Event: A Celebration of Herring - June 8th 7-10pm - Steveston Cannery

tincan

Herring event: Join the Heiltsuk Nation, Pacific Wild, and guests at the Gulf of Georgia Cannery in Steveston, B.C. for an unforgettable evening of cuisine, culture, and natural history - a multimedia event in support of herring conservation.
Proceeds from this event go to support herring conservation efforts in the Great Bear Rainforest.

http://pacificwild.org/site/events/1430842687.html

Anyone plan on attending this dinner / film / event tomorrow night?

[video=vimeo;128760730]https://vimeo.com/128760730

Attachments

• hawksworth-cel-of-herring-web.jpg
    hawksworth-cel-of-herring-web.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 89
I read an earlier article on this online. What I found a little unsettling was the mention of a lucrative roe on kelp fishery. I'm no expert but is the conservation plan really a conservation plan, or simply a shift in how and who harvests the roe. Seems to me both the fishery and roe on kelp harvest need to be stopped to be effective?

I read an earlier article on this online. What I found a little unsettling was the mention of a lucrative roe on kelp fishery. I'm no expert but is the conservation plan really a conservation plan, or simply a shift in how and who harvests the roe. Seems to me both the fishery and roe on kelp harvest need to be stopped to be effective?

the herring roe on kelp fishery lets the herring live on... not just kill the herring , take the roe, grind up carcass for fish farm meal.

OK , get that and it seems reasonable. So is the harvest of roe on kelp,well regulated and is the plan to stop a commercial harvest? If not its not really conservation , especially if its lucrative,because at the end of the day you are still wiping out the next generation and you know over harvesting will happen right? Am I being to sceptical?

Good questions, Ziggy - good answer trophywife.

To add some more meat on the bones - DFO has refused so far to acknowledge/integrate any marine plans developed by First Nations where there are staggered biomass-based conservation levels (i.e. Ecosystem-based Management) for conservation, SoK (Spawn-on-Kelp), and finally so-called "kill" fisheries (gillnet and seine). They have boycotted the Marine Planning Process (MAPP) which carried on after the Harper regime pulled out of PNCIMA - after the Enbridge bunch applied pressure.

DFO has also refused to acknowledge/integrate the idea of "metapopulations" where there are distinct area-based spawning levels, since the way DFO does DNA (and there are other methodologies and other results that they refuse to integrate) - they can't tell.

And...finally DFO does - as they normally do - some hocus-pocus on estimating herring numbers - adding a quotient "q" - OUT OF THE AIR - to multiply their estimates of herring returns - artificially increasing raw spawning biomass index by a set amount.

No ziggy - I don't think you are being too skeptical. Even the courts have agreed in the past and granted injunctions against the Fisheries Minister who even went against the internal advise of her scientists. Some of this was covered before on this thread: http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...se-to-Block-Herring-Fishery&highlight=herring

Last edited by a moderator:
Great event. Man that spawn on kelp dish was delicious.

I was impressed with the talk the Heiltsuk band gave. Nothing's ever going to be perfect, but I do prefer them having a bigger role to play in management, as opposed to the current DFO&commercial management

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back