First Sooke trip of the Year Sunday...for Springs

I

islandphile

Hi All...going out to Sooke on Sunday, probably Becher as it's been the hottest for Springs from what I heard.... so stoked...seems to just get worse every year as the anticipation has me totally reeeled in, must be becoming a fanatic or somethin'

Remember, "When the Fish aren't Biting...the Fish aren't Biting!!"

Had a pretty good day out there... couple of springs 7 lb feeder & 15 lb spawner.

Caught at 75 ft on the downrigger at Aldridge on the flood w/ glow green scale teaser, 6 inch anchovy, 6 ft leader and chatreuse & glow e-chip flasher.

We also had a bigger one on and buddy didn't undo the drag fast enough so when the fish turned and swam towards the boat he couln't keep up and wind fast enough 'cause the drag was too tight and it was a goner... ran like a bugger on a long run to the bottom, then turned and spat 'er out...but for a first day it was a good time fer sure

Hey phile, was that 15lb. a dark fish or what.. Would sure love to know where it was spawin in Apr.-dirty

Lol...Hey it was a female I was running out the door at the time so I guess it didn't come out "technically correct"...but you get the gist of it.

Ran into a guy at the dock when we got there who'd gone out around 5 am and he'd caught a couple o' nice ones with plugs... decent water clarity this time of year I guess although I've never caught anything on plugs over there....you?

Great come back phile, Plugs are the key to general success.. Rolling the bait is the key. Be it chove or cutty , the only thing on their minds is gettin fatt.. It is a great time to fish the straight right now, there are alot of Fraser fish in the area. Lookin towards the northern tow over the next few months... Nothin, and I mean nothin beats the charlitto's durin the summer months.-dirty

He was using a Tomic plug 5 inch (whitish).... but yea i agree the roll is critical on cuts and choves

Back