Fathers Day Weekend Fishing Derby

profisher

There is a group of us working on the final plans for a fishing derby this Father's Day Weekend. It will be hosted by Pebber Bay Marina and be held on Saturday and Sunday the 14th and 15th of June. The tentative name is the Juan De Fuca Banana Challenge. We are garenteeing $10,000 in cash prizes for the largest salmon. Plan A is $10,000 for the largest salmon if all of area's 19/20 are in zone 2 by the derby date and you can keep a wild salmon with no upper slot size. If we remain in zone 1 the the plan will be for $5,000 to be awarded for the largest hatchery salmon and $5,000 for the largest wild salmon caught west of Sheringham. All of areas 19/20 will be open to fishing.
Tickets will be $120 per rod for non-SVIAC members and $100 per rod for SVIAC members. There will be a limit of 300 tickets sold. There will be the "You Da Man" Banana Trophy awarded to the person entering the largest salmon. It will once again be one of a kind and we will keep it a surprise until the weekend awards. We are also looking into having the wrap up indoors. There will be lots of prizes for different categories and many draw prizes. By the response with sponsors to date that I have talked to I'm sure we have over $20,000 in prizes already.
We will have tickets for sale at the Victoria Boat show at the Nice Fish/SVIAC booth. Buy your annual SVIAC membership and save $20 per rod on your derby tickets!!
I will start a thread in the derby section on this site once we have more news and the latest info will also be posted on the SVIAC website as well.

Wow how do ya feel about that Bag-Juan you won the banana challenge on the wrong year!! Oh well only missed out on 10 grand.

I'm in for the derby, a little disappointed the focus is on grinding out a slab vs have fun and catch fish though. I was proud of the 5 pounders I weighed in last year that netted me a trophy rod/reel!

GWD...that will still be an important part of this derby. A combination of a family fun event with lots of draw prizes for any legal fish weighed in but this year a lure to catch the trophy hunters too. Like I mentioned above, most of the sponsors I have a connection with have already said to come and see them when we are ready. So there will be those prizes for sure as a starting point and I will have time to ask for more. So really the only change is the "addition" of a cash prize.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont you have better use for the 10k other than giving it away to a lucky guy? I would have thought sviac could need some cash? I could not care less if there was a 10 or 10k winners prize as long as its fun, for a good cause and well organized. Just saying.

Its sounding like the JDF Derby. Prizes for everyone. Used to love that derby lots of fun! Im sure there will be money going to someones pockets with the price on those tickets.

I've never been to "Pebber Bay Marina." ;)

Dont you have better use for the 10k other than giving it away to a lucky guy? I would have thought sviac could need some cash?

By making a large prize for the winner, I'll bet raising lots of cash for SVIAC won't be an issue. Big prizes = larger number of contestants I'd bet.

Calmseas...
Why don't you enter the derby and if you win, donate the 10K to SVIAC. I am sure a representative will be there and be happy to take your donation.

Plenty of money will be raised for good causes, lots of fun will be had and someone will walk away with 10K. Many others will win great prizes. There will be winners all around.

Tips

Last edited by a moderator:
SVIAC will get the proceeds and like it has been said a decent cash prize will help sell out the tickets and that means a maximum contribution to the cause. Those of us organizing this have gone over all the options upside down, sideways, and inside out and have also considered what we learned from last year. We looked at the Sidney Anglers very successful format and what they have achieved in a few short years and have decided what works for them there will also work in JDF. The past JDF derby also proves that a decent cash prize will ensure a lot of interest and we are looking at building this into something similar that everyone will look forward to every year. Just to add...a big thank you to George Wetherell and all the JDF Derby volunteers over the years. I know many out there wish that derby was still going strong (myself included)... They did an awesome job and everyone should appreciate the efforts made to put on a first class derby for over 25 years. No small feat!!

Calmseas...
Why don't you enter the derby and if you win, donate the 10K to SVIAC. I am sure a representative will be there and be happy to take your donation.

Plenty of money will be raised for good causes, lots of fun will be had and someone will walk away with 10K. Many others will win great prizes. There will be winners all around.

Tips

Lol, chances are next to nothing but should I win I pledge to donate everything that is left over of the 10k after I bough me my second Islander reel. Now wish me good luck lol

It has just been confirmed that the Alpine Group will be a major sponsor of this derby and will be for the next 5 years. We are talking payments at the boat show for derby tickets and they were already selling fast today. We are capping the number of tickets at 300 this year. Those who have purchase tickets this year will have first right to refuse next year when prizes are expected to increase. SVIAC memberships are also being sold and we are hoping to hit the 500 mark between renewals and new sign ups.

Yes there are still tickets left however we did sell over 50 tickets already, with only the advertising done here. We still have to actually print the tickets and our derby posters. We have a couple more exciting sponsorships we are working on this coming week. Once that has been finalized we can then complete our print work. We want to make sure our major sponsors are included in all the print materials. Once tickets have been printed they will be available at the usual outlets. This should include Island Outfitters, Wise Buys, Pedder Bay Marina and Eagle Eye. I'm hoping to be adding a new truck and boat package for a fish caught over a certain size. Stayed tuned here or on the SVIAC website for updates.

Well we were fortunate the games were in Russia. You could get up early, watch the game, go back and catch a few more zzz's then enjoy the boat show. Saturday was the best I've seen for the show attendance, ever. Busy all day and lots of interest. My throat was sore that evening at the PSF dinner/auction but a few drinks there made me forget!

It has just been confirmed that the Alpine Group will be a major sponsor of this derby and will be for the next 5 years. We are talking payments at the boat show for derby tickets and they were already selling fast today. We are capping the number of tickets at 300 this year. Those who have purchase tickets this year will have first right to refuse next year when prizes are expected to increase. SVIAC memberships are also being sold and we are hoping to hit the 500 mark between renewals and new sign ups.

It is great news to have the endorsement and financial support of a major sponsor such as the Alpine Group, who did such a great job with the JDF Derby all those years. This goes a long way to ensuring that the JDF Banana Challenge Fathers Day Derby will become a worthy successor to the famous JDF Fathers Day Derby and provide an ongoing funding source to support pacific fish and the interests of anglers.

The JDF Derby became so popular, that if you did not already have your name on the list to reserve your tickets, it was for years impossible to get them, despite the JDF Derby having grown into one of the largest in North America. Picked up our tickets Friday and got our names on the list for the future just in case.

Much appreciation Profisher, to you and the entire volunteer organizing committee for all the work necessary to make this Derby happen.

Doing it again.... Was just to good of a time with my son last year... Great way to spend fathers day, and would be out fishing anyways when it was on anyway...

We have just finalized the selection of our derby name with our major sponsor and the organizing group. The official name will be "The 2014 Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament". I will now be able to get tickets printed in a few days. Sometime next week I should also have our window stickers finished which will be included with each ticket. There is also an opportunity to have our official ticket sale kick off include a meet/greet & barbecue at the Alpine Marine Centre location. They have a large room on the 3rd floor of their building on Millstream Rd. This would be a great way to pick up tickets and mingle a bit with your fellow anglers. We will keep everyone posted as news is available.

They are per rod. If you are not a member of SVIAC they are $120.00 each...if you are a member they are $100.00 each. SVIAC annual memberships are $40.00 and that can be purchased online at www.anglerscoalition.com

Back