Final amended version of the Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by cohochinook, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:58 AM.

1. Derby

Derby Crew Member

2. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

The SARA team works independently of DFO and the goverment of canada cabinet. Steelhead has critical habitat identified and it means F all. The designation of the areas does give them added management measures tools so in theory in the future the could close it all down.

Given the fact that the whales spend most of the summer fishing season nowhere near these waters management measure around fishing in these areas would be pointless also they whales are suppose to be in JDF to Victoria most of the summer.

What I would be more worried about is what measures will be around Fraser chinook and also the cuts to chinook from the PST. From what I read somewhere most of the cut from the pst is comming from outside fisheries..

upload_2018-12-5_14-44-19.png

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 2:44 PM
  3. fogged in

fogged in Well-Known Member

4. profisher

profisher Well-Known Member

Casper, there are just things you can't discuss while talks are ongoing. No different as a board member in a couple of the societies I sit on. The last thing you want to do is announce something prematurely and have it go sideways and look like idiots. I push to have announcements the second we can but respect the wishes of those involved and wait for the word that it can now go public.

bigdogg1, searun and fogged in like this.
  5. The Jackel

The Jackel Well-Known Member

I have heard from a very reliable source, we get to fish the surf line!!!! Which really doeasn't make sence since the majority of the so called sightings on the west coast where on the shore :(

Whitebuck likes this.
  6. searun

searun Well-Known Member

Lots of speculation which is not helpful. We anticipated all along that this area would be designated as CH. That decision was not a big surprise. The main issue has always been engaging the Minister and DFO on the larger issue of Management Measures. The point of the Media event today was to start to engage the public narrative and move people toward understanding the economic impacts and values the rec fishery represents. We also wanted to make the point that the prior approach to management measures (fin fish closures across broad areas) was not an effective protection measure and inflicts undue economic harm...and that there are better ways.

The way forward is to work with DFO and the Minister to develop robust management measures that achieve a balance between protecting whales, addressing the threat pillars impacting them and finding responsible measures that allow fisheries to continue in harmony with whales. That is for all marine users..but it also means status quo isn't a realistic outcome. There will be change.

I would rather be proactive and come to the table with viable solutions, rather than waiting around for DFO to impose something. We need to continue to work hard to establish the widest possible base of support within the stakeholder and science communities to take forward win/win solutions.

7. onefish

onefish Active Member

I trolled out on the bank for 25 years before getting kicked out by the commercial sporties. In that time I never saw a killer whale on the bank.
    Kind of amusing that the commercial sporties are getting kicked out by whales that may or may not be that far off shore.

8. ryanb

ryanb Active Member

Like what?

casper5280 and big rock like this.
  9. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

10. fishin solo

fishin solo Well-Known Member

I’m surprised with all the talk on this forum how people wanna organize etc etc and do something about all this bullshit but the go fund me page isn’t even at 10k with a goal of 50k. Over 6000 sfbc members on here plus all the lurkers you would think guys would donate at least $10. That’s a drop in the bucket and not gonna make or break anybody. Guess the saying of money talks and shit walks is pretty true. Just my opinion no offence intended.

wildmanyeah likes this.
  11. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

I think more would contribute if the game plan was clearly shown.
    people are hesitant when they don't know exactly what their donation is used for.

casper5280 likes this.
  12. saltydawg

saltydawg Well-Known Member

Trailering the boat to Campbell River is looking better and better

13. SpringVelocity

SpringVelocity Well-Known Member

I may disagree with you on some things but that is very true statement.

Derby likes this.
  14. Derby

Derby Crew Member

read profisher post... this is just like playing poker......