Favourite Fishing Accommodations for WCVI?

My New Years resolution, as I suspect may be many others, is to get some solid fishing in for 2020.

I am keen to try new places over the summer so wanted to know what everyone's favourite fishing accommodations are on the west coast of Vancouver Island. My preference is usually to find somewhere set up for fishing, with a dock I can tie up at and a cleaning station/freezer set up.

From Port Renfrew to Cape Scott, where are your favourite spots to stay and fish during the summer?

Renfrew to Cape Scott... well I've only stayed in Winter Harbor between those areas you are talking about. Stayed in lot's of locations down the coast south of there though and in Renfrew itself. Ukee, Tofino, Sooke, Bamfield etc all have accommodations and good fishing but are south of the area you are referring too. In Winter Harbor I've stayed/fished out of Oly's cabins right on the water and loved it. https://www.olisfishingcharters.com/ We rented the house right at the end of the dock over looking the water. Salmon, Lings, Hali's all not far from where your docked there. You can also get into Tuna at the right times during the year from there too. Oly started doing a Tuna derby now too. Also fuel dock in the inlet with store/ice and some supplies. Also other places to stay there by the fuel dock. We trailered up to Coal Harbor and launched from there.
Some Winter Harbor trip pics:
34348126_393350861166492_2220201236777402368_o.jpg

34380069_393351971166381_8967724532446003200_o.jpg

34583318_393351104499801_1528010108192161792_o.jpg

34408957_393350931166485_3502193024094437376_o.jpg

34474996_393352364499675_5819690435655761920_o.jpg

34276548_393351187833126_1657295332540678144_o.jpg

34557315_393350667833178_2207799630379352064_o.jpg

34395317_393352617832983_7029268309858058240_o.jpg

34499488_393352107833034_7069708862923735040_o.jpg

34687537_393351157833129_1813868575769755648_o.jpg

I've heard great things about Nootka Lodge and plan to do a trip there this summer. I've got a commercial fishing friend that ties up there at times and has stayed there several times and says nothing but great things about it.

I am obviously biased, but I have fished all over BC and Esperanza is one of the best spots to fish on the Coast. Protected inshore fisheries, fun beach areas fishing rocky outcrops and offshore fishing if you like that sort of thing. Not nearly as crowded as Barkley Sound, or even Nootka for that matter (except when the fishing is better in Esperanza and all the Nootka people trek up). The fishing is great early in the season in June. We can fish 5 minutes away when the Canuma hatchery fish are in the inlet, 10 minutes to pin rocks, Low rock, outer black.... 15-20 minutes if we are fishing Ferrer. Nice to fish until dark and then head back in.
You can Bring your own boat all summer, early and late season,( May 1 to June 15 and September ) you can just rent a room and bring your own food, rest of the time it includes accommodation, moorage and meals.

Planning on staying there this early summer, end of May early June, we will see. Doesn’t t take much to keep me happy, warm, dry place for the boat, good enough.

We just booked Moutcha yesterday for 5 days in mid July. Plan is to drop in at Gold River and my buddy is going to run the truck and trailer to the property. I am really looking forward to fishing that area, I have been on the outside before but it was a long time ago and guided. So we'll see how it all works out, right about now I can't focus on much else!

What does everyone consider crowded? I fished 50-60 days in Barkley sound this season and never once found it crowded. Never fished Esperanza but what you just described sounds like the sound..... tons and tons of spots to fish for all species inshore and if you like there’s a million more spots offshore..... you don’t even have to fire up your main engine you can literally troll out of the marina’s and be into fish. Lots of protected areas to fish when the weather comes up too..... just my 2 cents but I don’t think it can get any better then that ???

We just booked Moutcha yesterday for 5 days in mid July. Plan is to drop in at Gold River and my buddy is going to run the truck and trailer to the property. I am really looking forward to fishing that area, I have been on the outside before but it was a long time ago and guided. So we'll see how it all works out, right about now I can't focus on much else!

Nice. We hope to do Nootka early summer then Ukee late July early Aug, will see. Have a son getting married 3rd week in Aug so might mess with things. Lousy kids I thought they were done messing with my life now that they were out the door, lol.

My New Years resolution, as I suspect may be many others, is to get some solid fishing in for 2020.

I am keen to try new places over the summer so wanted to know what everyone's favourite fishing accommodations are on the west coast of Vancouver Island. My preference is usually to find somewhere set up for fishing, with a dock I can tie up at and a cleaning station/freezer set up.

From Port Renfrew to Cape Scott, where are your favourite spots to stay and fish during the summer?

Well like a few others have written; I love to fish Barkley sound. I'm sure I fished 40 days last year in the sound and I always managed to find fish and a spot that wasn't crowded. If you get away from the wall, kirby, swale and meares you'll still be on the fish and you'll likely have the place (nearly) to yourself. Bamfield is just a beauty of a village with everything you need and lots of great places to stay. The nook is a closer option that also has a great all around vibe! Barkley sound for me is as good as it gets. Salmon, ling, hali, prawns, rockfish and dungies! You don't even need to go beyond the surf line to catch all these species! Running your boat down the inlet from alberni might be a better option that the ****** bamfield road. You'll want to get away from clutesi before 930 to beat the damn nahmint wind and after that, crack yourself a beer and enjoy paradise.
Pastafarian

Up until 3 years ago, I fished Barclay Sound, staying in and around Bamfield for over 30 yrs. Depending on boat size, you have many choices, and even in bad weather you can always find places to fish. Lots of places to stay, groceries, Coast Guard, even a ferry from Port Alberni. Book your accomidations early if you want to be assured of a place to stay.
Only an hour and a half by boat from Pt. Alberni.
Stosh

I like Ukee because I like the drive and can fish there or Barkley or even trailer to Tofino for a day. That's more offshore, surfline, and pinnacle options than I can ever get to in a lifetime. Tofino is good too, if you can find a dock or a spot to park a boat and trailer at night.

Nice. We hope to do Nootka early summer then Ukee late July early Aug, will see. Have a son getting married 3rd week in Aug so might mess with things. Lousy kids I thought they were done messing with my life now that they were out the door, lol.

Lucky you got them out the door, I'm in for at least another dime here, ours are only 10 and 11 going on 19!

I have given it some thought around leaving the boat at or around moutcha after the 16th of july and heading back for another week at the end of July. See how things are around then, at least ours are off to summer camp for a week start of August woohoo!

So many amazing parts of this coast and I want to circumnavigate the Island sometime...its a privilege for us all to be able to explore this part of the world!

I heard there is gonna be a 30 commander moored up in Barkley sound selling the best fried chicken on the coast this summer. Rumour has it the location will change around depending where the hot bite is.
I will be rafted up, swapping fish BS and eating some chicken;)
Just follow the smell to know where the fish are. ;)

I am obviously biased, but I have fished all over BC and Esperanza is one of the best spots to fish on the Coast. Protected inshore fisheries, fun beach areas fishing rocky outcrops and offshore fishing if you like that sort of thing. Not nearly as crowded as Barkley Sound, or even Nootka for that matter (except when the fishing is better in Esperanza and all the Nootka people trek up). The fishing is great early in the season in June. We can fish 5 minutes away when the Canuma hatchery fish are in the inlet, 10 minutes to pin rocks, Low rock, outer black.... 15-20 minutes if we are fishing Ferrer. Nice to fish until dark and then head back in.
You can Bring your own boat all summer, early and late season,( May 1 to June 15 and September ) you can just rent a room and bring your own food, rest of the time it includes accommodation, moorage and meals.
I think everyone in the business thinks where they are set up is great for various reasons

I guess I just had a different experience than some of you. Fished Barkley for 10 days early August and it was wall to wall boats as far as you can see. Fished 10 different spots and they were all a circus. Beautiful area but I had much more fun in sooke.

Guessing you just watched Westcoast Sporting Journal haha? I was also curious about these accommodations after watching myself. Kayak derby sounds fun.
I didn't actually but I have since! I heard about the kayak derby a couple years ago and i can finally make time to get to it this year. Maybe I'll see you there

I guess I just had a different experience than some of you. Fished Barkley for 10 days early August and it was wall to wall boats as far as you can see. Fished 10 different spots and they were all a circus. Beautiful area but I had much more fun in sooke.

Sooke was one of the busiest spots I’ve fished, but really most of the spots mentioned are real busy during peak times. Sooke was still awesome. Nootka was real busy the time I went, fishing has just been pretty popular.

Stay away from the packs. You don’t need to fish in the hottest hole with the other 50 boats. I find that so laughable how guys think they’ve gotta be right at a certain coord or they’ll miss something. I fish Sooke, Vancouver, Nootka/Esperanza every year and see traffic but I avoid it. Never have an issue catching fish.
I may be biased but Nootka is spectacular and Critter Cove is a great lodge/resort. Are there better, probably. But Critter has flavour,ambience, great moorage, food, gas, views. It’s kind of a private club in a way. Every year I can’t wait to get back.

Sometimes less is more!
We have a group of about 8 guys who go to Bamfield every year. We have a 4 bedroom house rented
With its own dock. We live in the lower mainland and I’m looking for 2 guys who are interested
In sharing expenses. My boat-09 Weldcraft 18’8” with 115 yamy and 8 kicker. You need a truck. Expenses
Are about $900-1000 if split 3 ways- fuel, accommodations and dinners. Anyone interested

Back