Far Better Flasher?

kaelc

Anyone use them? So you have to chase your flasher after it pops off? I'm not a fan of bringing up the other lines much less spending time chasing crap in the water but I may be way off base on how it works?

PS Admin search isn't working on safari browsers

It rotates and gives your hootchie motion, but when the fish hits, a little plastic pin pops free and the flasher slides up your main line because you have threaded it through an eye. No need to chase. They can cause confusion for other boats' inattentive drivers since the flasher can be boatside while the fish is still far enough away for someone to cut it off.
HC has some on sale tomorrow for 5 bucks.
Maybe the rigging in your link has fixed the issue of sliding too far.

I haven't used the Gibbs ones but have a couple of Q-cove made in the US and works really well but they stopped selling them..

I haven't used the Gibbs ones but have a couple of Q-cove made in the US and works really well but they stopped selling them..
Yeah Ken had a good thing going, as i did some testing for him but had to shut down due to health problems

I am, developed by the lodge manager at Dent, Justin Farr. Works pretty well and I use them maybe half the time, if I reach past the first 2 green flashers in the box haha

Last edited:
I've had that flasher on my boat for years, but keep using mostly the tried and true traditional stuff. I think the problem is that I always second guess whether it really works, or if I'm dragging something around that is not performing optimally.

I have tried them but think they don’t work nearly as well as the discontinued q-cove design.

Some make their own version by cutting down one of the old first generation Scotty pin type downrigger release clips and grafting it onto a flasher.

Last edited:
They work and are quite more enjoyable fighting fish
You may also occasionally lose less fish as the fish does not get that half second of slack to increase the chance it will throw the hook when the rotating flasher breaks the surface and stops rotating.

Last edited:
The best was the Super Release dodger. It clipped into your rod main line but stayed with the downrigger cable once a fish popped it free. Leaving nothing but a bead chain and your teaser/hook on the line when playing the fish. Fish fight totally different...seldom make that first long run with a flasher chasing them. Instead many shorter runs and almost always circling the boat not wanting anything to do with the net. A lot more fun.

Wasn't that you in the how to VHS video, Profisher?
I watched it then sent it to somebody on here years ago. I still have one of those dodgers somewhere.

HC has many colours of the FBF for 5 bucks in their sale. Website was slow but I got an order in.

The best was the Super Release dodger. It clipped into your rod main line but stayed with the downrigger cable once a fish popped it free. Leaving nothing but a bead chain and your teaser/hook on the line when playing the fish. Fish fight totally different...seldom make that first long run with a flasher chasing them. Instead many shorter runs and almost always circling the boat not wanting anything to do with the net. A lot more fun.
I always had trouble with those releases. Broke quite a few off on the bite because i set it too strong

Maybe it was me, not sure. I watched one of Gary Cooper's old videos and there I was doing an Anchovy setup demonstration at a show in the Esquimalt Rink....completely forgot about it and even when I watched it couldn't remember doing it. But it was me so I guess I did. I plug the Scotty red pin in super tight when I use it and never had a problem with line break....I did however cut that section of line out each morning along with a new leader. I use 25 pound Ultra Green for main and the plug pinched down on this. Back in the day I used 35 pound Yama leader and now 40 Big Game....still use 25 Ultra Green for main. To be fair I was a friend of Wayne's at the time and had access to his first prototypes which were 2 feet long and made with heavier gauge brass than the ones he later put on the market. They would have been to expensive to market. Being heavier they are easier to use as they pull back and sink quicker which means less tangles and faster setups.

They were a bit of pain if there were lots of small fish around because they wouldn't or couldn't pull hard enough to pop that tightly set pin. I used such light rods often I couldn't pop it out either without risking breaking a rod. So I would have to bring it up with the rigger and pop it off by hand.

They were a bit of pain if there were lots of small fish around because they wouldn't or couldn't pull hard enough to pop that tightly set pin. I used such light rods often I couldn't pop it out either without risking breaking a rod. So I would have to bring it up with the rigger and pop it off by hand.
Any chance you can get the design for the 3’ ones from him I am on my last two I’d like to get some built

I haven't seen Wayne for 3-4 years. He was managing Queale Electronics in Victoria, but has retired. I know he fishes with Tom Davis (previous owner of Rhys Davis Lures). If you want to get some made you won't need any design so long as you have a copy. Take it in to any sheet metal fab shop and get them to cut and bend some up for you. I did this with the bigger ones years ago...had to buy a sheet of the proper gauge of spring brass...had them cut and bent and then took them to Victoria Plating for chroming. I had way more than I needed for myself so I sold the extra's to friends who wanted them to recover costs.

The super release sure has alot of flash down there and i find when i use one the other side of the boat gets alot of hits with just a standard flasher. Yes they are a pain to rig up but they do work really well. Some guys were using them as dummy flasher also as they put out a big flash..

I haven't seen Wayne for 3-4 years. He was managing Queale Electronics in Victoria, but has retired. I know he fishes with Tom Davis (previous owner of Rhys Davis Lures). If you want to get some made you won't need any design so long as you have a copy. Take it in to any sheet metal fab shop and get them to cut and bend some up for you. I did this with the bigger ones years ago...had to buy a sheet of the proper gauge of spring brass...had them cut and bent and then took them to Victoria Plating for chroming. I had way more than I needed for myself so I sold the extra's to friends who wanted them to recover costs.
I looked I only have the 2 footers left would like 3

Back