Fish Bonker

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by samba123, Dec 24, 2019.

1. trophywife

trophywife Crew Member

ya kids t ball bat is my friend. ping ping ping

2. tubber

tubber Well-Known Member

I have a length of lead filled copper pipe (too narrow-leaves a dent), the handle end of an old ash baseball bat (too light), and a kid's aluminum bat (too long).
    They all work.
    But then I saw the end of this movie the other day.....? Spoiler alert.

Stizzla likes this.
  3. papalorge

papalorge Member

My dad gave me one of these a few years ago, I thought I had the only one lol. Never used it but feels like it would put a moose to sleep.

4. wolf

wolf Well-Known Member

NOPE I made those on my own Kelly still have the original one from 2001 LOL

5. Fixit

Fixit Well-Known Member

This is what I do with a hickory sledge hammer handle. For a grip I do 100 half hitches over the handle

6. Trophy21

Trophy21 Crew Member

Are you guys bonking fish or sea lions?

Rain City, John Ingram and Corey_lax like this.
  7. Corey_lax

Corey_lax Well-Known Member

Haha yeah my 16” +/- long piece of hickory lacrosse stick works fine or I’ll use the dumb side of the gaff. I don’t really see a need for the lead fill

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  8. halimark

halimark Well-Known Member

When I say lead filled I mean maybe 3-4 oz of lead. No it is not a whale/seal club??? Weight just gives the end the little extra bonking/striking power. Think I used a 3/4 spade bit and drilled in maybe 2". Sorry if guys minds thought lbs of lead.

HM

9. cracked_ribs

cracked_ribs Well-Known Member

What's this "too much lead" nonsense? Use more lead, not less. Just take a 20lb cannonball and raise it over your head with two hands, give a max volume Schwarzenegger AAAAUUUUAAAAAUUUUAAAAUUUUGGHHH and crush the thing like Conan the Barbarian

10. Fixit

Fixit Well-Known Member

a tip for getting the lead to stay put, after boring your 3/4" hole, put a stainless screw in half way. the molten lead will flow around the screw head while the threads are secure in the wood. as the molten lead burns the wood when you pour it in, it will loosen up and come flying out when you whack something without the screw.
    I found this extra weight helped subdue halibut without repeated skull bashings fullsizeoutput_11fc.jpeg fullsizeoutput_11fd.jpeg

11. Trophy21

Trophy21 Crew Member

75C10E64-2C81-437A-9B83-B8E07A243BDE.jpeg

markfarley and SteelyDan like this.
  12. Fixit

Fixit Well-Known Member