Fish closure in Port Renfrew has endangered more than 40 per cent of businesses

Hard to imagine that pretty much 100% of Businesses are being affected by this bs closure. Honestly, the closures were politically motivated not conservation based, not statistically based. That statement alone tells most intelligent folks that the Federal Liberals were willing to roll the dice on these closures and they believed it would not cost them the election. Based on Andrew Scheer being a complete no show in BC, I’d say they were right. The Liberals wanted to fight this election on the environment. Save the orca save the salmon protect the environment and every second word is RECONCILIATION. The Conservatives know they can’t win an election based on the environment. I hope that the money promised gets delivered and this is a turning point for our fishery. I have no faith in Government run anything. They have a lousy track record when it comes to fisheries management. I think the plan is to go to a complete hatchery only fishery in the future. With new equipment to clip salmon, more hatchery personnel. If 100% of hatchery Chinook are clipped, then there won’t be any further need for closures because there’ll always be clipped fish available. But it’s going to take time for that transition. I hope it happens. I think it was a gutless Government that shutdown our fishery because they were worried FN would net the Fraser in protest if they didn’t. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but if it is, then our Government blinked, and we all are paying the price for that lack of leadership. I don’t remember hearing an apology from Trudeau or Wilkinson for slamming our businesses and I must have missed the part where they offered financial help to businesses affected by their lack of backbone. It’s sad folks, our love of fishing, our passion, our way of life wandered into the Political Arena. I’m not sure who I’m more angry at, Trudeau for doing what he’s doing or Scheer for doing nothing at all. I think I’m most frustrated by our lack of alternatives. We had to eat this one, and it don’t taste very good. I think our BC Premier should have told the feds thanks but no thanks, the BC fishery is going to be run by BRITISH COLUMBIA. Nobody tells Alberta what to do with Alberta oil. Well it’s time bc took ownership of what’s ours

As much as I don’t like the government thinking the Provence would do better is a stretch.

They ain’t doing so good with caribou

If 100% of hatchery Chinook are clipped, then there won’t be any further need for closures because there’ll always be clipped fish available.

I am all for a MSF, for sure and while I think your post is all very true and I agree, I isolated one scentence that I sure hope will end up being true but I am not confident in it. This because as long as there are early Fraser stocks of concern and no improvement in those stocks and FN continue to exersize what they feel is their constitutional first rights ahead of recreational rights then there will be an issue ( as there is now about retaining hatchery chinook). Add to that FN's pressing issue of release mortality and we will need some extensive and complicated negotiation with FN on this issue or a huge long massive battle in the courts to have this overturned to allow recreational to retain any chinook in the marine areas of the south coast at this time of year - hatchery marked or not.

I am all for a MSF, for sure and while I think your post is all very true and I agree, I isolated one scentence that I sure hope will end up being true but I am not confident in it. This because as long as there are early Fraser stocks of concern and no improvement in those stocks and FN continue to exersize what they feel is their constitutional first rights ahead of recreational rights then there will be an issue ( as there is now about retaining hatchery chinook). Add to that FN's pressing issue of release mortality and we will need some extensive and complicated negotiation with FN on this issue or a huge long massive battle in the courts to have this overturned to allow recreational to retain any chinook in the marine areas of the south coast at this time of year - hatchery marked or not.
FN constitutional rights cannot apply to marked hatchery fish as those are not part of any pre existing fish that they would have had any access to as they did not exist.

This is just the first year of this, wait until the 4th or 5th, many businesses will be non existent by then. I’m sure many are just holding on by a string and some savings but it will run out. What’s this going to do to the real estate when people start pulling out. When that starts happening your local markets dive it’s not going to be a good scene. Soon after it’s government intervention and more dept laid on the nation and the tax payer on and on we go.

FN constitutional rights cannot apply to marked hatchery fish as those are not part of any pre existing fish that they would have had any access to as they did not exist.

I agree fully with you on FN rights to hatchery fish but tell that to FN and Wilkinson .

Sounds like you haven't figured out yet why we don't have retention on hatchery fish this year. The answer is right there in my last post. A change in fisheries minister and government to one that stands up to recreatiional rights may help but I am not holding my breath.

I agree fully with you on FN rights to hatchery fish but tell that to FN and Wilkinson .

Sounds like you haven't figured out yet why we don't have retention on hatchery fish this year. The answer is right there in my last post. A change in fisheries minister and government to one that stands up to recreatiional rights may help but I am not holding my breath.
I have figured it out and as you probably know those clipped hatchery fish are not going up the Fraser so First Nations can fish for them at the same time we do and there should be no legal issue for a court case.

Back