Final amended version of the Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

cohochinook

Just got this emailed to me from DFO:

This email is to inform you that Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the Parks Canada Agency have posted the final amended version of the Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales (Orcinus orca) in Canada on the Species at Risk (SAR) Public Registry. These populations are found in the Pacific Ocean.

The amendment to this Recovery Strategy includes identification of two additional areas as critical habitat and provides additional clarification of the functions, features, and attributes for all critical habitat identified for Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the Parks Canada Agency are committed to the protection and recovery of species at risk in Canada. We look forward to continuing to work together with you to protect species at risk and the critical habitat of those species.

The document is now available on the SAR Public Registry.

Yours sincerely,

Pacific Region Species at Risk Program

Fisheries and Oceans Canada

200-401 Burrard Street

Vancouver, BC V6C 3S4

SARA.XPAC@dfo-mpo.gc.ca / 604-666-7907

Good old Trudeau gov looking after everything else before Canadian citizens once again. Zero balanced approach way to go, starting to think the people of France have the right idea in delivering their message that enough is enough. Between carbon tax, over the top industry regulations, critcal habitat closures with next to no supporting facts the Feds are setting themselves up for a **** show if they keep pushing the public around that fund their a**es. As for Ukee we are still okay fishing wise as it's a quick boat ride and were outside the boundary but I feel for all you anglers Bamfield south what a BS deal.

Yes if you follow the first post link and scroll down the 90 plus pages you will see the map. It appears to run from Florencia Bay point ( Quisitis Point ) almost straight out towards the south side of Hyson bank just clipping the edge of it to the continental shelf then runs all the way down to Swiftsure and continuing down south tight to the shoreline all the way down around Victoria and up the inside abit. Barkley Sound will remain open Amphitrite to Beal will be the boundary. There are other areas way up north and on the inside of the northern part of the island.

It doesn't mean those areas will necessarily be closed for fishing, as not all of the other areas are closed at all times. I would guess the sportfishing representatives are making the sportfishing position case that alternative methods like immediately leaving those area when whales are present be implemented. I have a tough time believing they would close down the Langara to Rose spit area to salmon fishing as it contains some of the most most expensive lodges on the coast, with owners with deep pockets and connections to government. Hopefully the WCVI area would also not see blanket closures.

Reactions: BCI
"In 2018, the recovery strategy was amended again to include identification of additional critical habitat for these populations and to provide minor updates to background and species information. A 30-day online external review on the draft amended recovery strategy was held June 12 – July 11, 2018. The external review was targeted for those potentially affected to provide feedback on the draft amended recovery strategy prior to public consultation. Numerous comments were received on the draft amended recovery strategy. 670 comments were submitted via an online feedback form on the consultation webpage set up by DFO’s Regional SARA Program and 22 letters were received by email. Feedback was received from numerous groups and organizations inclusive of Wildlife Management Boards, Indigenous groups, the province of British Columbia, local government, commercial and recreational fishers, ecotourism operators, non-governmental organizations, other government agencies, and private citizens.

Additional Indigenous, stakeholder, and public input was sought through the publication of the proposed document on the Species at Risk Public Registry for a 60-day national online public comment period from September 4 to November 3, 2018. During this 60-day period, meetings with Indigenous groups and Wildlife Management Boards were held as requested, as well as two webinars (one for Indigenous participants and one for members of the public), and two community engagement sessions. Input was received from a wide variety of groups, individuals, and organizations, including Wildlife Management Boards, Indigenous groups, stakeholders, non-governmental organizations, and local government. In total, 162 individual comments were received, as well as 38 letters, two petitions and one form letter campaign. All comments received during the external review and public comment period were considered and resulted in minor changes to the document."

2 thoughts:

1. 670 comments and 22 letters seem like low numbers to me?
2. I am curious about the minor changes because I really do not see much difference between the Draft version and this version.

Note, the people on this from the Green Groups and the Whale watchers groups.

Appendix B. Recovery team members
The following individuals composed the Recovery Team for the development of the 2008 recovery strategy.
Marilyn Joyce
Lance Barrett-Lennard
David Bain
Ken Balcomb Jim Borrowman John Durban
Graeme Ellis John Ford Christine Garrett Anna Hall
Steve Jeffries
Linda Jones
Brent Norberg Peter Olesiuk
Rich Osborne Rob Paynter Brian Reader Peter Ross
Paul Spong Andrew Trites
Scott Wallace
Co-Chair: Resident Killer Whale Recovery Team
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Fisheries Management Branch Pacific Region, 200-401 Burrard Street, Vancouver, B.C., V6C 3S4, phone: 604-666-9965, email: joycema@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Vancouver Aquarium Marine Service Center Stanley Park, Vancouver, BC V6B 3X8, phone: 604-659-3428, email: Lance.Barrett-Lennard@vanaqua.org
Friday Harbor Laboratories, University of Washington, WA
Centre for Whale Research, WA
North Island Whale Watching Community, BC
National Marine Fisheries Service, Alaska Fisheries Science Centre, National Marine Mammal Laboratory, WA
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Science Branch, Conservation Biology Section, BC
Environment and Climate Change Canada, Environmental Protection Branch, Commercial Chemicals Division , BC
Whale Watch Operators Association North West, BC
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Marine Mammal Investigations, WA
National Marine Fisheries Service, Northwest Fisheries Science Centre, National Marine Mammal Laboratory, WA
National Marine Fisheries Service, Protected Resources Division, WA
The Whale Museum, WA
Ministry of Sustainable Resource Management, BC
Western Canada Service Centre, Parks Canada Agency, BC
Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Marine Environmental Quality Section, BC
Orcalab, Hanson Island, BC
Marine Mammal Research Unit, Fisheries Centre, University of British Columbia, BC
(Alternate) Marine Conservation Caucus, Raincoast Conservation Society Sierra Club of Canada, B.C. Chapter, BC
Recovery Strategy for Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales 2018
Gary Wiles
Rob Williams Brian Riddell
Resource Personnel:
Paul Cottrell Carole Eros Annely Greene
Kathy Heise Lara Sloan
(Alternate) Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Marine Mammal Investigations, WA
Marine Conservation Caucus, Raincoast Conservation Society, BC
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Science Branch, Salmon and Freshwater Ecosystems, BC
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, A/SARA First Nations Coordinator, Treaty & Aboriginal Policy Branch, BC
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Species at Risk Recovery Planning Coordinator, Resource Management Pacific Region, BC
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Marine Mammal Program Manager, Resource Management Pacific Region, BC
Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, BC
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Communications Officer, Fisheries Management Pacific Region, BCI

Whale watching has representation on the team, as do the ENGOs. Forgive me if I we do have representation on that list and I just don't see it, but the only name I recognize is Brian Riddell. I'm not sure he is considered representation for sport fishing as much as he is for wild salmon, but again, I could be wrong on that.

Note, the people on this from the Green Groups and the Whale watchers groups.

Appendix B. Recovery team members
The following individuals composed the Recovery Team for the development of the 2008 recovery strategy.
Marilyn Joyce
Lance Barrett-Lennard
David Bain
Ken Balcomb Jim Borrowman John Durban
Graeme Ellis John Ford Christine Garrett Anna Hall
Steve Jeffries
Linda Jones
Brent Norberg Peter Olesiuk
Rich Osborne Rob Paynter Brian Reader Peter Ross
Paul Spong Andrew Trites
Scott Wallace
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Fisheries Management Branch Pacific Region, 200-401 Burrard Street, Vancouver, B.C., V6C 3S4, phone: 604-666-9965, email: joycema@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
Vancouver Aquarium Marine Service Center Stanley Park, Vancouver, BC V6B 3X8, phone: 604-659-3428, email: Lance.Barrett-Lennard@vanaqua.org
Friday Harbor Laboratories, University of Washington, WA
Centre for Whale Research, WA
North Island Whale Watching Community, BC
National Marine Fisheries Service, Alaska Fisheries Science Centre, National Marine Mammal Laboratory, WA
Environment and Climate Change Canada, Environmental Protection Branch, Commercial Chemicals Division , BC
Whale Watch Operators Association North West, BC
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Marine Mammal Investigations, WA
National Marine Fisheries Service, Northwest Fisheries Science Centre, National Marine Mammal Laboratory, WA
National Marine Fisheries Service, Protected Resources Division, WA
The Whale Museum, WA
Ministry of Sustainable Resource Management, BC
Western Canada Service Centre, Parks Canada Agency, BC
Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Marine Environmental Quality Section, BC
Orcalab, Hanson Island, BC
Marine Mammal Research Unit, Fisheries Centre, University of British Columbia, BC
(Alternate) Marine Conservation Caucus, Raincoast Conservation Society Sierra Club of Canada, B.C. Chapter, BC
Recovery Strategy for Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales 2018
Gary Wiles
Rob Williams Brian Riddell
Resource Personnel:
Paul Cottrell Carole Eros Annely Greene
Kathy Heise Lara Sloan
(Alternate) Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Marine Mammal Investigations, WA
Marine Conservation Caucus, Raincoast Conservation Society, BC
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Science Branch, Salmon and Freshwater Ecosystems, BC
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, A/SARA First Nations Coordinator, Treaty & Aboriginal Policy Branch, BC
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Species at Risk Recovery Planning Coordinator, Resource Management Pacific Region, BC
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Marine Mammal Program Manager, Resource Management Pacific Region, BC
Department of Zoology, University of British Columbia, BC
Fisheries & Oceans Canada, Communications Officer, Fisheries Management Pacific Region, BCI

"In 2018, the recovery strategy was amended again to include identification of additional critical habitat for these populations and to provide minor updates to background and species information. A 30-day online external review on the draft amended recovery strategy was held June 12 – July 11, 2018. The external review was targeted for those potentially affected to provide feedback on the draft amended recovery strategy prior to public consultation. Numerous comments were received on the draft amended recovery strategy. 670 comments were submitted via an online feedback form on the consultation webpage set up by DFO’s Regional SARA Program and 22 letters were received by email. Feedback was received from numerous groups and organizations inclusive of Wildlife Management Boards, Indigenous groups, the province of British Columbia, local government, commercial and recreational fishers, ecotourism operators, non-governmental organizations, other government agencies, and private citizens.

Additional Indigenous, stakeholder, and public input was sought through the publication of the proposed document on the Species at Risk Public Registry for a 60-day national online public comment period from September 4 to November 3, 2018. During this 60-day period, meetings with Indigenous groups and Wildlife Management Boards were held as requested, as well as two webinars (one for Indigenous participants and one for members of the public), and two community engagement sessions. Input was received from a wide variety of groups, individuals, and organizations, including Wildlife Management Boards, Indigenous groups, stakeholders, non-governmental organizations, and local government. In total, 162 individual comments were received, as well as 38 letters, two petitions and one form letter campaign. All comments received during the external review and public comment period were considered and resulted in minor changes to the document."

2 thoughts:

1. 670 comments and 22 letters seem like low numbers to me?
2. I am curious about the minor changes because I really do not see much difference between the Draft version and this version.
This is just a bunch of lip service...... Nothing new with there typical ******** consultations it’s just so they can say they were open to feedback..... again what a ******* joke and waste of tax payers $$$!

I'm not surprised by this announcement and already expect this out come.. that being said there is lots of stuff going on in the back ground

I'm not surprised by this announcement and already expect this out come.. that being said there is lots of stuff going on in the back ground

Do you know, or does anyone know, if we (the rec fishing group) have any direct representation on the Recovery Team?

..Just because its deemed critical habitat doesn't mean its closed folks...

It just makes it easier to shut right ?
also the critical habitat area stretches from Bamfield south to Victoria and north to Sidney
yet Georgia straight is open ?

well if you think this is over..its not :( look to south of you on the inside waters & if i was a betting man ..more to come this spring...:(

Don’t mean to be a wise butt, but why do I always hear that there is a lot going on in the back gound. What’s all the double top secret crap going on. Why aren’t we kept in the loop. Then people ***** that no one steps up to help.

Back