FINALLY GOT OUT ON THE RIVER

Sharphooks

After weeks of high water, holiday obligations and baby sitting a residential construction project, I'd just about given up on getting a piece of the hatchery steelhead fishery on my local waters.

I finally drafted up an escape clause: My religion requires me to attend church at least once a month so I threw the gear in the camper and headed out to the cathedral.

I thought I was too late, water was too low, moon was in the wrong phase, and all the other stuff we agonize over , the stuff that ultimately keeps us at a desk instead of out on the water where we absolutely know we've got to be.... wow, it sure does wonders for the soul!IMG_20190115_114815.jpg IMG_20190115_114827.jpg IMG_20190114_151541.jpg IMG_0545.JPGIMG_0549.JPG

After weeks of high water, holiday obligations and baby sitting a residential construction project, I'd just about given up on getting a piece of the hatchery steelhead fishery on my local waters.

I finally drafted up an escape clause: My religion requires me to attend church at least once a month so I threw the gear in the camper and headed out to the cathedral.

I thought I was too late, water was too low, moon was in the wrong phase, and all the other stuff we agonize over , the stuff that ultimately keeps us at a desk instead of out on the water where we absolutely know we've got to be.... wow, it sure does wonders for the soul!

hmmm....sounds Like a great day
wild Steelies...what part of the province is that....?

wild Steelies...

what part of the province is that...?

Hatchery techs did not clip their fish two years in a row due to fears of potential infection from low, warm water at time of smolt release. If you saw the dorsal fins, you'd know right away that they spent their first year in a pen...

Action: Changes the definition of hatchery steelhead to include steelhead with a dorsal fin height of less than 2 1/8 inches or those with a clipped adipose or ventral fin.

Effective date: Nov. 10, 2018, through March 8, 2019.

Reason for action: Returning hatchery steelhead are typically identified by a clipped adipose or ventral fin and a healed scar at the location of the fin. However, the hatchery steelhead smolts released in the spring of 2016 and in spring of 2017 were not fin-clipped because of warm river temperatures and consequent fish health concerns. These fish will be returning in the coming winter steelhead season. Dorsal fin heights of hatchery steelhead are shorter than comparably sized wild steelhead. The standard of 2 1/8 inches has been used elsewhere to identify unclipped hatchery steelhead.

Further Information: Hatchery steelhead are released as yearlings, and return after 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 years at sea as 3-year-old and 4-year-old fish. Identifying these fish by the height of the dorsal fin will allow the harvest of most returning hatchery steelhead from the 2016 and 2017 releases.

UNQUOTE

Last edited:
Great pics Sharphooks thanks for sharing!

wild Steelies...

what part of the province is that...?
He is not fishing in BC. He is in the states. And those are hatchery raised Steelhead. Obviously he would like to keep his location private to keep pressure off the area his is fishing. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I love seeing pics of all fish and especially beautiful scenery pics like this too an sharing time out doors with his pooch too.

The adipose fins of hatchery raised steelies will almost always be noticeably shorter than a wild one when left unclipped because of warm water/health reasons . Hatcheries here in BC have also in the past have experimented with clipping higher to try to see if scar healing will improve especially with warmer water conditions etc..

privacy wasn't up for debate. as most
mature members know and posting
pics assuming members know who
what and where is considered a troll.
but your good now...

nice outing

Thanks for the comments, Gents.

Last year I got multiple trips in to this same river with perfect water conditions and got into 5 to 6 fish each day I fished. It was nuts. The first two trips I saw the adipose on all the fish and turned them all loose. I told a hatchery tech I'd never seen so many wild fish for that time of the year (November, early December)

What's going on, I asked. Good ocean conditions?

Dude, those were ALL hatchery fish you caught, trust me. He then explained why they didn't clip due to fears of infection.

I eat piles of fish and though it felt good to release all those fish, I felt like a dunce for not keeping up to date on the Regs. I took another trip out there over New Years and got into a few more

I found this picture from last year--- not to beat a dead horse but you can see what the dorsal fin looks like on a pen-reared fish....it's called the pecking order.....IMG_20180104_132020.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for that, Hyde-N-S....

And BTW, I don't normally promote or bluster about technique because I know everyone has their own approach and I know that steelhead are equal opportunity employers and there are lots of different ways to catch them, but this trip confirmed a suspicion I've had for a couple of years about a piece of gear that a steelhead fishermen might strongly want to consider having in his tackle box when fishing low, clear water....

I speak of a No. 6 Gamakatsu Octopus hook.......

They're small and unobtrusive, yes, but more to the point, if you hang one up on a rock or a branch you can apply moderate pressure on the mainline (by wrapping it around your arm and walking backwards against the snag) and the No. 6's will straighten out , or at least bend enough to pop free. At which point, you just take your needle nose pliers, bend them back to proper shape, and cast back into the river and continue fishing...

This little quirk comes in handy....it turns steelhead fishing into a really enjoyable exercise because you never (or seldom) have to tie a new rig....you just pull the bent hook free, bend it back into shape, then resume fishing....with zero worries that the re-bent hook will cost you a fish (as long as the hook is still sticky SHARP)

This week, I fished all day Monday, dawn to dark, and all day Tuesday, dawn to dark. I stumbled into a deep canyon both days, fished major rock gardens, made Kamikaze casts into piles of trees. And although I marched into the canyon with over a dozen pre-tied leaders, for two solid days of fishing, 4 fish to the beach, I used ONE hook and ONE leader....

Anyone who steelhead fishes and knows the drill of snagging up, will say: Really???

I first tried this up in Alaska where each hole has 10 - 50 fish---C&R all day with double digit hook ups but the fish hide in the trees. Same report: Snag on wood, Hook straightens out, get the hook back, bend it back to shape, cast out, hook a fish and put it on the beach....

The other part I should mention: I'm using 12 lb Seaguar Fluoro mainline and 12 lb Seaguar leader. There's no swivel used----I'm using a blood knot to tie the leader to the mainline and for weight, I'm using one or two split-shot (this low clear water, remember?) And the No. 6 Gammy. I have also used 12 lb Seaguar and 8 lb Maxima Chameleon leader and that was strong enough to bend the hook as well...

Very nice fishing for 2 days, same hook, same set up, and never had to re-tie but still managed to put fish on the beach when the magic moment came ....

Thought I'd mention that part of the trip...

IMG_0555.JPG

Last edited:
Sharphooks, thanks for sharing your tip. I use the same principal of hooks soft enough to bend when fishing bottom fish in the ocean with guests. It takes all the negative drama out of snagging bottom by simply straightening the hook. Saves me a lot of money too.

I have hard core fished and guided steelhead for over 30 years so have some bench mark experiences. One time back in the days when steelhead were not, "the fish of a thousand casts", but "the fish every twenty or less casts", I personally released over 35 head on one hook. Many times I was snagged but my consistently retied 10lb maxima ultragreen kept bending the #1 gamikatsu rather than parting. The tip of that hook had been sharpened so many times there was not much left. I just kept bending and crushing it back into a hook shape. I eventually lost it to an underwater tree limb that my weight got wrapped on. If I could have swam to it I probably would have but the water was too fast and deep. It was one of the biggest tackle losses of the era for me. lol!
There is a blue fox spinner hanging on the wall at my floathouse. A friend and I were on a trip up the central coast a few years back. We both had our best day ever in a stream for coho and he was eighty something! I won't spill numbers but it was five hours of reeling in fish. In the afternoon it got to the point where we chose not to cast because then you would have to reel in another 12lb chromer. We fished four more streams that trip with many more fish. At the end we had realized that he still had the same spinner after probably fifty coho and twenty snags! WTF!! That lure got placed on the wall of fame at my floathouse right beside the last gold 35 hotshot that is still in the package from 1990. Some lures are now just too precious to be used and risk a fish biting them off the line!!!
Anyways, thanks for sharing your epic stories!! I like to see there is still people out there with the passion to fish steelhead like you. Although it can be a bit of a solitary sport for some I think it is still best shared like you have.
Cheers

Very nice. Thanks for sharing

Back