Finding the best prop for 225 Yamaha 4 stroke

The Saltwater II series SDS is a nice smooth prop shifts very nice with the give in the hub, maybe a 4 blade will make a difference but I wouldn't be looking for a big difference have swapped props around and differences were't drastic marginal at best. Looked up your boat and it seems like 200's are pretty common and 2 strokes which makes them a lighter motor. It appears you have a 8'3" beam so added weight may be causing the falling off plan. WHat year is the motor? I know the pre 4.2liter series were heavier than the new gens by a fair amount. Even the 4.2 would be a fair amount heavier hanging off the back than the 2 stroke 200's I would assume. Maybe a tough battle to win, on the slow plane front. Be nice cruising along at a nice clip. A friend of mine has a 19 footer had a two stroke smaller motor and he got a bit more hp in a 4 stroke and is complaining that he has to be going faster to maintain a plane now but loves the performance overall.

Bigger tabs would help I'm sure as an option, could you use your current tab rams and add wider tabs? Could be a cost effective way to do it, guess you would need to make sure rams can handle the added pressure. Just a thought

Last edited:
Back