Feds buy KM pipeline

Floater

Sheesh. What a fiasco.

So now it’s a Federal project? I’ve yet to see a Government run business that is actually a profitable enterprise. These people couldn’t manage a bubble gum machine, let alone a venture like this.

BC/Canada needs to make itself known as a place that’s business friendly. Where entrepreneurs can come with a good idea, put it to the market and let it thrive/die on its own merits. That’s how we progress forward as a whole, not nationalizing.

Unless I’m missing some details, and I may be because I haven’t read the fine print, but this isn’t the way forward.

May be a blessing in disguise as the Trudeau voters will not like this.

I just can’t believe it.

We as BC residents had an option, a private company was going to spend billions on an infrastructure project for a viable reason. If it went bust, it was on them.

Now, as it turns out, we have a second option. The federal government funds/runs the project and with the inevitable losses we as citizens will all pay for this decades to come.

Those job gains and money spent are now a wash. The Feds needed to step up theirs game and push this through for PRIVATE enterprise. Now I can just see what would have been a boon for BC, now becoming a liability.

So sad.

The federal government can’t even manage paying its own employees.... Now they have Billions if dollars in construction bills to pay starting in 3 weeks..

As it sits we are now 4.5 billion into it. This does not account for construction cost. So every day a hippy zip ties them self to a peice of machinery will cost us tax payer hundreds of thousands of dollars (per day).

That is no over exaggeration. The daily cost is that high even if sitting there waiting because of eco terrorist..

KM had a 7.5 billion construction budget.... With the Fed it will be x 3

Thanks Horgan/Weaver. Our kids will be paying this one off..

Thanks Horgan/Weaver. Our kids will be paying this one off..

Really?! Give me a f***ing break. Pull your head out of your a**.

THIS was not a solution that even needed to be considered. Disagree with Horgan and the hippies all you want but this is a LIBERAL decision.

Phoney Trudeau say one thing and do the opposite. He campained on sending the project to a new proper environmental review. Liar.

I think it's easy for us to criticize this decision by the Federal Government as most folks do not like seeing governments running these types of ventures. But in reality what choice did they have? I think Kinder Morgan would have been more than happy to build and operate this pipeline but they have had nothing but resistance since day one and didn't see it getting any better in the future. Why would any reasonable company want to continue with the current climate they are dealing with. For supporters of the pipeline we should look no further than Twiddle de and Twiddle dumb. For those that don't support the pipeline,,,we shouldn't complain about the Fed's actions. They told us up front after they approved the project that they would do what it takes to build the pipeline. With Kinder Morgan backing out, we left the Feds with no choice.

Hippies? I think it will be reconciling his indigenous reconciliation agenda with his ownership of a pipeline that has to pass through dozens of untreatied First Nations territories, many of whom are opposed to the project. It would have been a tough balance hiding behind the federal regulators and pretending he was honest about reconciliation, it will be a whole other animal being the owner of the project.

Kinder Morgan would have bribed as many as they could have behind closed doors and litigated in courts based on their federal permits. The fed government isn’t going to be able to bribe anyone with public dollars and access to information laws. As far as litigation when inevitably some bands simply say no? With Trudeau already publicly stating reconciliation has to come from a place of fundamental recognition of indigenous rights and title, good luck with that!

The unfortunate part for us anglers is this makes a flip back to a Conservative government in two years all the more likely .... if we think our environment and fisheries are in sad shape today as a result of Harpers time in office, just imagine what it’ll be like after 4 or more years?!! I think I made the right call selling my boat!

Cheers!

Ukee

Sorry Newf, can’t agree and you should know about the Muskrat falls cluster, supposed to cost the tax payer $7billion and it’s currently at $12.5billion and counting! I also don’t think your logic fits the thinking of those opposed, a lot of BC residents and First Nations were prepared to make it as difficult as possible for the specific purpose of making it not economically viable for a private company, and thus hopefully getting rid of a project the majority of citizens in this province don’t want.

Cheers!

Ukee

Really?! Give me a f***ing break. Pull your head out of your a**.

THIS was not a solution that even needed to be considered. Disagree with Horgan and the hippies all you want but this is a LIBERAL decision.

Can’t argue with you that this was a liberal decision & a terrible one. I was referring to the actions of a person who rhymes with beaver that caused the political drama, which paved the road we are at today.... just saying it’s a sad day for Canada & the hope of any future investment

Hippies? I think it will be reconciling his indigenous reconciliation agenda with his ownership of a pipeline that has to pass through dozens of untreatied First Nations territories, many of whom are opposed to the project. It would have been a tough balance hiding behind the federal regulators and pretending he was honest about reconciliation, it will be a whole other animal being the owner of the project.

Kinder Morgan would have bribed as many as they could have behind closed doors and litigated in courts based on their federal permits. The fed government isn’t going to be able to bribe anyone with public dollars and access to information laws. As far as litigation when inevitably some bands simply say no? With Trudeau already publicly stating reconciliation has to come from a place of fundamental recognition of indigenous rights and title, good luck with that!

The unfortunate part for us anglers is this makes a flip back to a Conservative government in two years all the more likely .... if we think our environment and fisheries are in sad shape today as a result of Harpers time in office, just imagine what it’ll be like after 4 or more years?!! I think I made the right call selling my boat!

Cheers!

Ukee

I was thinking the same but behind the scenes native bands are investing & will be taking a partnership. Trust me the government will give them penny’s on the dollar. That way it’s band vs band and reconciliation is quickly lost.

Mark my words boys and girls. This has been thought out & the smart bands who care about the financial future and independence of their people will take advantage of this great opportunity

I think it's easy for us to criticize this decision by the Federal Government as most folks do not like seeing governments running these types of ventures. But in reality what choice did they have? I think Kinder Morgan would have been more than happy to build and operate this pipeline but they have had nothing but resistance since day one and didn't see it getting any better in the future. Why would any reasonable company want to continue with the current climate they are dealing with. For supporters of the pipeline we should look no further than Twiddle de and Twiddle dumb. For those that don't support the pipeline,,,we shouldn't complain about the Fed's actions. They told us up front after they approved the project that they would do what it takes to build the pipeline. With Kinder Morgan backing out, we left the Feds with no choice.

Well said. Makes me think

Hey Ukee,,, Don't disagree with your point on the massive cost overruns on Muskrat Falls and the Feds are unlikely to get this pipeline built for whatever dollar figure that they come up with early in the game. However, if you look back through any major projects during these last 20 years, very, very few come in anywhere close to the original estimates. The ones that come to mind, because I had front row seats are the massive overuns on oil sands plants built in the last 20 years. Almost double original estimates. " Site-C ?????" "Smaller scale,,the little blue bridge."

I also agree with you that, as you say," a lot of BC residents and First Nations were prepared to make it as difficult as possible for the specific purpose of making it not economically viable for a private company". However, as I noted previously, the Feds did say they would get it built, so if those against it succeeded in stopping the private company did they think that it would stop there after the Feds have said over and over that they feel that this is in the best interest of the Country? (We don't have to agree with this but they have declared this as their position) I'm afraid this will be more of a nightmare going forward than we can ever imagine.

The one point you make that I can't agree with is, "getting rid of a project the majority of citizens in this province don't want". I have seen and heard this comment over and over but many of the polls and discussions I've seen or heard on social media, news shows etc says otherwise. They could be reporting wrong information or maybe I'm watching and reading the wrong programs. The loudest voices usually draw the most attention in my experience but very rarely are they the majority.

I enjoy reading all the commentary especially when we can agree to disagree in a civil manner. My intent is not to be disrespectful to anyone's thought as we are all entitled to an opinion.

Thanks Newf, I agree with most everything you’ve written. Actually, the fact the Feds bought the project and assets proves your point about the seriousness of their claims they would get the project done ... a promise kept by the Liberals?!!

Cheers!

Ukee

The one point you make that I can't agree with is, "getting rid of a project the majority of citizens in this province don't want". I have seen and heard this comment over and over but many of the polls and discussions I've seen or heard on social media, news shows etc says otherwise.

The problem with that argument is that they aren't asking the right question. If asked "Are you in favor of increasing tanker traffic by 10 fold?" The vast majority would say NO.

The Federal Government taking over a project and assuming the costs risks that should have been borne by a private company is a sad state of affairs for sure. The government has no expertise building such a project, and it puts the taxpayer at unnecessary risk. Regardless of if you support the project or not, the federal government of the day determined that given the risks and benefits it was in the overall interest of the country and approved it. Clearly there are risks to having more tanker traffic. No project is without risks. That is the purpose of the federal government, to weigh those and make a decision. People have the right to protest (peacefully and legally not how Elizabeth May did it) and will have the opportunity to vote for a party (a choice of two) that would stop it in the upcoming federal election. That's how democracy works. Horgan's taking the country hostage is not acceptable, not within provincial jurisdiction, and plain wrong. Whats next, can his greenies decide GMO wheat is harmful to the worlds health, and he can block it from being transported through BC? He and the greens are not the world's nor the countries conscience. Overall the world needs to move towards greener energy, the government will and should continue to promote it, and the end of oil will one day come. However in the mean time oil is a global commodity, not building this project will do nothing to further green energy as Teporah Berman and the other ultra-greens claim, all it will do is ensure Canadian producers continue to get a discounted price, and allow the oil to be supplied by other countries like middle eastern ones that promote terrorism, or enemies of the west like Russia. When the end of oil comes, all we will have done is ensure more Canadian oil was left in the ground, and more middle eastern and Russian oil was not.

Back