FILETTING----SALMON

I have seen some very good instructions on this at Salmon University. I think I can say that?
I guess Kelly will let me know.[:I]

Salmon U is a good resource. HOWEVER, if you want even LESS of the bones, I fillet 'em like a rockfish, topside down, AROUND the ribs (Leaving them attached to the fish and the guts in). THen, I cut the pin-bone strips out and chuck 'em. You should then have a boneless piece of meat, there is a little more wastage, but what you don't eat, your crab traps will use.

I love salmon, and love not EVER hitting a bone even more, and when doing it the usual salmon way, I allways wind up with one or two chunks of bone in there.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Yes, I too love FISH.But I am such a Prima Donna:D, one bite of bone and I am done. Never could eat canned Salmon( Commercial), for that simple reason.
If the Salmon is deboned properly and then homecanned, I could eat it every other day.

Most of the fish I take I cut the fillets into 4's. Pretty much just clean it like a Halibut, that is go right down the lateral line down to the backbone, then cut the peice below the line first, and follow the bones when you get to the stomach, the piece that is left you just slide your knife along the backbone and it comes off perfectly. repeat on the other side... works best on 20#+ fish.

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Back