets them removed in "their broughton territory", just around the corner another native band is willing to have them in "their territory".
And you think any body of government will take that fight on?..NEVER!!
This is a battle that can not and will not be won.
But have at er
The Politicians can ignore what is staring them in the face but when the SRKW are down to lets say 50 and us sportfishers kicked off the water along with shutting all the Marinas, Fishing Camps, and all the businesses that go along with it maybe just maybe someone will do the right thing. Hopefully Horgan has the guts to do something before its too late.

Too bad Recreational sport fishers aren't as good at representing their interests publicly. I see by some of the placards, the folks who want to shut down recreational fishing (?) to protect the orcas were represented
Who do you think should get to eat the last salmon first the Orcas or us? If thats all thats left then either we deal with whats killing the Salmon Smolts (Fish Farms) or we move on to something else.

Who do you think should get to eat the last salmon first the Orcas or us? If thats all thats left then either we deal with whats killing the Salmon Smolts (Fish Farms) or we move on to something else.
I'd say the whales have priority, how about you? I would also say that I am not so naive to think that if every fish farm on this coast was to disappear tomorrow, that the salmons problems would all go away, do you? I don't support Fish Farms, nor do I support the "one trick ponies" who totally ignore the affects of over fishing, predation , ranching and stream damage. How about you? Is it a one issue problem in your opinion? Don't let your focus one one problem blind you to all the others!

I'd say the whales have priority, how about you? I would also say that I am not so naive to think that if every fish farm on this coast was to disappear tomorrow, that the salmons problems would all go away, do you? I don't support Fish Farms, nor do I support the "one trick ponies" who totally ignore the affects of over fishing, predation , ranching and stream damage. How about you? Is it a one issue problem in your opinion? Don't let your focus one one problem blind you to all the others!
I agree whales have priority. We won't know to what extent the salmon problems (i.e disapearance of wild fish) would go away until every fish farm on the coast is disappears to a land based industry. As for one trick ponies all the things you mention including climate change and herring populations are likely also factors. Fish Farms are however the biggest threat as they site right on the smolts migratory path killing them with sea lice and disease transfers.

B.C. VIEWS: Myths of our marine environment

MLA Lana Popham a long-time salmon farm protester

Premier John Horgan has tried to calm the storm in the B.C. legislature over salmon farming, personally piloting a lifeboat to rescue floundering Agriculture Minister Lana Popham.

TomFletcher-columnlogo-web.jpg

After Popham went overboard with reckless actions against salmon farms, Horgan created a cosmetic “review” of a disagreement between a federal fish scientist and her provincial counterpart over “conflict of interest” in their work. Popham surfaced briefly to explain that the review is to determine if there should be an investigation, because there’s no investigation now, despite her Inspector Clouseau-like effort to launch one herself.

Popham falsely claimed there was a federal complaintabout data from B.C.’s Animal Health Centre in Abbotsford. This cast doubt on the lab that has handled avian flu and other disease outbreaks of global concern. For this alone, Popham should be removed from the agriculture portfolio.

None of this political comedy-drama means anything to B.C.’s coastal marine environment. But looking deeper into the murky water reveals a few things you should know.

First, Popham has been supporting the U.S.-backed attack on B.C.’s salmon farms since at least 2011. This is the same tireless protest machine that demonizes Canadian pipelines, mines, dams and pretty well everything that resembles industrial development in B.C.

(See more evidence of Popham’s protest activities here and here.)

Demonstrations are often fronted by Stewart Phillip, Grand Chief of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs, who spends many days going from protest to protest. On salmon farm attacks, he is sometimes accompanied by activist-photographer Alexandra Morton, who has lately been promoted by actors Pamela Anderson, Martin Sheen and other misguided millionaires who should instead focus on salmon farms in Washington or ocean-flooding hatcheries in Oregon and Alaska.

Second, the media portrayal of a united front by B.C. Indigenous people against industrial development, and salmon farming in particular, is a carefully staged illusion.

One backer of salmon farming is Dallas Smith, a member of the Tlowitsis Nation, president of the Nanwakolas tribal council on B.C.’s Central Coast and one of the architects of the Great Bear Rainforest agreement. His community hosts three salmon farms in the Broughton Archipelago, one of their few sources of year-round employment, particularly for women.

Smith isn’t impressed by a one-man occupation of a fish farm in his region that has gone on since August. He points out that this farm happens to be one of the few with cell service, so the occupier can provide a stream of social media claims to the Pam Andersons and Martin Sheens of the world.

He’s also unimpressed with one of Popham’s protest pals, George Quocksister Jr.

“He’s claiming to be a hereditary chief out of Campbell River, but in the meantime he’s bouncing around our farms in the Broughton Archipelago, which is nowhere near Campbell River, asserting his authority,” Smith told me.

There is a third thing you should know about all this. Morton is an admirer of the United Fishermen and Allied Workers Union. Horgan’s chief of staff, Geoff Meggs, was editor of the union’s newspaper The Fisherman for 12 years up to the 1990s, as they lost the struggle to keep Richmond’s industrial salmon canning industry alive.

Today’s anti-salmon farm campaign grew out of the U.S.-backed anti-logging campaigns of the 1990s. They don’t talk about successful efforts by B.C. volunteers and Fisheries and Oceans Canada to restore spawning creeks and rivers damaged by industry and housing development.

And they don’t talk about the most obvious threat to wild salmon, particularly the prized sockeye of the North Pacific. It’s an industry long banned by Norway, Ireland, Scotland and Iceland.

That industry is commercial salmon fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back