Exhaust manifolds

Aw-Crap

anyone got a good place to buy a set of hot dipped or E-coated manifolds and risers and has anyone used P.P.T. marine

anyone got a good place to buy a set of hot dipped or E-coated manifolds and risers and has anyone used P.P.T. marine
There’s a few places that will hot dip your manifolds but I understand that the zinc will burn off really quick inside.

If you have closed cooling, don't worry about manifolds - they last well, even in salt water. Cast iron risers should be checked every year after the first two. It's easy to do. As for the various coatings, is it worth the extra money? I've heard the electro deposition 2 part coating is the best, if you go that way. I looked into this a while back and I think it was Performance Marine that offered it.

There’s a few places that will hot dip your manifolds but I understand that the zinc will burn off really quick inside.
Silver city is the place that I use for galvanizing. Big or small projects they’re happy to help

I put new Volvo original manifolds on this spring. Had almost 5 seasons on the Sierra knockoffs that were installed last time around due to time constraints. No leaks but I use the boat a lot so I wanted to go no longer than 5 years. The boat was dry stored 90% of the time and I flushed it with fresh water religiously. Still, the insides were well corroded so now that the boat is wet slipped in a shed, I added a big valve that I can close off the saltwater pickup and connect to city water. I've also started using salt away after each run too so we will see how these things last.

Attachments

• 20200206_110213_resized_1.jpg
    20200206_110213_resized_1.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200206_110250_resized_1.jpg
    20200206_110250_resized_1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 32
For manifolds ill be honest no matter what the use alot of little it doesnt matter change them out every 5 years just toss them yeah you may get 6 years but why bother consider 2 grand every 5 years so that works out to 400 a year to "run" your boat thats almost 1 month moorage pretty cheap really . last ones I used in my 383 stroker were the closed water system by HGE called dry joint HUGE water jacket at end of exhaust port no way that corrosion would be a issue , this is what it looks like. for a 5.7

1608736445603.png

For manifolds ill be honest no matter what the use alot of little it doesnt matter change them out every 5 years just toss them yeah you may get 6 years but why bother consider 2 grand every 5 years so that works out to 400 a year to "run" your boat thats almost 1 month moorage pretty cheap really . last ones I used in my 383 stroker were the closed water system by HGE called dry joint HUGE water jacket at end of exhaust port no way that corrosion would be a issue , this is what it looks like. for a 5.7

View attachment 59870
Where did you get your HGE manifolds wolf?

Somewhere in vancouver just google it? they also use the really good gaskets the metal fiber ones that have holders to help line up the gaskets very very easy if and when you do order I always bought a extra set as my old boat needed to take manifold off to get to starter

I carry a extra manifold and riser gasket in the boat for the same reason. ( in case I have to get at the starter. )

hey wolf, I just put manifolds and risers on my volvo penta 5.0 and the final bill was about $3,000... did I pay too much or should I expect to pay this every few years? I went with OEM volvo risers

Well a set of manifolds and risers is $1,108.86 from them before taxes so I guess you have to ask yourself that for an answer . manifolds are very easy to install as all hardware and gaskets are included if I remember even bolts what I like about that system yo put the to outer bolts on loose then just slide the gasket over top inbetween heads and manifolds as it has hangers to hold it in place. Did a shop do the work for you???

One benefit of having a certified volvo shop install volvo parts is a warranty is included too. $3k including taxes seems ok, parts from volvo around around half and I'm guesisng they asked for 6 h of labor. Last time I did ours in the spring, I also had the starter sent out for rebuild and the heat exchanher, plus I had every single hose changed out so my bill was higher.

It was over $2K just for the OEM Volvo risers and manifolds, then labour on top. Ill definitely try to install them myself next time. On a side note, I've owned a lot of outboards but there are some nice advantages to the inboard with the duo prop

On a side note, I've owned a lot of outboards but there are some nice advantages to the inboard with the duo prop
oh dont get this debate going but have to agree I LOVE the duo prop first time I tried it was sold on it great hole shot and turning and backing up super easy

oh dont get this debate going but have to agree I LOVE the duo prop first time I tried it was sold on it great hole shot and turning and backing up super easy
I also love the sound and torque of a V8. plus the heater :)

I was also quoted 2 grand for manifolds and risers for my Volvo setup. 1100 sounds like a good price if the last as long. Did you get the average 5 years out of yours wolf?

I did 4 years as it dosent matter to me and yes the first set still looked great as the water jacket is so huge I dont think it could ever corrode to that point they also use Rubber seals where the water passes thru. Mercury has been using this type for many years

Back