F150 Towing Capacity

I am considering upgrading to a bigger boat but I am concerned that my truck is inadequate. Anyone currently towing a Gulfstream 232 with a new F150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost in it? Or any similar weight boats? Specs says its good to tow 8000 lbs, but ....
Any thoughts/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I wouldnt do it, I tow my 232 with a sierra 1500 witha 403hp 6.2 and 3.73 rears, I factory ordered and built the truck the way I wanted, the truck is a beast but you still know its there.
if your 232 is all topped up with fuel and fresh water and gear your probably pushing closer to 10,000lbs
that eco boost will be running hard

To give you a little size prospective
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Went through this a couple years ago, found a 2013 Dodge Ram with the hemi engine fit the bill for me with a 10,300 towing capacity. Tows my 23 ft Trophy like it isn't there. Properly equipped is the key as Hookinup suggests .........tires/wheels/brakes/engine/suspension/shocks/transmission cooler/differential/etc...many factors in obtaining the towing capacity.

Just a quick question for you guys towing 10,000 lb boats with half tons......once you get into the territory of getting trucks built with big v8's with all the goodies wouldn't you be better off just getting a 3/4 ton or better with a diesel?

I too will be needing a new truck soon, mine is 19 years young, a Silverado. I have been extremely disappointed with the brakes while owning this truck for 17 years, several thousand bucks over the years ...... On brakes, it is a2500 and an automatic.

These modern 1/2 tons ........ How's the braking with a big load, I too have a 21 foot deep v hull, also pull ATVs and all the hunting stuff to go with it.

I'm really worried if buying a 1/2 ton, as I have always had 3/4 tons.

How's the modern brakes boys?

Thanks HT

Went through this a couple years ago, found a 2013 Dodge Ram with the hemi engine fit the bill for me with a 10,300 towing capacity. Tows my 23 ft Trophy like it isn't there. Properly equipped is the key as Hookinup suggests .........tires/wheels/brakes/engine/suspension/shocks/transmission cooler/differential/etc...many factors in obtaining the towing capacity.

In addition to everything noted above, one additional thing that I found very helpful managing my trailer load/weight/control better was going to a "weight distribution" hitch system. You can sense improved control management. Also, tire pressure management is important. There is however, no replacement for cubic inch displacement. My 228G weighs in at 8000lbs fully loaded and I had to move up to a 3/4 ton Suburban with a 6.0 l from a 1/2 ton Denali couple of years ago. The 6.0 manages ok although my previous Denali's 6.2 L had a lot more torque.

Last edited:
I havent had any braking issues on the ram...trailer has tamdem electric brakes as well of course. Have trailer brake setting at 50% on truck, dont know what others are doing. Tow vehicle does not get pushed around either. Dont know how much "stability control" and "tow" features/options on truck assist here as well.

When comparing $ to $ vs. 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton on any make there seemed to be a huge jump. It was apparent to me that I could get a fully loaded 1/2 ton for the same price of a lower model big brother.

Diesel....not a high miler so wasn't a concern.

When I pull my 19' boat (3000ish lbs) with my '07 F150 (4.6L V8) I really feel it going uphill and down. Granted I don't have trailer brakes which would make a big difference. Remember tow ratings are all about stopping. They don't care how fast you go up the hill (or if you blow a rod trying) they care about you coming down that hill and being pushed into a school bus full of kids. So with that in mind it all depends on what you want to do. Drag it up and down the island (Malahat?) holding up traffic or just from the house down to the ramp and back? As long as you are legal who cares how slow you go.
What I have learned in owning a couple F-150's and a F-250 in regards to engine choices is this: Smaller engines don't always save fuel (they just work harder to maintain speeds and weights). My old 5.4L/F150 and before that 302/F250 burned the same amount of fuel as my current 4.6L and now I don't have the extra power in reserve when I want it for going up that hill with the trailer in tow.

In conclusion, there is noway I would hook my 2.7L F150 (I had to google it to even believe they made one) to a 7-10k lb boat and try to go anywhere but the nearest boat ramp. Hell, even pulling it out of the water might be a sight to see.

just looking at the grady website and that model is 4600# not sure how much all the gear would add. looks like 7400# is the tow rating with the 3.55 gears. I would try and stay around 5500# as a max. I think there is a place for some of these smaller engines just stay within your comfort level and have a good breaking system in place. I tow 22 foot searunner and a 23 ft travel trailer with my jeep cherokee 3l diesel engine. Is it a little under powered to go up the coquihalla yes a little as i cant stomp on it and get it moving like maybe a diesel 3500 but instead of going 110 up the hill i go 80 or 90. I do a lot better than the older diesels before turbos going up that hill.

most trucks are gross overkill for the loads they are pulling. A properly balanced trailer and tongue weight are the key and good trailer brakes , brakes , brakes , brakes!. Sure a 350 will get you there in good fashion , but is it necessary?
beemer

Last edited:
Everyone is knocking on the Ecoboost. Have you ever actually driven one? She's pretty torque-y once you get the turbo spooling. I wouldn't buy the 2.7 but I have driven the 3.5 and its great. The older models (steel body) actually tow better than the new aluminum ones. But they can haul your boat no problem. Too many people have an old school mentality that they need the biggest V8 available for them to actually tow something.

An ecoboost would tow your boat fine. From my experience though, the tranny might crap out on you. I know of a few that have kicked the bucket after a couple years. Maybe that is why they are coming out with the 10 speed for 2017? Who knows if that will solve the problem or make it worse..

I disagree on that. Your much safer with a bigger motor and heavy duty transmission. Your talking a Grady which is very heavy. More is better. Its not old school mentality. I see so many getting minimum truck and then get pissed off when it cant tow. If you dont like gas consumption get a diesel. For that boat you need if ford a F250 in a bigger motor in F350.

Eco boost are pretty gutless if you ask me. My boats 18 feet but its a heavy Malibu hull. Even with my 5.3L in the GMC it lets me know its is there. I couldn't imagine that engine with a 23 foot boat.

I tow up and down the Malahat on South island regularly and you need the power.

Inset brand 'X' here... Doesn't really matter. Anything above low 20's for footage with a cuddy and cabin, should consider a diesel. Even an older truck if there is a budget concern. They are meant to tow. Gassers get crap mileage with towing. If I towed every week I'd have a diesel for sure, the savings in fuel are worth it alone!

We tow the 20' Aluminum (heavy gauge) boat with a V8 tundra, does fine. I'd be wary with anything bigger though, the brakes just don't cut it on a half ton! Big diesels tow like there is nothing back there :)
Dream truck? 2500 with a cummins... 6-speed manual. Would be nice. So would an extra 100 grand LOL

My 23 Ft Hourston fully loaded weighs in at #7700 on the trailer. Trailer is good for #10000. I would never tow with a 1/2 ton. Brakes are the big thing , make sure you have good brakes, both truck and trailer. First thing I did when I got the boat, was loaded like I was going on a big trip for a week. Took it down to the scale and weighed it. That way you know exactly what your towing.
What I hear all the time is "it will pull it" yes but can it stop it at 50-100K in a emergency stop fully loaded. Or coming down the Malahat and someone stops to take in the view. Better to have more of what you need and not need it, then need it and not have it. I'm a diesel guy so have towed with a 2008 dodge 2500 and a 2005 Ford F350 and the Dodge was the way better truck to tow with. The Ford got the better fuel mileage. Hope that helps, good luck on your search.

I have to disagree with the naysayers and half ton brakes,
I also quite regularily tow our 28' travel trailer up and down the coq with the new engine breaking systems on these trucks I rarely touch the brakes coming down the coq, I usually keep my vehicles for a very long time and wanted something I could wrench on myself when the time comes,
Wasn't to excited about 6000$ Diesel injection pumps, egr's and the other long list of stupidly expensive items on the diesels, maybe just maybe if they ever put an Allison behind a cummins in a GM I may change my mind
But until then I'll stay with my gas pot.
As far as the gulfstream coming in at 4600 lbs I'm betting that's the empty hull less power, I weighed mine when I brought it across at the scale and it was 8800 on the trailer, add 250 gals of fuel, full fresh water, gear and whatever else and your pushing 10,000lbs

I'm sorry but i cant buy that reasoning on brakes. In a emergency stop the 1/2 ton vs 1 ton are both hitting the car infront of them if the trailer brakes dont do their job. Trucks breaks arent designed for max tow ratings they are designed for the tow trucks weight and payload. So yes they will be better but i would bet they wouldnt help a whole lot in that 50 to 100 foot full stop emergency situation. thats just my own opinion.

I too have a 23' Hourston. Had a 2004 F250, 5.4 ltr that struggled to pull it. Last year I bought a 2013 F150 3.5 ltr eco boost and the difference is unbelievable. I'm not towing often but when I do it's over Menzies Mtn north of CR. No problems at all.
I'll admit, the fuel economy is ugly while towing but pretty good when not, which is most of the time.

we all are victims of overkill.....do we need to have 23' boats or bigger to fish....no we don't. We do it out of safety and comfort. Same as in a truck.....half tons pulling 10,000 pound boats is crazy. From a carbon footprint as well as a pocket book. I can't imagine..... I'll comfortably pull my 22 with my diesel and positively KNOW I'm ok doing it....and get 20 mpg....I will stay far behind you half ton guys pulling 10,000 pound boats.....

GnB

Back