Favourite Fishing Accommodations for WCVI?

Really? That sounds interesting. Who's going to fix it and open it?

i will get some pics posted up next trip. this will be great for local economy as after purdy shut down the town it really has never been the same. , not gonna say who bought for privacy reasons,, but, they been working on it day and night , new decks, roof (3" thick shakes!) windows,, an entire overhaul is happening! the goal is for late spring but i think that would be a miracle. looks amazing so far. between this getting done and the new owners that are doing an amazing job at the mercantile, Bamfield will be even better!

i will get some pics posted up next trip. this will be great for local economy as after purdy shut down the town it really has never been the same. , not gonna say who bought for privacy reasons,, but, they been working on it day and night , new decks, roof (3" thick shakes!) windows,, an entire overhaul is happening! the goal is for late spring but i think that would be a miracle. looks amazing so far. between this getting done and the new owners that are doing an amazing job at the mercantile, Bamfield will be even better!

That's great news. I had a poke around there with Jeff (Osama), a couple of years ago and it was in a sad state. I thought it would eventually be a tear down. It's a beauty old building, will be cool to see it restored.

Anyway, sorry for the sidebar. :D

That's great news. I had a poke around there with Jeff (Osama), a couple of years ago and it was in a sad state. I thought it would eventually be a tear down. It's a beauty old building, will be cool to see it restored.

Anyway, sorry for the sidebar. :D
Osama! Loved fishing with Jeff.

Anyone stayed at Moutcha Bay? Or taken part in the kayak salmon fishing derby they host? I'm planning on that this year.

Anyone stayed at Moutcha Bay?
Yes I stayed in a camping yurt right in front of the the resort last year-it's a peculiar setup cramped and oddly situated.

Some of the people who work there are real gems but others seem to have just got out of jail and for that reason alone I can't recommend it to anyone.

Anyone stayed at Moutcha Bay? Or taken part in the kayak salmon fishing derby they host? I'm planning on that this year.

Planning on staying there this early summer, end of May early June, we will see. Doesn’t t take much to keep me happy, warm, dry place for the boat, good enough.

I ran my boat up from Gold River, and had a buddy bring the truck and camper to Moutcha Bay in July of 2018. Campsite was a bit small, but no biggy, not spending much time there anyways. Docks were first class, cleaning stations well serviced, power-washed at the end of each day, Showers and washrooms clean, friendly, helpful staff. Everything was pretty new, looks like someone spent a ton of money to get it up and running. There was a good sized fleet of rental and guide boats , if I recall correctly, 18’ aluminum walkarounds and 28-30’ guided Gradys or something similar.Fish packaging on site, they even offered to clean my fish if I so desired, all at a price of course. Restaurant/bar on site, never tried it, but it looked fine. I would definitely go back, only downside is the 17NM run out to Maquinna Point which is where most people start fishing, at least when I was there.

Never stayed in the resort but I’ve eaten in the restaurant several times when I’m up in Nootka. The place looks pretty amazing and the food is good. It’s done right and I’m pretty sure you’d be happy there. It has amazing docks /fuel. A ton of capital had gone into that place. There’s closer fishing than a run to the Lighthouse. If the fish are in, Camel and Hoiss are within 15 minutes in a boat (not a kayak).

Last edited:
I stayed at critter cove and thought it was awesome and very reasonably priced, I slept on my boat and just payed moorage. Stayed at poetts nook last year and critter cove is a nicer place to stay in my opinion but I think I prefer the fishing in Barkley sound as opposed to Nootka

Go rent a place on the water in the sooke basin. Very cheap and amazing fishing. Last summer 10-20 fish days was the norm. Not many boats also. I will never go back to bamfield as it’s a gong show.

We rented this house in Sooke 2018. It has a big wharf and is about a 3 minute boat ride from Possession Point and Secretary Island. Crabbing right off the dock. I brought my boat and kept it at the wharf no problems. 3 other guys joined us and drove there.
Is an older house but beautiful location and 5 acre property. If fishing is good in Sooke this is a great place to stay. You literally cannot get any closer to the fishing grounds.

https://www.vrbo.com/en-ca/cottage-rental/p885686vb?noDates=true

Go rent a place on the water in the sooke basin. Very cheap and amazing fishing. Last summer 10-20 fish days was the norm. Not many boats also. I will never go back to bamfield as it’s a gong show.

Wooah! I haven't been to Bamtown for a couple of years.
When I was, it was foggy and crazy.
The weather and fishing weren't too bad either.

Wooah! I haven't been to Bamtown for a couple of years.
When I was, it was foggy and crazy.
The weather and fishing weren't too bad either.

Ya it’s nothing to write home about now. Sub par fishing and 50,000 boats. Sorry I’m just bitter about all the boat traffic and fishing pressure!

Ya it’s nothing to write home about now. Sub par fishing and 50,000 boats. Sorry I’m just bitter about all the boat traffic and fishing pressure!

sub par fishing? lol, need a guide?
boat traffic? fishing pressure? maybe if ya only know the wall and kirby.

it is so easy to find an area to tack without boats, so many places!

way busier in the 90's for sure.

I've only been to Bamfield once about 20 years ago. We picked up my friends 24 foot trophy somewhere just outside of Nanaimo and pulled it to a lot to make to final run into town. We moored and stayed at what seemed like a fancy-ish place right on the point, Tyee Lodge? My friend and his older brothers were basically sent by there Polish family to go fill the freezer. We spent the first night on a guides boat drinking a really fancy bottle of whiskey that was sent by the parents for this purpose only. When we went to leave it wasn't even discussed he just wrote some coordinates on a piece of paper and handed it to my buddies older brother. I was a stoner kid that had too much whiskey and didn't even really understand at the time what was going down. In the morning we hit the dock in the dark and all the guides and other guests boats were getting geared up. The excitement was palpable. We made a run out to god knows where and dropped the lines. We were quickly into salmon after salmon after salmon then some yellow eye and rockfish. My arms were toast before noon, at the time I had no idea what the different salmon species were or that this was already an amazing day of fishing. We picked up and proceeded out further to go get halibut. We were chased by dolphins as the horizon dissapeared and when when the fog cleared we hit the halibut grounds a massive whale breached and splashed not 100' from our boat. We spent the next few hours hauling in our limit of chickens as the kids were told not to take the big ones. We made what felt like about an hours run back in with my buddy and I sitting up on the bow on watch trying to see through the fog as our radar went down in the big swells heading out. We navigated safely in and as we got closer and closer into town we started to see all the other boats heading in at the same time. The entire fleet with smiles on their faces. We docked and headed up to the cleaning station where everyone was laughing and taking pictures and high fiving. To me it felt like the Canucks had just won the cup or something. We showered up to get the smell off and headed back to boat to hit the bar. WE WERE TAKING THE BOAT TO GO TO THE BAR?! I just remember thinking this is the coolest place on earth as I enjoyed what seemed like the best beef dip I'd ever had. It was an early night and the last thing I remember of the trip is my buddies older brother trying to wake us up at 4am to do it all over again. My heart said yes but body said nooooo and the two of us stayed at the lodge and slept in.

So yeah, probably the only day in my life that I can remember every last detail and it was over twenty years ago. I've been dreaming about getting back there since. My vote, Bamfield.

I've only been to Bamfield once about 20 years ago. We picked up my friends 24 foot trophy somewhere just outside of Nanaimo and pulled it to a lot to make to final run into town. We moored and stayed at what seemed like a fancy-ish place right on the point, Tyee Lodge? My friend and his older brothers were basically sent by there Polish family to go fill the freezer. We spent the first night on a guides boat drinking a really fancy bottle of whiskey that was sent by the parents for this purpose only. When we went to leave it wasn't even discussed he just wrote some coordinates on a piece of paper and handed it to my buddies older brother. I was a stoner kid that had too much whiskey and didn't even really understand at the time what was going down. In the morning we hit the dock in the dark and all the guides and other guests boats were getting geared up. The excitement was palpable. We made a run out to god knows where and dropped the lines. We were quickly into salmon after salmon after salmon then some yellow eye and rockfish. My arms were toast before noon, at the time I had no idea what the different salmon species were or that this was already an amazing day of fishing. We picked up and proceeded out further to go get halibut. We were chased by dolphins as the horizon dissapeared and when when the fog cleared we hit the halibut grounds a massive whale breached and splashed not 100' from our boat. We spent the next few hours hauling in our limit of chickens as the kids were told not to take the big ones. We made what felt like about an hours run back in with my buddy and I sitting up on the bow on watch trying to see through the fog as our radar went down in the big swells heading out. We navigated safely in and as we got closer and closer into town we started to see all the other boats heading in at the same time. The entire fleet with smiles on their faces. We docked and headed up to the cleaning station where everyone was laughing and taking pictures and high fiving. To me it felt like the Canucks had just won the cup or something. We showered up to get the smell off and headed back to boat to hit the bar. WE WERE TAKING THE BOAT TO GO TO THE BAR?! I just remember thinking this is the coolest place on earth as I enjoyed what seemed like the best beef dip I'd ever had. It was an early night and the last thing I remember of the trip is my buddies older brother trying to wake us up at 4am to do it all over again. My heart said yes but body said nooooo and the two of us stayed at the lodge and slept in.

So yeah, probably the only day in my life that I can remember every last detail and it was over twenty years ago. I've been dreaming about getting back there since. My vote, Bamfield.

Tyee Lodge was a very nice place to stay. My buddies took me there for my stag in the 90's. The food they cooked up was amazing. We had the whole house rented there with the hot tub. Was a great time. Went back to fish/stay after seeing what Bamfield was like. Very nice area to stay and fish around.

It's great news they are fixing the lodge up. The gravel road in can get pretty beat up so trailering in can be rough at times. I know some of the locals and regulars there like to keep the road gravel to keep the area from getting too busy but others would like to see it paved so that it brings more people and money to the area.

52381257_563770270791216_6980260125965549568_o.jpg

19466394_243509316150648_7181335408113778823_o.jpg

Back