ETIQUETTE AT THE CAP?

Seems pretty easy, doesn’t it. There’s almost always one donkey in the fleet, I try to educate them and often they don’t know the drill and are thankful for pointing it out. Lots of newbies fishing in popular spots they read about online and need to learn some etiquette. Sometimes they’re just jerks which can result in an exchange of salty language. Hahaha
I'm not saying it works 100% of the time, But if the guys that know try and follow these simple rules it makes life a little easier. Your never going to have a perfect day with a bunch of fisherman in one place.

It's been mentioned in a previous post. There is this "thing" called Collision Regulations. It is a rather in depth and particular fussy rule book with lots of silly rules. (sarcasm there just to be clear). You abide by that and when all else fails both or all vessels do everything possible to avoid a collision.

Simple really.

never fished the Cap but I’ve seen vids— looks like me and a hundred of my best buds all trying to catch a fish in a small place.

I went through the boats-too-close-for-comfort thing this summer up in Central Coast. A couple of 28 and 30 foot KF’s and Gradys showed up in a very tight place and it easily could have been bumper cars

I just left....not worth it for me because there are too many other spots where you don’t have to have a 30 foot Grady two meters off your transom (really...the guy was so close I could see the whites of his knuckles gripping the wheel). I was in a small Bay not much bigger then a swimming pool when he came up on me like that

But what struck me most about how all of a sudden things have changed up there over the last few years with bigger and bigger boats stacking up in smaller and smaller places, some of them being operated by clueless dick heads....

This could be the new normal.

If I extrapolate the potential increases of MPA’s, situations like you guys describe seeing at the CAP in a few years might be what we all will just call....

....fishing...

Last edited:
Been watching this thread.

Experience has been especially on weekends we have had to fend boats off with our hands including collisions; and we were respecting the proper tack. I recall a guy in a smaller tinny crashing right into the side of us. All in all.....a **** show.

Have also seen the boats tacking north/south including a ~30' Cutwater that did it ALL THE TIME.

Add to that even those on the proper tack don't pay attention to anything around them (could be them trying to avoid others) but had a tyee on a few years back that was running all over the place; had to yell at a guys screaming "Sea Ray......Seay Ray!!!) as he was on his fly-bridge about to run across the big fish I was fighting. I had to horse the fish to get out of his way. What was he looking at......his cell phone. Ugh.

Been watching this thread.

Experience has been especially on weekends we have had to fend boats off with our hands including collisions; and we were respecting the proper tack. I recall a guy in a smaller tinny crashing right into the side of us. All in all.....a **** show.

Have also seen the boats tacking north/south including a ~30' Cutwater that did it ALL THE TIME.

Add to that even those on the proper tack don't pay attention to anything around them (could be them trying to avoid others) but had a tyee on a few years back that was running all over the place; had to yell at a guys screaming "Sea Ray......Seay Ray!!!) as he was on his fly-bridge about to run across the big fish I was fighting. I had to horse the fish to get out of his way. What was he looking at......his cell phone. Ugh.
Aren’t you the guy who’s thrown hotdogs at other boats ?:p

Back