First family boat

Natepolean

I'm considering getting a first family boat in the 18' range mainly for fishing/crabbing around the vancouver area. I've researched into the pros and cons of fiberglass vs aluminum boat. Seems like an used fiberglass boat can be had for a lot less than aluminum. Just wondering exactly what kind of extra maintenance we're talking about for something like Double eagle 175 that's going to be trailered? and can you practically beach a fiberglass boat for shore access?

Yes, aluminum boats sell for premium prices. We have a similar sized fiberglass boat that we have fished, crabbed and prawned out of for 16 years. It's ideal for us. Other than engine and trailer maintenance, the boat itself needs very little maintenance. Just a scrub now and again if you are not looking for a mirror finish on the fiberglass. Cover it for the winter. It's been on many beaches with no ill effects.

See if you can find a 180 boston whaler outrage or a 170 super sport. Safe and stable, and a keel guard as noted above will let you beach no problem.

you may find that beaching a boat in the ocean isn't as common or practical as you think. the huge tides, currents and primarily rocky shorelines make beaching a rather rare activity in my experience. can it be done? yes of course, but my guess is that it wouldn't be your go to activity and probably shouldn't be a huge factor in choosing your boat. many don't consider or realize that the tide may make it an unexpected overnight camp out. beaching has to be done in the right conditions and the boat has to be closely monitored so glass vs aluminum isn't critical. imho

Instead of beaching you can use a clothesline type anchor system to keep the boat just off the beach, cheap to make and easy to use.

and can you practically beach a fiberglass boat for shore access?
Depends on the beach & on the boat. i had a 14' Livingston twin hull that beached well as the boat didn't tip when you exit/enter. I usually jumped onto dry land. S/S runners can be riveted to the twin keels. Most that beach a lot use AL hulls. I found that on the Livingston a yearly touch-up of the gelcoat properly fixed all the dings.

Fiberglass doesn't do rocks & rocky beaches as well as aluminum. But as other posters have already pointed-out - there are other options...

Thanks for the input. I heard good things about Malibu Tyee and Double Eagle. How does Campion explorer 542 compare to those?

DE 185 is nice, but I'm leaning towards the Campion simply because it has a smaller cuddy and more room for fishing. We'll use it mainly for fishing and rarely overnight trips.

Campion 542 is a great all around boat for fresh and saltwater use. The only thing i don't like is the cutty door is super narrow and hard to get threw and back again.. Ok for kids or maybe the wife ? Maybe the newer ones have bigger door opening now ?

I bought a 2004 Malibu 182 a couple months ago as a family boat and I’ve been loving it. At first I was worried that there was too much cuddy and not enough deck space for fishing but my wife wanted that for a more kid friendly and boating experience and as much as I hate to say it... she was right. We get our way more as a family which means way more time on the water for me.

I think there might be one for sale in Vic right now that looks like it’s in good shape

I bought a 2004 Malibu 182 a couple months ago as a family boat and I’ve been loving it. At first I was worried that there was too much cuddy and not enough deck space for fishing but my wife wanted that for a more kid friendly and boating experience and as much as I hate to say it... she was right. We get our way more as a family which means way more time on the water for me.
I think there might be one for sale in Vic right now that looks like it’s in good shape

Yes, i agree. More cuddy would be useful to take the family on some short overnight boating trips. Anyway, I'd be happy with any of the 18' double eagle, malibu or campion in good condition. I assume my toyota 4runner rated at 5000lbs towing should be ok with them?

Same. Most kid friendly boat I have owned.

Yes, i agree. More cuddy would be useful to take the family on some short overnight boating trips. Anyway, I'd be happy with any of the 18' double eagle, malibu or campion in good condition. I assume my toyota 4runner rated at 5000lbs towing should be ok with them?

Not sure which generation of 4runner you have but my wife's 2016 limited can pull a rig like that no problem at all with it's full frame and its wired up ready to go. I would go with brakes in the trailer ideally still and make damn sure the trailer bearings, tires and brakes are in top form. Nothing worse than staring at a destroyed trailer bearing at side of the road with the family.

Back