Farmed pacific salmon?

N2013

Does anyone know if Chinook or any other pacific salmon is/has been “farmed” like Atlantic Salmon??

There’s lots including a few new start ups on land. One is farming Coho in Abbotsford.

My in laws started trying to domesticate chinooks out of Beaver Cove back in the 80's. It was challenging considering how much easier it was to farm atlantics that had been domesticated for decades. I assume a lot of progress has been made since then.

Before Atlantics many of the farms raised neutered coho, chinook and steelhead (rainbow trout). These species all had challenges when I was on farms in the early 80's: neutered coho had 10 percent plus deformation rates (needed to be culled), the steelhead suffered high mortality rates in plankton bloom events (would not dive below) and chinook were spooky and stressed easily. Escaped native species are more of a threat to native populations than atlantics are. If all of the Atlantics were sterile then the risk of escaped fish spawning in the wild would be eliminated.

Back